The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

you need to compare apples to apples, at 23 Miller and PLD are basically equivalent, with PLD scoring more goals. 

If you're looking to de-risk on age, Miller for PLD is a no-brainer isn't it? 

I’d do that trade for sure.    But PLD will never have Miller’s skill.  He’d be our three C behind Petey and Bo.  But maybe that’s a better fit for our group?  He could check.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’d do that trade for sure.    But PLD will never have Miller’s skill.  He’d be our three C behind Petey and Bo.  But maybe that’s a better fit for our group?  He could check.  

whatever we do, I just don't want it to kill our C depth. 

Guys like Tierny are OK, but they are not on the level of Petey, Bo, Miller or PLD. I'm all for support guys, particularly if they bring size, but lets stop pretending bit players like Dickinson are quality C's. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Have fans traded Miller for draft picks thereby insuring a perpetual rebuild ad vitam eternam yet no great movinonn…

Lots of posters still buying the 649 lotto quick pick with a crisp 50 dollar bill.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, JM_ said:

sure if he lives up to it, but its another looming issue with the contracts Benning left us. 

Another game, another example of why I'm not worried about Petey (or letting Miller go... and putting a better team around Petey and the rest of the young core).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Another game, another example of why I'm not worried about Petey (or letting Miller go... and putting a better team around Petey and the rest of the young core).

If Allvin can move Miller for a young centre, who can fill the 3C hole, then I think that’s a win for us.  If the guy is bigger and plays with meanness, that’s even better.  

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

funny, its a game where I thought thank god we had extra C depth. If we had some bigger bodies as well Vegas wouldn't have hemmed us in as badly in the 3rd.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If Allvin can move Miller for a young centre, who can fill the 3C hole, then I think that’s a win for us.  If the guy is bigger and plays with meanness, that’s even better.  

Doesn't have to be for a 3C. We have some solid UFA Upton's available this summer in Paul, Tierney and Sturm.

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

funny, its a game where I thought thank god we had extra C depth. If we had some bigger bodies as well Vegas wouldn't have hemmed us in as badly in the 3rd.

And again, moving Miller doesn't mean we have to carry on, down C depth. We just don't need to commit more, massive dollars and term to the position when we have Pettersson and Horvat. 

Yeah, we could have really used Pearson in the lineup ;)

14 hours ago, JM_ said:

sign them all ::D

That hockey nut Jan was suggesting PLD for Miller, I mean if that kind of thing is on the table count me in. 

Honestly wouldn't be opposed to doing near just that.

One of Tierney/Paul, Sturm and Richardson would be just fine IMO.

Have a bottom 6 of:

Pearson, Paul/Tierney, Hoglander

Dickinson, Sturm, Lammiko

Richardson

Yes please.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Doesn't have to be for a 3C. We have some solid UFA Upton's available this summer in Paul, Tierney and Sturm.

And again, moving Miller doesn't mean we have to carry on, down C depth. We just don't need to commit more, massive dollars and term to the position when we have Pettersson and Horvat. 

true, I just wish he was on a better deal. 

That Petey last night tho, he was everywhere. 

Just now, aGENT said:

Honestly wouldn't be opposed to doing near just that.

One of Tierney/Paul, Sturm and Richardson would be just fine IMO.

Have a bottom 6 of:

Pearson, Paul/Tierney, Hoglander

Dickinson, Sturm, Lammiko

Richardson

Yes please.

get Dickinson out of there and I think you're on to something. I'm not sold on Hog's either, I'd be fine with it if he was part of a trade, but with his injury I can't see it. 

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Weren't  there rumours about a young 3C as part of the return for Miller?  Young C + young D?  (Until our owner stepped in and nixed any Miller trade.)

Now, i think if we do trade Miller (i don't think our owner will allow it though) we will get one young piece instead of the two before the TDL.

14 hours ago, JM_ said:

sign them all ::D

That hockey nut Jan was suggesting PLD for Miller, I mean if that kind of thing is on the table count me in. 

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

I wouldn't actually be shocked. Their window isn't exactly going to be open much longer and PLD's been decent but hasn't really lived up to the hype either. Would likely allow them to make one last real push...doubt they'd be able to retain him though (I don't see Miller staying in WPG regardless of money :lol: ).

By the time PLD is maybe something like as good as Miller now, they're probably rebuilding anyway...

