The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Chytil + Lundquist + Kravtsov for Miller.

Checks all the boxes.  

C'mon Alf. Checks all the boxes?

Chytil - another big soft 3LW

Lundkvist - a small offensive minded Dman, who can't even score at AHL level

Kravtsov - disappointing former top 10 pick, now playing in the KHL, who has requested a trade away from NYR

We need some actual NHL players in return if we trade Miller, not just some young guys that *might* have upside.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Kravtsov - disappointing former top 10 pick, now playing in the KHL, who has requested a trade away from NYR

We need some actual NHL players in return if we trade Miller, not just some young guys that *might* have upside.

If and when we trade Miller I don’t see much better than that return.  He’s now a one year (one playoff) rental.  We would have got more before the previous TDL, obviously, but that’s gone now.  

17 hours ago, J-23 said:

Yup, I see Bruins being a better trade partner than the Rags. Of course I want Schneider, but it seems like that deal is not going to happen.

The only problem with Lysell might be size. But with his skating, speed and playmaking, I don’t see why he wouldn’t thrive in the modern NHL. Him and Hughes would literally put on a skating show in games. One can only dream though.

Yeah, I think the NYR bit has sailed unless they get bounced in a really tough fashion. I don't see them keeping Strome, I think he'll ask for too much, so who knows. But yeah, I def see Boston as a more likely landing spot. They've got pieces in Pasta, McAvoy, Carlo, Swayman, and so on that they're not going to want to look at rebuild mode just because Bergeron might not be there much longer. Marchand is still productive, Hall is still a top six player. Debrusk is suddenly not looking awful. 

If he's got top end talent and a willingness to put in work I could see him having success, and it's not as if we wouldn't have other young talent for him to step in with here. He's young enough that he could grow a bit, at the very least he'll fill out as he matures. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I think the NYR bit has sailed unless they get bounced in a really tough fashion. I don't see them keeping Strome, I think he'll ask for too much, so who knows. But yeah, I def see Boston as a more likely landing spot. They've got pieces in Pasta, McAvoy, Carlo, Swayman, and so on that they're not going to want to look at rebuild mode just because Bergeron might not be there much longer. Marchand is still productive, Hall is still a top six player. Debrusk is suddenly not looking awful. 

If he's got top end talent and a willingness to put in work I could see him having success, and it's not as if we wouldn't have other young talent for him to step in with here. He's young enough that he could grow a bit, at the very least he'll fill out as he matures. 

Much rather have Chytil over Lysell.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Much rather have Chytil over Lysell.  

I'd rather trade with the Rangers too as they've got more that I like, but that doesn't change the fact that Boston's a team that probably needs Miller more. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

If we are trading Miller to the Rangers the return coming back needs to be Schneider, Lafreniere and a 1st round pick. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we are trading Miller to the Rangers the return coming back needs to be Schneider, Lafreniere and a 1st round pick. 

Then Miller ain’t going to the Rangers.  If the Rags weren’t paying that price for two playoffs of renting Miller, then they aren’t paying that for one.  

I think we could get their first (20th about?)

Schneider, is impossible.

Laffer?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Then Miller ain’t going to the Rangers.  If the Rags weren’t paying that price for two playoffs of renting Miller, then they aren’t paying that for one.  

Laffer?  

Miller stays with us then and we win the Cup in 2024…. :)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We have Demko on a great contract for four more years.  Hughes for five.  And Petey for two.  Might be our best plan to go all in right friggin’ now.

Trade 2022 first.

Trade Bone.

Go for it!  :towel:

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Laffer?  

I agree with you on that Alf. I think the Rags assessed the cost of two playoffs with Miller and went with the cheaper (and younger) option of Copp. When they flounder in the upcoming playoffs they may look at Miller again in the off season, but I can't see them parting with enough good assets to make it worth our while. Schneider is the only piece I am interested in from NYR, if the haul doesn't include Schneider, then no deal. That's just my opinion. Watering down Miller by trading him into a lot of lesser pieces would not be my preference. I would be looking for a proven legit player in return.

We need a big young NHL ready RHD in return.

I have said this before many times, but I could see us targeting a deal with BOS, e.g. Miller for Carlo, which would make sense for both sides. VAN would likely have to add Schenn so that BOS has a 2RHD to play next season and BOS adds other asset(s) to even up the deal, perhaps picks, prospects or a young roster player. I could absolutely see BOS strategy could be signing Bergy to a 1 year deal next season and then resigning Miller the year after that as their long term 1C.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I agree with you on that Alf. I think the Rags assessed the cost of two playoffs with Miller and went with the cheaper (and younger) option of Copp. When they flounder in the upcoming playoffs they may look at Miller again in the off season, but I can't see them parting with enough good assets to make it worth our while. Schneider is the only piece I am interested in from NYR, if the haul doesn't include Schneider, then no deal. That's just my opinion. Watering down Miller by trading him into a lot of lesser pieces would not be my preference. I would be looking for a proven legit player in return.

