The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

13 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

Miller + Myers for Marino + Kapanen + Blueger?

Podkolzin Pete Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hoglander Blueger Kapanen 

Dickenson Lamikko Highmore

Chiasson (re-sign him), Lockwood

Hughes Marino

OEL Schenn

Dermott Poolman

Rathbone, Burroughs (or sign Stecher back)

I'm not crazy about our top 6 wingers. I think ultimately one or two of Pearson, Garland, or Hoglander, needs to be upgraded into a legit top 6 ... but good start. I could live with that for a year and then look to upgrade the forwards next year. Like @aGENT suggested it would be nice to replace Poolman with a cheapish stay at home defender as well. I like it though.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

Regardless what the outcome is, I'm just glad the NHL doesn't have the horrible contracts NBA and NFL guys have. Can't stand the entitlement with those guys. You still have term on your deal yet refuse to play / threaten the organization unless you get a new deal for more money.

I will throw in the towel of being a hardcore hockey fan if our cba ever gets to that point lol

16 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Regardless what the outcome is, I'm just glad the NHL doesn't have the horrible contracts NBA and NFL guys have. Can't stand the entitlement with those guys. You still have term on your deal yet refuse to play / threaten the organization unless you get a new deal for more money.

I will throw in the towel of being a hardcore hockey fan if our cba ever gets to that point lol

Yeah that's soccer too. I can't stand those entitled babies. I refuse to watch club soccer anymore. These clowns like Ronaldo get jealous when someone signs a new contract that's bigger than theirs, or they don't win everything, or they're just bored because the spotlight isn't on them. Then they just tear up their contracts, and sign with a new team for an extra 30-50 million. Most players probably don't play more than 2 years with any team. Watching club soccer is more like watching the Dow Jones report (rich guy's bank account) than a soccer game. 

NFL I don't care because I'm mostly in it for the Fantasy Football and the betting. :lol:

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AK_19 said:

Podkolzin Pete Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hughes Marino

OEL Schenn

Dermott Poolman

Oof. Two 3rd liners and a #4 d man for our best forward

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well maybe people can use this to understand trading depleting assets for prospects. Some people wants polished 30 goal prospects but that's unrealistic. These are the next generation of players who are going to be the 'next' Millers. There is always some element of unknown and that's why you're able to trade for them.

Oh well. The Chytil has left the building. Hopefully people aren't sleeping next time around.

It's a bit of a stretch to call Chytil the next Miller (or imply it)....he's been a solid 3rd liner to now, and is on a heater in the playoffs. Sure it doesn't look good 'right now' but let's see what Chytil does over the next 3-4 years before he's anointed as good as JT man.

Edited by NucknAsia

10 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

It's a bit of a stretch to call Chytil the next Miller (or imply it)....he's been a solid 3rd liner to now, and is on a heater in the playoffs. Sure it doesn't look good 'right now' but let's see what Chytil does over the next 3-4 years before he's anointed as good as JT man.

I mean this is the generation of players who will be better then Miller in 3-4 years, and where the next Miller's will come from. That's the chance you have to take, no one is just going to just trade you Aho, or Kaprizov already develped like some posters wanted when the scoffed at Chytil as a piece of the trade. This is where you have to rely on scouting, chances of success, and some luck. But no Chytil is not Miller but a player I'm on record for as acceptable in a trade for Miller.

Edited by Gawdzukes

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I mean this is the generation of players who will be better then Miller in 3-4 years, and where the next Miller's will come from. That's the chance you have to take, no one is just going to just trade you Aho, or Kaprizov already develped like some posters wanted when the scoffed at Chytil as a piece of the trade. This where you have to rely on scouting, chances of success, and some luck. But no Chytil is not Miller but a player I'm on record for as acceptable in a trade for Miller.

I don't think anyone was suggesting Aho or Kaprizov back but a player who has elite potential. Chytl does not have Elite potential, that's why he was drafted 21st overall. He's got NHL 3rd line potential with some upside.

If you're trading a 99 Pt Center Iceman, who's a monster leader, tough as nails, a competitor, and arguably the best power forward in the game, expecting some elite potential back is not unrealistic and should be expected imho

Edited by NucknAsia

20 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

I don't think anyone was suggesting Aho or Kaprizov back but a player who has elite potential. Chytl does not have Elite potential, that's why he was drafted 21st overall. He's got NHL 3rd line potential with some upside.

If you're trading a 99 Pt Center Iceman, who's a monster leader, tough as nails, a competitor, and arguably the best power forward in the game, expecting some elite potential back is not unrealistic and should be expected imho

Aren't you a brand new poster? The Chytil suggestion has been getting flack on here for over 2 months now because people wanted more plug and play players who were more worth the value of Miller. Like you said Chytil is a 21st overall. What are you expecting ... Heiskanen, Suzuki, Norris, Necas, who went in the same draft? I hear what you're saying but Chytil was a third piece in the suggested package. If you're suggesting trading for only one player with more potential sure I would like that too but that's an entirely different conversation.

Something like Cody Glass perhaps is more up your alley?

