The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, Solinar said:

There is another team that we could trade with, and I bet you Nashville is going to get into the picture.  And they have some interesting pieces to look at and salivate over as well.

Yeah they and BOS are likely the two playoff teams with cap to re-sign Miller.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I actually agree with you about Rathbone tbh. I think we'd be wise to swap him for a top tier forward prospect, or what you suggested there about Lundkvist+rathbone for a first pair RD. 

We really need another defenseman who can play like Hamonic - physical, stay at home, defense first, blocking shots. 

I'd love to see us use one of those picks from the Rags to move Pearson, Dickinson, and Poolman. 

People also seem to think Myers has trade value b/c of his recent play, but if we could even shed his 6m and put a stay at home defenseman in the 3m range like Hamonic on that pair with OEL, we'd definitely come out ahead. 

Trading Miller to NYR and using a 1st to unload Pearson, Dickinson, and Poolman onto Arizona would give us like 17m in cap space (15m if u count the raise we have to give Boeser). 

We can do a lot with 15m. Sign Forsberg perhaps, and that still leaves 7m to get a stay at home defenseman and a couple of excellent penalty killers. 

Plus we'd still have an extra 1st in 2022. 

I'd be ok moving off Myers for a middling return + cap space if we could add Lyubushkin this summer and add another young D (Schneider, Lundkvist, Barron etc) via trade while moving Poolman and Dickinson (I don't care so much about Pearson one way or the other). Hamonic, Lyubushkin, one of Schneider/Barron/Lundqvist etc and Schenn, Juulsen, Woo, is decent RD depth while we transition the next couple years.

I'd prefer to keep the first to try and package it with ours to move up to nab Jiricek though. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

LA is another dark horse in this race.  The way I see it, there are a number of teams, NYR, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Nashville, LA and Florida that could see themselves in a place where they could actively compete with packages for Miller.  Of the lot, I'd say Toronto and Pittsburgh would be at the lower end of the teams I'd want to deal with, simply because of the salary coming back to make it worthwhile, but they're also the ones who are in a win now scenario that would probably be able to add the picks we need.

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, Solinar said:

There is another team that we could trade with, and I bet you Nashville is going to get into the picture.  And they have some interesting pieces to look at and salivate over as well.

Nashville would make a lot of sense, they've only been looking for top center's forever. They could move Duchene or Johansen to the wing. 

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah they and BOS are likely the two playoff teams with cap to re-sign Miller.

Boston too, they need someone behind Bergeron in the worst way as he probably doesn't have too many years left. Problem with Boston is they don't have a whole lot that actually seems interesting.

21 minutes ago, Solinar said:

LA is another dark horse in this race.  The way I see it, there are a number of teams, NYR, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Nashville, LA and Florida that could see themselves in a place where they could actively compete with packages for Miller.  Of the lot, I'd say Toronto and Pittsburgh would be at the lower end of the teams I'd want to deal with, simply because of the salary coming back to make it worthwhile, but they're also the ones who are in a win now scenario that would probably be able to add the picks we need.

LA's got the assets, but I question whether they'd go for it. They're still being lead offensively by Kopitar, who'll be 35 this year. But letting Brown go via UFA would more than pay for Miller's raise. 

I guess it'd depend on whether they see their rebuild as being done or not, I'm not sure they expected to do this well at the beginning of the season. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Solinar said:

Nashville is definitely my dark horse.  Ton of cap space and a CPL great prospects.  I don't know if they'd move tomasino or not and I know people are going to say poile has said they're looking to get younger etc etc.  But poile is at the tail end of his career, their vets are getting to the back 9 of their careers and, imo, they are in win now mode, no matter what Poile says.

They also have plenty of cap room to handle Miller next year and to possibly re-sign him as well.  I can see JT fitting in well there.

For me, it's tomasino, prokup and their first at least.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

OK, this is going to sound crazy but hear me out, simply hypothetical...

what if we agreed to trade JTM to Calgary for their cup run and next season.

i just puked up in my own mouth.

hypothetically, what does Calgary have (if anything?) that would enable a trade with us.

do they have prospect depth? probably not enough and it would take a significant current roster piece away in return?

I just think objectively and sometimes there are real surprises.

Trelving loves himself some Vancouver style flavour. With Toffoli look at who 3 of their core character guys are now?

It's crazy when you think about it and just where the Nux might be at this moment if we were able to retain the 3 of Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli.

Hindsight, but still, imagine that with Bruce~there~it~is.

That is Stanley Cup level, imho.

Anyway, is there any proposal that would be sufficient for JTM?

1st, Heineman, 4th, Tyler Pitlick, Rights to Josh Leivo

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i think we are living in fantasy world if we think Miller is worth equivalent of 4 1st rounder.. not even NHL 22 would be dumb enough to approve that trade.. we keep talking about other teams low ball offer but we keep making ridiculous offers ourselves.

