The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

sounds like you've got one of your own, no need to borrow mine

B)

Why on earth would Miller agree to it though? Particularly to go to a bottom feeder. I'd be saying, "trade me if you want but I'll be checking free agency next year".

5 minutes ago, Baggins said:

SO what you're suggesting is going to Miller and saying, "we'd like you to sign a new contract so we can trade you"? :lol:

It would be under the understanding it's basically a new deal under the trade team. I'm not suggesting they do it underhanded.

Been done before, but usually at the TDL so the buying team can get that 8th contract year.

Teams also frequently let the trading team talk to the agent ahead of the trade and basically get a a deal worked out that's sent in, right after the trade.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Why on earth would Miller agree to it though? Particularly to go to a bottom feeder. I'd be saying, "trade me if you want but I'll be checking free agency next year".

maybe he does, maybe he doesn't but that's how that scenario would likely play out, which is what you were asking.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It would be under the understanding it's basically a new deal under the trade team. I'm not suggesting they do it underhanded.

Been done before, but usually at the TDL so the buying team can get that 8th contract year.

Teams also frequently let the trading team talk to the agent ahead of the trade and basically get a a deal worked out that's sent in, right after the trade.

But why would Miller do it? If he's being trading to a playoff team looking to become a contender I can see it. But to go from a team that's actually pretty decent, with young high end talent talent for a bad team. Again, why would Miller do it rather than just waiting it out and choosing his team next year? It might be what you want, but why would Miller agree to it? Makes no sense to me. Were I Miller, and Van didn't want to keep me, I'd be looking at free agency next and setting myself up for the best opportunity..

Just now, Baggins said:

But why would Miller do it? If he's being trading to a playoff team looking to become a contender I can see it. But to go from a team that's actually pretty decent, with young high end talent talent for a bad team. Again, why would Miller do it rather than just waiting it out and choosing his team next year? It might be what you want, but why would Miller agree to it? Makes no sense to me. Were I Miller, and Van didn't want to keep me, I'd be looking at free agency next and setting myself up for the best opportunity..

Philly has just as much good young talent as we do. Maybe more actually. They've clearly got some sort of chemistry or other issue and have massively underperformed the last couple years but if their management could push the right buttons this offseason, there's no reason they couldn't be back in the playoffs next year. 

Maybe they sell Miller on being part of that turnaround with a bigger pay cheque than we're offering? Who knows? We're all just spit balling here, it's not like we've got access to Philly management or Miller's thoughts bro... 

Canucks are looking fantastic right now, but 1 more loss and they probably won't make the playoffs. If they win their last 6 games,  that would be incredible and we would be in for a treat.

But if they don't make it in, AND win a lottery spot - Do they trade Miller?  Or do they build around the new star at the 2022 Draft, Pettersson, Boeser, Podkolzin, Hughes, etc.?

Basically, would winning a lottery spot completely change the direction of the team? Re-signing a 30-year old to a big, long term contract might not be the best thing they could do if this happens.

11 hours ago, Baggins said:

Kadri is an upcoming ufa.  No asset loss needed.

true but I can't see him performing as well as Miller going forward. But I also don't care about Philly and if they want to back up the brinks truck for the weasel then thats good for us to have him out of our division. 

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks are looking fantastic right now, but 1 more loss and they probably won't make the playoffs. If they win their last 6 games,  that would be incredible and we would be in for a treat.

But if they don't make it in, AND win a lottery spot - Do they trade Miller?  Or do they build around the new star at the 2022 Draft, Pettersson, Boeser, Podkolzin, Hughes, etc.?

Basically, would winning a lottery spot completely change the direction of the team? Re-signing a 30-year old to a big, long term contract might not be the best thing they could do if this happens.

Whether we squeak in to the playoffs or not, the right thing to do, is the right thing to do.

Sound management doesn't twist in the wind at the whim of short term results like CDC.

Signing a 30 year old to a big, long term contract isn't a great idea no matter where we land.

Edited by aGENT

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If Canucks win the lottery, they can only move up 10 spots.  So it would be the 6th pick (so far…using Tankathon for placement).

14 hours ago, stawns said:

I think Miller is more of an impact player than JH.

JH is an impact player too, just a different skill set.(He's only 3 ponts back of McDavid for the Art Ross)! Also, his defensive game has improved greatly this season. I for one am very intersted to see how he performs in the playoffs this year as this has been a knock against him thus far into his career. Although he has 19 points in 30 games for his playoff career. Not too shabby.

PHI also would only need to make cap room for JH's next contract whereas acquiring Miller would be more costly in terms of giving up assests, then only to have to sign him to a lucrative deal as well. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

not this draft, we wouldn't be getting someone that can step into the lineup for a couple of years most likely. 

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seeing Miller sitting next to Pods in the room and guiding Pods on the ice (likely off ice too) tells me we must keep him.  Incoming 8.5 x 8.  

you don't have to convince me. Loving the mentorship and chemistry going on there. 

I wonder if we could possibly see Pods-Miller-Lockwood at some point. 

• Cheers 1