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not to be THAT guy... but I came up with the PLD idea first ::D  Jan took my idea and expanded it into a 3-way trade hehe

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Do you have a little known to the Allvin quote we don’t have a superstar?  I’ve read that opinion here before, but not sene an actual quote.  

I have heard Allvin saying we have a franchise goalie though.  

The Province did a piece on Allvin on Sunday, April 3, and in it he is quoted as saying "We have some good players here in place, I think every single player down there in the room has something to prove. We don't have the superstar. We're not a contending team right now." 

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

Miller to hometown(ish) CBJ 

to VAN

Cole Sillinger

carson Cuelemens

Kent Johnson

Boone Jenner

to CBJ

Miller

2022 VAN 1st

Boeser  

I don't think this would ever happen, that's a lot of cap for CBJ to take on, but I like the idea of getting one or two of CBJs prospects.

Maybe a deal could be done there?  CBJ will want to take another step next year.  

to CBJ:  Miller

to VAN:  (RFA) Laine and Cuelemans

Canucks apparently don't have a superstar, so maybe this is how they get one

Laine - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Could be formidable 

45 minutes ago, JM_ said:

get Dickinson out of there and I think you're on to something. I'm not sold on Hog's either, I'd be fine with it if he was part of a trade, but with his injury I can't see it. 

I'd love to, but I don't think we going to be able to get rid of Dickinson, unless we buy him out.

Plus, I have to hope that somewhere in there is the player (probably as winger though) that he was in Dallas, and hope that this year was just a case of new city/new team/not fitting in to the hoped for C role/bad Green start to the season etc.

WAY too early to give up on Hoglander IMO. That'll age almost as well as the people wanting to trade Pettersson IMO.

That said, depending on the return, I'm not opposed to moving him. I wonder what him and Rathbone packaged could get us...?

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't think this would ever happen, that's a lot of cap for CBJ to take on, but I like the idea of getting one or two of CBJs prospects.

Maybe a deal could be done there?  CBJ will want to take another step next year.  

to CBJ:  Miller

to VAN:  (RFA) Laine and Cuelemans

Canucks apparently don't have a superstar, so maybe this is how they get one

Laine - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Could be formidable 

I like Laine as a player, but as a person, no thanks.  He's making $7.5M right now, knowing his personality and attitude, I could see him asking for $9M on a 7 or 8 year deal.  Is he worth that?  Who knows... maybe if he turns into a 50 goal scorer... but he could also be the sub 1.0 PPG, 30 goal guy too.

Just now, HKSR said:

I like Laine as a player, but as a person, no thanks.  He's making $7.5M right now, knowing his personality and attitude, I could see him asking for $9M on a 7 or 8 year deal.  Is he worth that?  Who knows... maybe if he turns into a 50 goal scorer... but he could also be the sub 1.0 PPG, 30 goal guy too.

yeah, not really a fan of the person either, but I can only hope that was because he was immature, back then the Canucks had this "rule" about video games, and Laine made some comments. In hindsite, banning video games was silly. These guys are millionaire professionals. Laine is a goal scorer, and maybe playing with Petey and Podz would even increase his production. 

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Weren't  there rumours about a young 3C as part of the return for Miller?  Young C + young D?  (Until our owner stepped in and nixed any Miller trade.)

Now, i think if we do trade Miller (i don't think our owner will allow it though) we will get one young piece instead of the two before the TDL.

Potentially. Young F anyway. Guys like Chytil were rumoured to be in an offer but he projects more as W'er that can fill in at C than an outright C. I'd still be targeting a Paul/Tierney/Sturm regardless.

Otherwise, take you're silly owner narrative elsewhere. Management didn't do a trade because nobody was willing to cough up the overpay we were (rightly) asking for two, cost controlled playoff runs with Miller. We were under zero pressure to move him without an overpay as he's still under contract. That's it. There's no "owner conspiracy".

That and management sound like they'd like to see if they can sell him on a home town discount to stay. That's doubtful IMO, but I don't blame them for trying. He IS a good player. If by some miracle they get him to agree to something like $7.5x6 (though longer than I'd prefer)... Great! I just don't see that as a realistic or likely outcome.

And Miller is still worth a good young player, a good ready/near ready prospect and a pick IMO. More if we retain.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1