Edited by Gawdzukes

12 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Chytl does not have Elite potential, that's why he was drafted 21st overall. He's got NHL 3rd line potential with some upside.

If that's the case, then the Canucks need more 3rd Line players with potential and some upside.

What I see in Chytil is a big, young forward who's built for playoffs, and smart, knowing where to be. I'd take that player every time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Jones gets traded for 2 firsts and a better dman with 1 year left.

Giroux gets traded with like 20 games left in the season for a 1st, 3rd and decent young guy.

I'm preeeeettty sure Miller is atleast worth a young roster player to replace him, a 1st + good prospect OR another higher pick. 

We see every year all sorts of contracts traded, regardless of dollar amount of age. I would consider landeskogs deal if we want to resign him however.  Depends if we can turn half the junk on our roster into anything usefull first

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If that's the case, then the Canucks need more 3rd Line players with potential and some upside.

What I see in Chytil is a big, young forward who's built for playoffs, and smart, knowing where to be. I'd take that player every time.

Yeah I don't think a lot of people are going to look at the trade and be thrilled at first. It will take a player just like Chytil, and a draft pick working out to make the trade successful. I'd imagine there will be a sh!t tonne of handwringing and posters in utter despair when the trade goes down. Haha, it'll be good for the laughs.

Some people just don't see how valuable a piece like that can be. Especially considering how ugly and unimpactful our bottom 6 has been for years now. How nice would it be to have a player that can contribute now, that we're actually happy to pencil in the roster, and can possibly move up in the future ... while being young, fast, cost controlled, and big, and simply be a lesser part of the Miller return.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I don't think a lot of people are going to look at the trade and be thrilled at first. It will take a player just like Chytil, and a draft pick working out to make the trade successful. I'd imagine there will be a sh!t tonne of handwringing and posters in utter despair when the trade goes down. Haha, it'll be good for the laughs.

Some people just don't see how valuable a piece like that can be. Especially considering how ugly and unimpactful our bottom 6 has been for years now. How nice would it be to have a player that can contribute now, that we're actually happy to pencil in the roster, and can possibly move up in the future ... while being young, fast, cost controlled, and big, and simply be a lesser part of the Miller return.

Chytil is the typical quality nhler, but looks alot better on top team like the rangers then he would on the canucks. I'd bet he couldn't even surpass pears in terms of what he brings to our lineup. Pears is the scapegoat for many here. Imagine we trade Miller for another pears lol

• Upvote 2

I think New Jersey wants to take the next step from bottom to fighting for a wildcard and they need a player like Miller/Garland/Myers to infuse some experience and vets into their lineup.

Miller

Garland

Myers

Pick?

for 

Holtz

Wood

#2 (Slavofsky, Nemec or Jiricek)

AHL Prospect

Edited by BureBurrito

57 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

I think New Jersey wants to take the next step from bottom to fighting for a wildcard and they need a player like Miller/Garland/Myers to infuse some experience and vets into their lineup.

Miller

Garland

Myers

Pick?

for 

Holtz

Wood

AHL Prospect

You just ripped out our 2 top 6 forwards and 1 of our top 4 defenceman. Is your plan for the Canucks to become garbage next season? You think Petey will re-sign after seeing this? Ha, good luck with that. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BureBurrito said:

Miller

Garland

Myers

Pick?

for 

Holtz

Wood

AHL Prospect

This is great for us, as fans.  But JR said no step back.  So I, even though I like this return, it's clearly a step back right now until those players develop.  Yes, we will almost certainly be better in the longer term with a trade like this, but JR won't do it because it's taking us back before we go forward.  

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is great for us, as fans.  But JR said no step back.  So I, even though I like this return, it's clearly a step back right now until those players develop.  Yes, we will almost certainly be better in the longer term with a trade like this, but JR won't do it because it's taking us back before we go forward.  

You do realize that would give us around $14 million in cap as well, right? You would get those assets and a Forsberg + a top 4 RHD in free agency/Trade with a team pushing the cap. 

17 hours ago, mll said:

No picks came back in either of those trades.  Schaller was a cap dump in the Toffoli trade and Beagle in the OEL/Garland trade where Vancouver gave up 9th overall.  

Then they must have gotten a pick for Rouselle. My point is the was interest in those players and we were able to clear cap space by trading them or letting them go.  Benning handled Toffoli terribly not getting picks for him.  

3 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Chytil is the typical quality nhler, but looks alot better on top team like the rangers then he would on the canucks. I'd bet he couldn't even surpass pears in terms of what he brings to our lineup. Pears is the scapegoat for many here. Imagine we trade Miller for another pears lol

If it's the Pearson that won the Cup I'm in.

6 hours ago, AK_19 said:

Podkolzin Pete Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hughes Marino

OEL Schenn

Dermott Poolman

That team is worse than last year for sure

18 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Then they must have gotten a pick for Rouselle. My point is the was interest in those players and we were able to clear cap space by trading them or letting them go.  Benning handled Toffoli terribly not getting picks for him.  

Not getting picks for him? We traded for tofu at the deadline.. while he was heading to ufa that summer. Maybe a 7th for his rights but even then I doubt it

• Thanks 1