The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

11 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Agree in principle, but Bo's face-off percentage would have to be replaced and then some.  I've said this in a few threads and I'm sticking to it.....I'd love to see Bo on the team without being the captain.  It won't happen, but it's the only knock I have on him.  Bo is more replaceable than a current version of Miller, but overall Bo is tough to replace.

I too can appreciate Bo’s contribution here,.  But at REAL,  price point and term needs to adjust to that contribution and as a declining asset.

That’s where I’d consider  replacing him with someone like a   PLDubois might make sense.

24 years old and rising,  heavier game.

im playing the part of Devils advocate in this thread because the time to date involved here warrants a discussion at all levels.

Others might call me a hater here,.  but it truly shows their pink virgin hearts.  :) 

39 minutes ago, gurn said:

A friend suffers as well- he has found that putting his hands in ice cold water for a while, helps him. Maybe more placebo than actually therapeutic, but works for him.

Funny enough, by the text book that's actually backwards. Migraines are generally caused by the constriction of blood supply to the brain that decreases blood to the area. That's often why 30 minutes before a migraine patients will know they are about to get one. Then the dilation of blood supply which rushes too much blood into the area and causes pain. obviously there is a very wide assortment of migraines but this is the general physiology of it. Heat tends to draw blood to an area, and cold pushes blood out of an area. That's why we ice a fresh injury and heat a chronic injury. Heating the hands and feet while applying ice to the head and neck will force blood away from the migraine and into the distal limbs, which for more patients will help reduce symptoms. I find it very interesting that for some patients the exact opposite works though. The human body is fascinating. 

31 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Alka Seltzer? what the heck is the mechanism behind that? or was it just trying stuff until something worked? 

Alka Seltzer is mostly Asprin, which is an anti-inflammatory, and can be effective for treating moderate headaches and migraines  

Edited by Shayster007
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lmao trying to sign miller first makes more sense because of cap situation? it's a lot easier to sign Bo once they figure out what they are doing with Miller?? signing Bo first basically gives Miller all the leverage in the world? if u sign bo to 7mil 7.5mil or anything around that range.. you think u can get miller to sign for that?? considering you are saying Miller is TWICE the player will ever be? but i guess logic doesn't apply with you when it comes to Miller since u want to re-sign him at all cost all player on this team is trash and never be anything close to miller.. he's the best player in the world not name mcdavid best player in the franchise history etc etc etc.

That dosent make any sense at all,.   and probably why Bo haven’t been signed already.

if you get Miller to sign a contract that is fair, then you have the option to move Horvat to supplement Millers contract.

Replacing Horvat is easier than replacing Miller, without taking a step back.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Alka Seltzer? what the heck is the mechanism behind that? or was it just trying stuff until something worked? 

My wife read it in a magazine.

Once you have them you will marinate chicken guts in urine if you think it will work.

I was said goodbye to my wife; I just couldn't take it anymore.

Just this year, my neighbor admitted he was suffering migraines so I gave him a box (I keep a couple on hand) and it works for him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Wonder how Horvat would do with wingers like EP instead .... guys pretty solid given Pearson and LE were his mostly regular wingers since Miller joined us.   He was also scoring at the highest clip (goals) on the team down the stretch...   He's a pretty valuable second line C ....  At over 40 goals prorated.    Maybe he's got a Kesler like peak performance in him, not on the other side of the puck, he's decent defensively, adequate at least, but i would wonder how he'd do with equal linemates as Miller.    Bear and Brock so far was his high water mark.   For sure he's got better wingers then he did with Green now ... 

Miller is a great Canuck ... IF he re-signs with us, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him on the first page, with a lot of other Canuck legends, after he retires and The Hockey News does their ranking of teams and their best players all-time.  He's already cracked the top 50.   And when this seasons done might even be in the top 30.    Horvat of course is too.   We are lucky to have both of them ... and a pretty deep forward group ... possibly the deepest we've had since the early 90's. 

Perhaps if Bo played better or stepped up to the opportunity while playing 2c , he would not have been outplayed by Miller.

Bo has been here long enough to understand what opportunities exist.

Miller learned, and jumped on those opportunities.

Put Miller with anyone and he conducts his lines to play to their strengths.

… lol,  you make it sound like Horvat has played with LE his entire career.

4 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Get some sleep Sam; this is completely out to lunch.

Nope..   you guys could be in for a rude awakening,.   This the silence on a contract not GIVEN to Horvat yet,  although the org. says they reall like him.  :) 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That dosent make any sense at all,.   and probably why Bo haven’t been signed already.

if you get Miller to sign a contract that is fair, then you have the option to move Horvat to supplement Millers contract.

