The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

It’s not goal post moving,

Miller is worth more to us in this team, than by trading him. He is better than Horvat.

But Horvat will bring the same, or more in a return. 
Why? .. because no one is devaluing him as a declining asset, and he is highly regarded as the face of Canuck hockey.

Horvat will never touch the ceiling Miller is at, but Miller could easily only decline to give us the out put that Horvat has.… and the talk here is Miller might only be worth 1m more per year than Horvat.

Miller is worth more to US than Horvat.… 

but if posters here are looking for a high return from another team for Miller,.  Realistically, I don’t see it being more than what Horvat would bring in a trade.

So IF we’re going to trade a player from the player position of Center, why would we trade our best one ,  when we have another of equal value to another team,  but lesser to us in his position.

too many here have attachments to “birthing” draft picks as their own, and holding them forever in their hearts not wanting to move them and expecting home town discounts because of that “love”.

it’s not a knock,.  It’s just a reality..

it has been the “culture” here for quite a long time.

This is Millers 3rd of 4th season with us,.  and has been dynamically grown into a superb player and leader with this team.

He has openly said he is grateful for the opportunities he has been given to become the best he can.

I just think this city and Fanbase should be as proud of Miller being, and continuing being a Canuck as can be for other “drafted” players for all the wrong reasons.

Miller would not have excelled here unless he enjoys being here..   think about how an extension, and fan appreciation here in Vancouver will have him react.

Wonder how Horvat would do with wingers like EP instead .... guys pretty solid given Pearson and LE were his mostly regular wingers since Miller joined us.   He was also scoring at the highest clip (goals) on the team down the stretch...   He's a pretty valuable second line C ....  At over 40 goals prorated.    Maybe he's got a Kesler like peak performance in him, not on the other side of the puck, he's decent defensively, adequate at least, but i would wonder how he'd do with equal linemates as Miller.    Bear and Brock so far was his high water mark.   For sure he's got better wingers then he did with Green now ... 

Miller is a great Canuck ... IF he re-signs with us, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him on the first page, with a lot of other Canuck legends, after he retires and The Hockey News does their ranking of teams and their best players all-time.  He's already cracked the top 50.   And when this seasons done might even be in the top 30.    Horvat of course is too.   We are lucky to have both of them ... and a pretty deep forward group ... possibly the deepest we've had since the early 90's. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lmao trying to sign miller first makes more sense because of cap situation? it's a lot easier to sign Bo once they figure out what they are doing with Miller?? signing Bo first basically gives Miller all the leverage in the world? if u sign bo to 7mil 7.5mil or anything around that range.. you think u can get miller to sign for that?? considering you are saying Miller is TWICE the player will ever be? but i guess logic doesn't apply with you when it comes to Miller since u want to re-sign him at all cost all player on this team is trash and never be anything close to miller.. he's the best player in the world not name mcdavid best player in the franchise history etc etc etc.

Re-signing either guy will affect the other ...whomever gets signed first will make a statement on the cap pecking order on the team.   Miller shouldn't earn less then EP for example.   And won't either.   It's his UFA deal .... and he's earned it.   Sure age plays into it.    Horvat hasn't played as long as Miller,  but both guys played well enough to earn a spot on their teams off the hop.   Funny, the first thing I said when we traded for Miller was "we just added another Horvat "...and we kind of did. 

Horvat never complains, has a stoic leadership quality that isn't bad at all - Sakic did too, same with Yzerman.   Nobody questions their leadership abilities, and shouldn't either.    

Nobody expected Miller to go for 100 points last year ... made the season memorable in a good way.    That said, would anyone be shocked to see Horvat score at a PPG pace with EP and Brock on his wings?   I sure wouldn't.   Not saying Horvat is a better playmaker because he's not, but believe he's for sure a better goal scorer - but isn't played in the Ozone as often as possible etc either.    40-45 goals under Bruce down the stretch was what he was on par for ... EP too.     

We need BOTH these guys to sign if we want to continue to have strength down the middle, and would be stoked if they announced signings at the same time.   We for sure don't need any made up leadership stuff ... This teams full of leaders.    

