The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I've been saying something similar for a while now, its either give this core what it needs to compete (bigger, better d in particular) or blow the mo-fo up.

I hear a lot about timing, that Miller must be moved for us to time things correctly for this group. But thats not going to happen if the return is picks and prospects for Miller. No pics for Miller will help within 3-4 years. 

If we're going to shed Miler, then lets just do it right, trade everyone over 25 not named Demko that we can tank hard for next season. We should be able to get a group of ELCs/RFAs/high picks that allows for a quick turnaround.

We are not trading away all players over 25.  But we will definitely be trading away some of them.  

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We are not trading away all players over 25.  But we will definitely be trading away some of them.  

but maybe we should? If we don't believe that a core of Miller, Bo, Petey, Demko and Hughes are enough? 

I'm not really in favor of tanking this year. I have been in the past, esp those empty points in the last dozen games. Giving up draft positions. But we are IMO a good playoff team. With a couple missing pieces. And players coming back healthy. Esp D. And with better special teams (thanks coach).

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

but maybe we should? If we don't believe that a core of Miller, Bo, Petey, Demko and Hughes are enough? 

We aren’t trading both Miller and Bo.  We aren’t trading both Boeser and Garland.  We aren’t trading both Myers and OEL.

We aren’t trading away or playing with only guys 25 and under.  We will have lots of guys over 25.  But we definitely need to add younger core pieces to our key three.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sometimes it’s best to punt.  IMHAO we need to punt.

But I don’t think JR (our owner will allow) will punt.  He will trade Miller and Garland but there will be players, who can fin it right away, coming back.  

Well, whatever is best, of course.

In my humble ass opinion, JR & Co know more about it than any of us.

Cheers!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Well, whatever is best, of course.

In my humble ass opinion, JR & Co know more about it than any of us.

Cheers!

JR has forgotten more about building Cup winners than any of us will ever know.  

At this point would anyone be for trading Miller straight up for Byram?  Maybe Miller (50% retained) and Rathbone for Byram and Newhook?  Byram is an absolute stud........he's going to be better than Hughes, imo.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

At this point would anyone be for trading Miller straight up for Byram?  Maybe Miller (50% retained) and Rathbone for Byram and Newhook?  Byram is an absolute stud........he's going to be better than Hughes, imo.

Avs wouldn’t even listen.  

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Everyone but Joe Sakik

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We aren’t trading both Miller and Bo.  We aren’t trading both Boeser and Garland.  We aren’t trading both Myers and OEL.

We aren’t trading away or playing with only guys 25 and under.  We will have lots of guys over 25.  But we definitely need to add younger core pieces to our key three.  

problem with that way tho Alf is it doesn't get us elite talent, or at least really lessens the chance of it. We have to tank for 1-2 year to get more of that. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

problem with that way tho Alf is it doesn't get us elite talent, or at least really lessens the chance of it. We have to tank for 1-2 year to get more of that. 

I don’t think we need to tank.  We can move Miller and Garland for high picks and (or) elite prospects.  We can clear cap space to sign guys like Devon Toews.  Not him, of course, but guys like him.  We need cap room and draft capital though.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think we need to tank.  We can move Miller and Garland for high picks and (or) elite prospects.  We can clear cap space to sign guys like Devon Toews.  Not him, of course, but guys like him.  We need cap room and draft capital though.  

but haven't we been down this road? there weren't elite prospects on offer for Miller. 

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

Please will this into existence. Byram is my 2nd favorite player that's not a Canucks. I'd kill to see him come home.

And trade talks with New York start with Kappo Kakko but the reality is he’s had 3 seasons in the NHL already and he’s been a disappointment.  Maybe this isn’t fair but Podkolzin rookie season was way better than any of Kakko’s 3 seasons even this years stats were meh for a player picked 2nd overall.  And again it shows how risky picks are, why people think Miller isn’t worth a 2nd overall pick, Kakko, Nolan Patrick, this is why Miller IS worth a 2nd overall.  Because he’s Guaranteed.  You know exactly what you’re getting.  But the draft is a crap shoot even in the high 1st round.   When I see people say what more would the Canucks need to get New Jersey’s pick I shake my head.  If that’s all we’re getting in return then we’ve got to sign Miller.  Can’t let a sure thing go for a gamble. 

2097D618-F8C0-4DB9-B785-F187A6ACE15B.jpeg

05E3247A-AD1B-4A6C-9236-2823939D48DD.jpeg

Edited by Pure961089

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Please will this into existence. Byram is my 2nd favorite player that's not a Canucks. I'd kill to see him come home.

honestly, I'd probably do Miller for Byram straight up with money retained.  

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

we don't know that.

I think we can be pretty confident that we would have either heard of a deal that fell through, or JR would have pulled the trigger if someone truly elite was on offer. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JM_ said:

but haven't we been down this road? there weren't elite prospects on offer for Miller. 

Even if there weren't, which we don't know, that doesn't mean there won't be. 

Hell, if the Avs win the cup and Kadri walks I wouldn't be shocked if they take a hard look at Miller as a rental in order to try and go for it again. Lot of things change between the trade deadline, the draft, and free agency. 

• Cheers 2