Replacing Horvat is easier than replacing Miller, without taking a step back.

lol if u sign miller to a contract that is fair? what signs are there saying Miller is willing to take a below market contract? you wouldn't think it's a done deal already if he's willing to sign for say 6x7.5-8mil? obviously he has no interest.. sry replacing horvat is easier than replacing miller?? find me a top 10 faceoff guy that nets you 30+ goals and play mostly in defensive situations only 5v5 in the UFA market.. oh right they don't exist. the last time there was one was who? Tavares?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think it's pretty clear he has no intention of staying in Van unless they drastically overpay him.  You consistently seem to dismiss that reality

I think it’s fair term,  that’s been openly stated.

Like the agent said,  he thinks it can get worked out.

If your looking for a contract that dosent work out for player value,  check out T Hertyls ..

8.2 x 8yrs.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Nope..   you guys could be in for a rude awakening,.   This the silence on a contract not GIVEN to Horvat yet,  although the org. says they reall like him.  :) 

Well, JR did say (quite a long while ago now) that it might mean losing a fan favorite (or two?), but we have lots of time to sign Bo; I highly doubt he is going anywhere.

JT and Bo better stay here if they want to get their names on The Stanley Cup!

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol if u sign miller to a contract that is fair? what signs are there saying Miller is willing to take a below market contract? you wouldn't think it's a done deal already if he's willing to sign for say 6x7.5-8mil? obviously he has no interest.. sry replacing horvat is easier than replacing miller?? find me a top 10 faceoff guy that nets you 30+ goals and play mostly in defensive situations only 5v5 in the UFA market.. oh right they don't exist. the last time there was one was who? Tavares?

Dubois.

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Dubois.

what part of dubois is a top 10 faceoff guy?? he's like a 44% career faceoff % guy.. he takes even less faceoff that JT miller.. and what part of him is a 30+ goal guy? he fits none of the category.. and let's just for whatever reason imagine he is.. you think players like those makes it to UFA if there isn't a specific team they will only go to like tavares? or dubois and montreal?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

You know, it is possible that part of the issue on trading him is, that other teams are having sticker shock on what Miller wants as next contract and are backing away due to that.

You look at the fact that Kadri hasn't signed a long term deal right now, the money isn't out there, and its not going to get significantly better next summer.

Look at Toronto for next summer. They have 7 guys hitting UFA, they only have 12 currently signed and they will have roughly 15 million after the increase to fill out 10..ish spots.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

You know, it is possible that part of the issue on trading him is, that other teams are having sticker shock on what Miller wants as next contract and are backing away due to that.

You look at the fact that Kadri hasn't signed a long term deal right now, the money isn't out there, and its not going to get significantly better next summer.

Look at Toronto for next summer. They have 7 guys hitting UFA, they only have 12 currently signed and they will have roughly 15 million after the increase to fill out 10..ish spots.

Could be why JR didn’t allow teams to talk (think it was about extensions at TDL) with Miller.  If teams knew his asking price, the potential trade may fall apart.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I think it’s fair term,  that’s been openly stated.

Like the agent said,  he thinks it can get worked out.

If your looking for a contract that dosent work out for player value,  check out T Hertyls ..

8.2 x 8yrs.

lol how is that not working for him player value wise? he's getting 8mil + for a guy that have never been a ppg guy in his career.. he's like a 0.75 points per game guy at best.. with 2 30 goal season in his career.. his stats are literally identical to horvat.. if anything he's overpaid.. if hertl is getting 8.2?? horvat should be pointing to that as comparables

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

To date, he’s never scored 30 or been deployed in a heavily defensive/matchup role. 

And he’s younger, more physical , with a higher ceiling potential.

Horvat has probably given us his best,  but at least your pointing out Bo’s value in a trade.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

what part of dubois is a top 10 faceoff guy?? he's like a 44% career faceoff % guy.. he takes even less faceoff that JT miller.. and what part of him is a 30+ goal guy? he fits none of the category.. and let's just for whatever reason imagine he is.. you think players like those makes it to UFA if there isn't a specific team they will only go to like tavares? or dubois and montreal?

Yes, two different players, two different styles, why do we have to replace what Horvat brings to us?

We’re not replacing that if we trade Miller.

If we traded for Bo for Dubois,  I think a sweetener would be included from the Jets,

a pick?

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Yes, two different players, two different styles, why do we have to replace what Horvat brings to us?

We’re not replacing that if we trade Miller.

If we traded for Bo for Dubois,  I think a sweetener would be included from the Jets,

a pick?

Dubois has already said he’s testing the market. Horrendous proposal. 

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1