The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

For the thousands of players who have played this game into their 30's, only a handful have continued to be dominant as they age.  If we made a list of players that dominated in their 30's to players who had a steady decline in play, my list would be multitudes longer than yours, not even comparable.

JT has had one dominant season in his career, the rest has been average to above average.  I was very happy when JB traded for him, one of the few who were completely fine with what they gave and JT has lived up to that deal and that expectation. 

But the mythology that people have built around him in the last 6 months is laughable and he will almost certainly come down to earth and then start his decline as he enters his 30's.  That's just biology

You can't apply then and now, it's different.

So don't look at "thousands"....keep it relevant and current by looking at what's happening in the here and now. Fitness, training, diet, recovery and rehab all have changed dramatically over the years. Guys used to drink a 6 pack and have a smoke after a steak dinner together.

JT's not out there partying every night....a family man with kids. 30 these days depends a lot on lifestyle. 

Teams that win have older players in the mix, it's not uncommon and actually is likely critical TO their success.

What is laughable is that you speak about 30 year olds like they're 80.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

For the thousands of players who have played this game into their 30's, only a handful have continued to be dominant as they age.  If we made a list of players that dominated in their 30's to players who had a steady decline in play, my list would be multitudes longer than yours, not even comparable.

JT has had one dominant season in his career, the rest has been average to above average.  I was very happy when JB traded for him, one of the few who were completely fine with what they gave and JT has lived up to that deal and that expectation. 

But the mythology that people have built around him in the last 6 months is laughable and he will almost certainly come down to earth and then start his decline as he enters his 30's.  That's just biology

I think you need to start with comparables.  Find the 29 to 30 year old players that have been able to be in the top 10 in NHL scoring... then see how many decline.

Picking thousands of players randomly in their 30s is not comparable at all.  A 30 year old Max Lapierre or Cal Clutterbuck doesn't equate to a 30 year old Blake Wheeler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, -DLC- said:

You can't apply then and now, it's different.

So don't look at "thousands"....keep it relevant and current by looking at what's happening in the here and now. Teams that win have older players in the mix, it's not uncommon and actually is likely critical TO their success.

What is laughable is that you speak about 30 year olds like they're 80.

In terms of the NHL, they're in the twilight of their careers.

I have zero issues with older players and they are absolutely critical to true contenders, I've never said anything different.  In fact when everyone was chomping at the bit to dump all the older players I was one of the few championing the importance of experienced players.

Not at $9m+ a year well into their late 30's, however.  Thats beyond ridiculous.......moot point anyway as I don't think he likes playing in Canada nor do I think he has any intention of -re-upping with the Canucks..........which is where the whole idea of moving him grew from........ something you seem to not think, or care about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think you need to start with comparables.  Find the 29 to 30 year old players that have been able to be in the top 10 in NHL scoring... then see how many decline.

Picking thousands of players randomly in their 30s is not comparable at all.  A 30 year old Max Lapierre or Cal Clutterbuck doesn't equate to a 30 year old Blake Wheeler.

JT Miller has been a good player with average to above average seasons until this one.  Hanging your hopes on a player with one great season and expecting that to be the norm, despite the evidence of previous seasons is a fool's errand, imo.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

A 30 year old Max Lapierre or Cal Clutterbuck doesn't equate to a 30 year old Blake Wheeler.

The same Blake Wheeler who signed a 5 year contract with a $8.25 M cap hit at 32 years old after coming off his career peak and has steadily declined since? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

JT Miller has been a good player with average to above average seasons until this one.  Hanging your hopes on a player with one great season and expecting that to be the norm, despite the evidence of previous seasons is a fool's errand, imo.

The reality is it is VERY rare that a player that is 29 or 30 is in the top 10 in scoring.  That makes them a different beast altogether.  You can't generalize when these guys are clearly unique. 

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

The same Blake Wheeler who signed a 5 year contract with a $8.25 M cap hit at 32 years old after coming off his career peak and has steadily declined since? 

And, not coincidentally, took his team from a real contender to a bubble playoff team along the way 

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

45 points in 48 games is an issue?

Just now, HKSR said:

The reality is it is VERY rare that a player that is 29 or 30 is in the top 10 in scoring.  That makes them a different beast altogether.  You can't generalize when these guys are clearly unique. 

This is Millers outlier year, nothing else in his career has made him "unique".  He's been average to above average until now

• Upvote 2

Just now, stawns said:

And how's the team doing?

great under Boudreau. Did you forget about the Green disaster to start the year? 

We'd likely be firmly in 3rd place in the pacific if we had Bruce all year, and no one would be talking about a Miller deal. Lets not trade our best F this year based on Green's inability to run this team. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

This is Millers outlier year, nothing else in his career has made him "unique".  He's been average to above average until now

The fact is he's doing something thousands of players could not do at his age.  You are just choosing to ignore that.

Just now, JM_ said:

great under Boudreau. Did you forget about the Green disaster to start the year? 

We'd likely be firmly in 3rd place in the pacific if we had Bruce all year, and no one would be talking about a Miller deal. Lets not trade our best F this year based on Green's inability to run this team. 

I meant the Jets, with Wheeler's huge contract, which will be smaller than miller's

• Cheers 1