I know our D needs tweaking.   And eventually we will get there.   Miller for Dobson or Byram would be amazing, but doubt it's going to happen.   We trade Ilya M or Garland plus Pearson, we've got money for all the teams raises....for sure it will hurt some ... but for sure it's possible too.    And some of that coming back will be their cheaper replacements cap wise.   The TDL is the time to deal with that.   It's either going to be Miller or a couple other guys.   I doubt even if we are in a great position going into the post season (unless for some odd reason we are a top 2 team in the West),  it's going to happen.   Cap will be cleared to either sign these guys, or Miller gets traded.   Not a fun time to live in a cap world for a lot of teams .... ours ... is just getting good and WHAM!  Got to take our lumps. 

20 hours ago, tas said:

wah wah wah. entitled much? billy at school got a nintendo under the christmas tree and I only got a sweater!

Yeah, can't wait for September, the kids go back to school and can't spend all day on CDC, and..

The players come back to camp!

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

So he is worth sooo much more,  is a great player….    so what happened to the declining asset argument that has everyone wanting to move him??

Do you not think another team would use that same argument in any type of return back for Miller.. ? 

The Struggle No GIF by The Runner go90

and if he goes at the trade DL ,  it’s for a flash in the pan with a team hoping to get to at least a conference championship.

After that he goes UFA.  
a complete loss to another team.

Pretty sure management wants  him here more than Bo,.   Otherwise Bo would have been signed already.

Not signing Bo before Miller is a huge indicator.

Get some sleep Sam; this is completely out to lunch.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Agree in principle, but Bo's face-off percentage would have to be replaced and then some.  I've said this in a few threads and I'm sticking to it.....I'd love to see Bo on the team without being the captain.  It won't happen, but it's the only knock I have on him.  Bo is more replaceable than a current version of Miller, but overall Bo is tough to replace.

JR just said he likes Bo as captain; JR is a straight shooter.

Well, it's almost August, we've got over 20,000 posts in this thread, so I'm going to shoot my blanks off.

This plan gets us cap space, keeps our draft picks and best player/players, keeps us under the cap max, and wins a lot of hockey games:

1.  Keep both Bo and JT; great strength down the key forward position (with or without Petey as a center); for less money than they are worth.

2.  TDL deals do not include key players going out, just cleaning up the lesser lights.

3.  Win a lot of games, make the playoffs, and make a huge splash there, gaining respect from the league and building tremendous team spirit.

4.  Next year, with a $1m cap increase, and all the dead cap and penalties etc. off the books, sign Miller and Bo to decent, but basically team-friendlier deals due to them really wanting to Win The Cup in Vancouver!

5.  Drink champagne and Carry The Cup to Stanley Park and keep it there forever more.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

And that's the only way we can build our prospect pool without taking a step back in our play    get young assets for a player you have and sign a Ufa.  

How many picks/ prospects could you get for miller/ garland and what if you signed Klingberg/Kadri for example? 

We want to do these things.   Shed cap. Build up the prospect. Make the playoffs. 

And do that by not taking pics for miller because it's too risky.  Can't trade Garland......heart and soul on a good contract

Well you know how much Boeser is loved. Can't trade Bo. Nobody wants OEL    nobody wants Myers.   

I guess we're looking at Miracles then. 

miracles? yeah one would help. 

Its not simple thats for sure. I see Garland as trading from an area where we actually have some depth. I don't think we can get much back for him, but we can use his cap space to improve in other areas. 

The only contracts we can trade are good ones, no one wants our cap mistakes. 

• Cheers 3

54 minutes ago, JM_ said:

miracles? yeah one would help. 

Its not simple thats for sure. I see Garland as trading from an area where we actually have some depth. I don't think we can get much back for him, but we can use his cap space to improve in other areas. 

The only contracts we can trade are good ones, no one wants our cap mistakes. 

We need a healthy Poolman, a rejuvenated Dickenson, an improved Rathbone, and to wait out a couple dogs.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

We need a healthy Poolman, a rejuvenated Dickenson, an improved Rathbone, and to wait out a couple dogs.

I think we just might be stuck with an LTIR situation there on Poolman, is there even a treatment for exercise induced migraines?

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

JR just said he likes Bo as captain; JR is a straight shooter.

That may be so.....I'm just saying that I'm not a fan as him for a captain.  I would love to see him as an alternate instead but it won't happen. Naslund was one of my favourite players of all time but I said the same about him too.  It's not a lack of appreciation for Bo.....I like him on the team. I just think it's wrong that he was given the C early on in his career with a declining team.

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Well, it's almost August, we've got over 20,000 posts in this thread, so I'm going to shoot my blanks off.

