The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

What world are people living in now where they are criticizing the first round picks because they are later and these kids won't be in the line-up tomorrow? Of course, we all know how the TDL and draft picks work. They are still the best round of draft pick you can get. It doesn't suddenly make the asset worthless like one or two people are trying to pretend here. The players that do make it are usually banging on the door in two or three years and that's a good thing.

If it's going to be hard to trade him if we're in a playoff spot again then we should trade him now. I'm tired of being the doofuses of the league where we hold on to all our players while being a crap team and let them walk for nothing. We got a real hard time dealing with reality on this hockey club sometimes.

1. Do you want a first round pick or nothing

2. Do you want a high ranked prospect or nothing.

3. Do want a roster player for free or nothing.

CDC: Hmmmm. Can I have some more of that nothing sir?

:frantic:

It's not nothing if Miller re-signs

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

That has Gaborik bought a house in Vancouver vibes all over it. Huberdeau isn't overpaid, just like Miller at 9 ish wouldn't be either.

Over a PPG powerforward who is elite in the dot, hits, blocks shots, plays PK, PP, is an incredible leader and has a clear impact on our young core. 

We are just a franchise suffering from Loui Eriksson PTSD and I can't blame anyone for it to be honest. I'm on the Miller train though

Huberdough is grotesquely overpaid in smelly cowpieville.  Top five worst contracts in the league.

Miller lives in Pittsburgh and rents here.  We are not doing what the Cowpies just did and grossly overpaying to keep an aging player.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

What world are people living in now where they are criticizing the first round picks because they are later and these kids won't be in the line-up tomorrow? Of course, we all know how the TDL and draft picks work. They are still the best round of draft pick you can get. It doesn't suddenly make the asset worthless like one or two people are trying to pretend here. The players that do make it are usually banging on the door in two or three years and that's a good thing.

If it's going to be hard to trade him if we're in a playoff spot again then we should trade him now. I'm tired of being the doofuses of the league where we hold on to all our players while being a crap team and let them walk for nothing. We got a real hard time dealing with reality on this hockey club sometimes.

1. Do you want a first round pick or nothing

2. Do you want a high ranked prospect or nothing.

3. Do want a roster player for free or nothing.

CDC: Hmmmm. Can I have some more of that nothing sir?

:frantic:

Are you suggesting Benning was a “Doofus”?  :frantic:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, gurn said:

It would be worse than nothing if he signs 8 years at $9.5 mill.

Absolutely!

Best scenario - Miller re-signs 7.75 x 6

next best - Miller is traded for picks

next best - Miller walks as UFA

bad - Miller is traded for contracts

worst - Miller is re-signed for an anchor contract like the Cowpies did with Huberdough 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, JM_ said:

so more hyperbole then. So far the offers have been insufficient. Why would walking from a lame offer be "the biggest blunder in franchise history". Its only that in people's minds at this point. So far nothing has moved the needle on a trade offer, and there's no guarantee GMs are going to raise their offers either. 

hyperbole in what sense?  You don't think he's arguably oneof the most valuable assets they've had?  You don'tknow what offers there have been anymore than I do.  

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Didn't he just say that they were far off in negotiations for an extension? I haven't seen a single piece of actual news saying he doesn't want to re-sign with us, and I follow this drama every day hoping for it to settle (and hopefully end with a 7 year extension at a reasonable cap hit for both parties)

Being "far apart" sounds a lot like he's "unlikely to re-sign here". Which is what you quoted. I'm sure he'd happily want to re-sign with us at $9x8.

Unless you're working from a different dictionary than the rest of us?

And again, plain logic suggests it's unlikely as well.

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

hyperbole in what sense?  You don't think he's arguably oneof the most valuable assets they've had?  You don'tknow what offers there have been anymore than I do.  

I do know the offers haven't been great, if they were Miller would be gone by now. Allvin also said the offers were not good. What else do we need? 

He is very valuable. Thats why I want to try to keep him. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Being "far apart" sounds a lot like he's "unlikely to re-sign here". Which is what you quoted. I'm sure he'd happily want to re-sign with us at $9x8.

Unless you're working from a different dictionary than the rest of us?

And again, plain logic suggests it's unlikely as well.

So it's speculation. Nobody knows the numbers. They're far apart but both sides have said they're trying to make it work.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I do know the offers haven't been great, if they were Miller would be gone by now. Allvin also said the offers were not good. What else do we need? 

He is very valuable. Thats why I want to try to keep him. 

We will need to overpay to keep Miller though.  I say we just play out the year with him and see if he finds better offers than the one JR is offering.  We might see Miller extend with us July 2, 2023 for 45 mil when he sees that’s the best out there. 

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

So it's speculation. Nobody knows the numbers. They're far apart but both sides have said they're trying to make it work.

there's a lot going on that we just can't know about. We don't know what Miller's risk tolerance is. Sure maybe he can try for something bigger next offseason, but maybe he becomes the next Klingberg and misses out on term.

We'll see where Kadri drops in at soon enough as well. We're not really in any kind of rush right now and have time to work out something on the more reasonable side of things. 

Rushing to trade him in an "anything is better than nothing" mentality is a bad approach, imo. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We do know the numbers.  JR has said six years.  We heard low 40’s total.  And Miller’s agent made his “show me the money” comment when that Shark signed for 65 mil. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We will need to overpay to keep Miller though.  I say we just play out the year with him and see if he finds better offers than the one JR is offering.  We might see Miller extend with us July 2, 2023 for 45 mil when he sees that’s the best out there. 

every team overpays someone tho, its the way of the NHL. 

Its the elite players on teams that make good things happen. So we overpay Miller by 1 mil, so what? go find a cheap plug for the 4th line to make up for it, or one of our own ELCs in 2-3 years. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

every team overpays someone tho, its the way of the NHL. 

Its the elite players on teams that make good things happen. So we overpay Miller by 1 mil, so what? go find a cheap plug for the 4th line to make up for it, or one of our own ELCs in 2-3 years. 

Benning already saddled is with too many 1 and 2 mil per overpays though.  Myers, Pesrson, Dickinson, Poolman, Ferland overpays add up to 6-8 million. I’m all for playing the year and keeping that (rumoured) six year 45 million offer open for JTM to sign at any time.  If he finds a better deal July 1, 2023 good for him.  But I don’t think he will.  And he just could end up extending with us on July 2. 

Benning already saddled is with too many 1 and 2 mil per overpays though.  Myers, Pesrson, Dickinson, Poolman, Ferland overpays add up to 6-8 million.

those will be gone in two seasons tho. Maybe Myers next year once his bonus is paid.

I’m all for playing the year and keeping that (rumoured) six year 45 million offer open for JTM to sign at any time.  If he finds a better deal July 1, 2023 good for him.  But I don’t think he will.  And he just could end up extending with us on July 2. 

I do think something reasonable is possible. Miller doesn't want to end up like Klingberg.

Keep your elite, move your meh. Hows that for a principle to follow? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

As long as they move their elite before they become meh- and usually meh happens in the early to mid 30's doesn't it?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

those will be gone in two seasons tho. Maybe Myers next year once his bonus is paid.

I do think something reasonable is possible. Miller doesn't want to end up like Klingberg.

In the recently posted drat day video Allvin said all guys who make it to the NHL will work hard and compete, so it’s elite skill that separates them.  That’s why he was big on the scout’s choosing Lekkerimaki.  

So I would guess Allvin would very much like Miller and want to keep him.