We need a big young NHL ready RHD in return.

I have said this before many times, but I could see us targeting a deal with BOS, e.g. Miller for Carlo, which would make sense for both sides. VAN would likely have to add Schenn so that BOS has a 2RHD to play next season and BOS adds other asset(s) to even up the deal, perhaps picks, prospects or a young roster player. I could absolutely see BOS strategy could be signing Bergy to a 1 year deal next season and then resigning Miller the year after that as their long term 1C.

Hopefully we have at least two serious suitors for Miller.  Then we will get the best deal.  I could see:

Rags

Philly

Boston

Avs 

if the Avs go out early in the playoffs (again) I could see a very good return coming for Miller.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Offer miller 8.5x5yrs

if not

try Philly

To VAN

Konecny

unprotected 2022 1st (4th OA)

Konecny is Bo's cousin, Bo takes home town discount, 

can flip 4th OA for top young RSH D man

I'd rather just draft one of Nemec/Jiricek with the pick.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Offer miller 8.5x5yrs

if not

try Philly

To VAN

Konecny

unprotected 2022 1st (4th OA)

Konecny is Bo's cousin, Bo takes home town discount, 

can flip 4th OA for top young RSH D man

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hopefully we have at least two serious suitors for Miller.  Then we will get the best deal.  I could see:

Rags

Philly

Boston

Avs 

if the Avs go out early in the playoffs (again) I could see a very good return coming for Miller.  

Can't really see Philly spending a whole lot on Miller when they have Couturier and Hayes as their top 2 centers on long term deals

Edited by BigTramFan

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Ya, adding Miller to that would make them a nasty mix.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We have Demko on a great contract for four more years.  Hughes for five.  And Petey for two.  Might be our best plan to go all in right friggin’ now.

Trade 2022 first.

Trade Bone.

Go for it!  :towel:

Go for what? Throwing away another decade. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd do it, they likely wouldn't. I don't see them moving Laffy, maybe Kakko. 

Something like Miller and Schenn for Schneider, Kakko, and a 1st leading up to the draft. It's not as if their 1st is going to be high, but being able to pick twice in the 1st round would go a long way towards restocking our cupboards. I'd take next year's 1st if that was their preference. 

I'd even retain cap to grease the wheel. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd do it, they likely wouldn't. I don't see them moving Laffy, maybe Kakko. 

Something like Miller and Schenn for Schneider, Kakko, and a 1st leading up to the draft. It's not as if their 1st is going to be high, but being able to pick twice in the 1st round would go a long way towards restocking our cupboards. I'd take next year's 1st if that was their preference. 

I'd even retain cap to grease the wheel. 

Doubt we'd get both. Probably one of the two and Chytil,a first and maybe a secondary guy like Othmann, Robertson, Barron, etc.

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Doubt we'd get both. Probably one of the two and Chytil,a first and maybe a secondary guy like Othmann, Robertson, Barron, etc.

Realistically you're probably right. But Kakko's stock doesn't seem to be what it was and he's a pending RFA. I see them being more reluctant to part with Schneider. 

That being said.. Kakko, Lundqvist, and a 1st would be interesting. Maybe if we add Schenn we could get a bit more. 

That'd leave us with three smaller guys in Lundqvist, Hughes, and Rathbone.. but given I see next season as a stepping stone anyway I'm not sure that'd be the end of the world. 

Find a partner for Hughes, put Lundqvist with OEL, see if Rathbone can crack the bigs alongside Dermott or Poolman. 

I'd be fine with the classic Schneider, Chytil, and a 1st but there are other options. 

I just don't see us getting the grand slam package some folks think we should get, maybe we'd get that if the current Miller were 2-3 years younger. Regardless of how many points he's put up this season. 

I don't see them moving Laffy, he looks to be progressing and I know if it were us I wouldn't be moving out a recently drafted 1OA so soon. 

We're not going to overhaul our roster in a single offseason, but we can free up cap and try to bring in young talent via trade. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wonder, For giggles,  what point placement would this team be at if we had the same winning percentage before the Christmas changes ,  that we have enjoyed after it?

I noticed 11 OT losses too, that’s a tough one.