This plan gets us cap space, keeps our draft picks and best player/players, keeps us under the cap max, and wins a lot of hockey games:

1.  Keep both Bo and JT; great strength down the key forward position (with or without Petey as a center); for less money than they are worth.

2.  TDL deals do not include key players going out, just cleaning up the lesser lights.

3.  Win a lot of games, make the playoffs, and make a huge splash there, gaining respect from the league and building tremendous team spirit.

4.  Next year, with a $1m cap increase, and all the dead cap and penalties etc. off the books, sign Miller and Bo to decent, but basically team-friendlier deals due to them really wanting to Win The Cup in Vancouver!

5.  Drink champagne and Carry The Cup to Stanley Park and keep it there forever more.

I’m not sure this is a “plan” but I like it!

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, SilentSam said:

It’s not goal post moving,

Miller is worth more to us in this team, than by trading him. He is better than Horvat.

But Horvat will bring the same, or more in a return. 
Why? .. because no one is devaluing him as a declining asset, and he is highly regarded as the face of Canuck hockey.

Horvat will never touch the ceiling Miller is at, but Miller could easily only decline to give us the out put that Horvat has.… and the talk here is Miller might only be worth 1m more per year than Horvat.

Miller is worth more to US than Horvat.… 

but if posters here are looking for a high return from another team for Miller,.  Realistically, I don’t see it being more than what Horvat would bring in a trade.

So IF we’re going to trade a player from the player position of Center, why would we trade our best one ,  when we have another of equal value to another team,  but lesser to us in his position.

too many here have attachments to “birthing” draft picks as their own, and holding them forever in their hearts not wanting to move them and expecting home town discounts because of that “love”.

it’s not a knock,.  It’s just a reality..

it has been the “culture” here for quite a long time.

This is Millers 3rd of 4th season with us,.  and has been dynamically grown into a superb player and leader with this team.

He has openly said he is grateful for the opportunities he has been given to become the best he can.

I just think this city and Fanbase should be as proud of Miller being, and continuing being a Canuck as can be for other “drafted” players for all the wrong reasons.

Miller would not have excelled here unless he enjoys being here..   think about how an extension, and fan appreciation here in Vancouver will have him react.

I think it's pretty clear he has no intention of staying in Van unless they drastically overpay him.  You consistently seem to dismiss that reality

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

That may be so.....I'm just saying that I'm not a fan as him for a captain.  I would love to see him as an alternate instead but it won't happen. Naslund was one of my favourite players of all time but I said the same about him too.  It's not a lack of appreciation for Bo.....I like him on the team. I just think it's wrong that he was given the C early on in his career with a declining team.

Get over it; you're not the president or GM, and if our huge new management team is good with Bo as 'Cap', we should be too.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I think we just might be stuck with an LTIR situation there on Poolman, is there even a treatment for exercise induced migraines?

I don't know but*, I did have migraines (not exercise-induced that I know of) that I got over, with, believe it or not, Alka-Seltzer; which definitely works for only some people, but definitely worth a try; to that I can attest. 

Also, a lot of people do get over or learn to manage migraines; others commit suicide, which I can also understand; until the Alka-Seltzer, I was taking $20 a pop pills 3 - 4 times a day when I was only supposed to be taking one or two a week!. 

And those pills took 45 minutes of agony to take effect; the AS took effect within 5 minutes.

There is a lot more research into these things than my 25 year old experience with the malady.

JR & Co seem to be saying he is doing better and we all are hoping for the best, both for the team and for the person.

*Reminds me of a T-Shirt I saw that said:

I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll have a look...

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I don't know but*, I did have migraines (not exercise-induced that I know of) that I got over, with, believe it or not, Alka-Seltzer; which definitely works for only some people, but definitely worth a try; to that I can attest. 

A friend suffers as well- he has found that putting his hands in ice cold water for a while, helps him. Maybe more placebo than actually therapeutic, but works for him.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Also, a lot of people do get over or learn to manage migraines; others commit suicide, which I can also understand; until the Alka-Seltzer, I was taking $20 a pop pills 3 - 4 times a day when I was only supposed to be taking one or two a week!. 

And those pills took 45 minutes of agony to take effect; the AS took effect within 5 minutes.

There is a lot more research into these things than my 25 year old experience with the malady.

JR & Co seem to be saying he is doing better and we all are hoping for the best, both for the team and for the person.

*Reminds me of a T-Shirt I saw that said:

I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll have a look...

Alka Seltzer? what the heck is the mechanism behind that? or was it just trying stuff until something worked?