You're probably right, but I would expect 3-4 pieces 

Schneider, Chytil, 1st still seems like the easy assumption, but I could see us working on a deal further to get Kravtsov, he wants out after all 

He's a good prospect, would def work towards our getting younger alongside Schneider

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

You're probably right, but I would expect 3-4 pieces 

Schneider, Chytil, 1st still seems like the easy assumption, but I could see us working on a deal further to get Kravtsov, he wants out after all 

He's a good prospect, would def work towards our getting younger alongside Schneider

unless we are adding 50% retention and schenn doubt u are getting scheider chytil 1st and kratsov regardless of what u think about kratsov

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nashville would make a lot of sense, they've only been looking for top center's forever. They could move Duchene or Johansen to the wing. 

Boston too, they need someone behind Bergeron in the worst way as he probably doesn't have too many years left. Problem with Boston is they don't have a whole lot that actually seems interesting.

LA's got the assets, but I question whether they'd go for it. They're still being lead offensively by Kopitar, who'll be 35 this year. But letting Brown go via UFA would more than pay for Miller's raise. 

I guess it'd depend on whether they see their rebuild as being done or not, I'm not sure they expected to do this well at the beginning of the season. 

Duchene is already playing wing.   Don't really see them in on Miller with Poile concerned that their team is getting too old and need to re-stock.    

31 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

unless we are adding 50% retention and schenn doubt u are getting scheider chytil 1st and kratsov regardless of what u think about kratsov

I'm open to moving Schenn or Motte, I'd rather not retain 50% but I'm not absolutely against retaining 

It's not as if we won't have dead cap next season anyway 

14 minutes ago, mll said:

Duchene is already playing wing.   Don't really see them in on Miller with Poile concerned that their team is getting too old and need to re-stock.    

Fair enough

Edited by Coconuts

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Show you're work then.

Some recent examples for you...

Barkov - $10mx8 (on a contender AND a low tax state)

Duchene - $8mx7 (inferior player)

Zibanejad - $8.5x8 (arguably closest comparable)

Seguin - $9.85x8

Couturier - $7.75x8 ( the lone, remotely recent, sub $8m, comparable contract)

Barkov is a tier up in terms of player.  He's also a Selke winner and was 26 when he signed his extension.

Seguin and was 26 when he signed the extension as well.

I think as much as we disagree, i think we can agree Duchene is irrelevant in this comparison.  Plus his contract is only 7 years.  Add another year and it likely drops under $8m AAV.

Miller is closest to Couturier and Zib.  So between $7.75 to $8.5 is reasonable. 

Like I showed earlier, $8x8 with the Canucks is $64m.  $9x7 is $63m with all other teams.

I'm curious which Stanley Cup contending teams you think will come along in 2 years with the cap space to sign him for $9m AAV?

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Barkov is a tier up in terms of player.  He's also a Selke winner and was 26 when he signed his extension.

I think as much as we disagree, i think we can agree Duchene is irrelevant in this comparison.  Plus his contract is only 7 years.  Add another year and it likely drops under $8m AAV.

Miller is closest to Couturier and Zib.  So between $7.75 to $8.5 is reasonable. 

Like I showed earlier, $8x8 with the Canucks is $64m.  $9x7 is $63m with all other teams.

I'm curious which Stanley Cup contending teams you think will come along in 2 years with the cap space to sign him for $9m AAV?

Boston or Nashville. Rangers if they move one of Kreider, Trouba etc.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

LA's also a possibility, if they allow Brown to simply walk in the offseason they could easily fit him 

Not a contender per say, but players love it in California 

They should honestly be a team on the rise, even with Kopitar edging towards retirement age, they've got a lot of great young talent

Quick also expires the same year as Miller

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

LA, Col, Det, Phi, Bos, NYR, Car, CLB, Nash, Ana, STL, SJ, are all American cities that could makes moves to offer him an enticing package.

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

miller is superior to couturier and zib easy.. zib plays with one of the best playmakers in the game.. his stats obviously benefits from it while Miller is playing with the likes of boeser and pearson.. you can probably argue if miller is in zib's spot he'd easily be over 100 points.. 

you guys keep saying miller is top 10 in scoring one of the best in the game blah blah blah.. yet you guys all think he will sign for the lowest of comparison or less than his comparable coz he loves vancouver so much.. you guys also forgot to factor in those contracts were signed in previous years.. the cap would have gone up by 2mil-3mil by the time miller signs a contract with any team. 9mil-9.5mil will be the new 8.5mil in 2-3 years they'll probably also factor in the tv deal and the expected bigger raise in 24-25. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

LA, Col, Det, Phi, Bos, NYR, Car, CLB, Nash, Ana, STL, SJ, are all American cities that could makes moves to offer him an enticing package.

I dunno if many of those are enticing places to play... I'd assume Miller would want to go to a contender

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not convinced Boston will be a contender in a couple years.  Bergeron and Marchand are not getting any younger.  Marchand will be 35.  Bergeron 38!

I don't think Nashville is a contender in a couple years either.  I recall somewhere saying Poile wants to get some youth injected into the lineup.

Just now, HKSR said:

I dunno if many of those are enticing places to play... I'd assume Miller would want to go to a contender

Who knows what Miller is thinking. A lot of futures on some of those teams. All of them situated in and about where we are or better depending on the vision.