The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yuppp, been saying that for months now. You can have players like Miller on your team, but they don't have to be Miller. There are hundreds of players in the league and several players trying to crack said league, you can find heart, grit, and talent elsewhere. 

For real though, Miller may have had a career year but when you put the two side by Crosby's talent and accomplishments tower above. 

But yeah, top 10 player all-time is just your average comparison right?

Hansen said it well. “He's not your franchise player and he's going to demand and deserves  based on the numbers franchise money. That's the problem. They have to set an internal salary structure with Petey and Hughes at the top"

Have to stick with our vision and that starts with Petey and Hughes. I can understand why fans want to go all in with Miller. Been patient during the JB run and we still around that wildcard spot.

Fans have to be patient with Petey and Hughes. It wasn’t until Mack’s fifth year until he hit that 90-100 point mark. Also statistically speaking Petey’s current four years have been better than Mack’s first four years. Not trying to compare the players, just pointing out that it takes time for a player to break out.

Regardless, Petey has still put up 65+ points in 3 of his first 4 years. Would have been 4 if it wasn’t for injury. Don’t see why Petey wouldn’t easily put up 90-100 points consistently. Especially with legit, consistent linemmates with a little speed (No offence to Boeser). If it’s true that Petey’s injury was bothering him in the first half of the season, I don’t see why that can’t happen as early as next season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hansen is one of my favourites when it comes to folks offering takes on thr Canucks, being the honey badger he is he pulls no punches with this organization and I love it. I'm too lazy to dig up the quote but he would have moved Miller at the deadline. 

He's been in that room, he'd played for this city. He had a helluva career and he's only recently retired so he knows the modern game firsthand. Hansen knows his $&!# a helluva lot better than any of us.

Pettersson and Hughes are our franchise players, we should focus on building around em. We've got great pieces in Demko and Podz too.

Yup.  Hansen is great.  He makes his opinion and then supports it.  Plus he lives here and clearly is a Canuck.  I heard him say the same about trading Miller at this last TDL too.  

Now we might be stuck in a spot where we see a lesser return for Miller than was offered before. 

• Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hansen is one of my favourites when it comes to folks offering takes on thr Canucks, being the honey badger he is he pulls no punches with this organization and I love it. I'm too lazy to dig up the quote but he would have moved Miller at the deadline. 

He's been in that room, he'd played for this city. He had a helluva career and he's only recently retired so he knows the modern game firsthand. Hansen knows his $&!# a helluva lot better than any of us.

Pettersson and Hughes are our franchise players, we should focus on building around em. We've got great pieces in Demko and Podz too.

9th round pick with 250+ points is a good NHL story in general.

Everyone was Team Petey, but after he said he wants to play on a whining team in Sweden or some $&!#, there has been a lot of lowkey shade thrown at him by fans. Still a lot of sour fans from that imo :ph34r:

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Oh really? Not a project? Lundkvist is behind Zac Jones on the Rangers depth chart and can't even crack the bottom pair. If you watch him play at all he's terrible. If he's not a project what is he? 

Chytil likely doesn't even become a top 6 forward and before the little hot streak in the playoffs had shown absolutely nothing. 

Also, why don't you check how many low first rounders make the NHL. You need to stop overrating prospects. 

You're basically getting a third line C an AHL dman and likely another bust.

You said projects not prospects, big difference.

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Everyone was Team Petey, but after he said he wants to play on a whining team in Sweden or some $&!#, there has been a lot of lowkey shade thrown at him by fans. Still a lot of sour fans from that imo :ph34r:

The off season after the Bubble playoffs success damaged players’ trust in management.  Hansen said it.  “The players know” what going on.  And Miller came out and said it publicly about the “shocking reset”.  Then the club does badly and still our owner keeps Benning.  The club was broken.  Benning did way more damage than we saw.  

• Huggy Bear 2

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Hansen is great.  He makes his opinion and then supports it.  Plus he lives here and clearly is a Canuck.  I heard him say the same about trading Miller at this last TDL too.  

Now we might be stuck in a spot where we see a lesser return for Miller than was offered before. 

I'm torn as to whether I'd want him working for us or not, I like his takes from the outside. 

Maybe, I think we can still get a good return though.

6 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I still don't get why that's a talking point, every player who's even had a cup of coffee at the NHL level wants to play on a winning team.

But yeah, Hansen was a remarkable player considering where he was drafted. He earned everything he got.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 6/26/2022 at 1:50 AM, SilentSam said:

What we see in Miller now, is not the total of his capabilities.

Miller himself is only just reaching out to his ceiling, he IS still learning,  this is where playing for, and working with a Coach like Boudreau helps Miller understand himself, and his own strengths and weaknesses.

Ovie, did not become Ovie, all by himself..

Ovie too blundered in his own successes.

But Boudreau helped Ovie unlock his true potential,  who knows,  maybe Ovie learned to keep some of his longetivity in that too.

This talk about bone head plays, poor decisions, pouty rants..   have you been watching the playoffs?

it happens to the best

You know, you might be right. BB had only had half a season with Miller and to think that Miller can't grow anymore as a player is shortsighted of me. 

If he can round out his game and still produce while not taking as many risks, I would be super happy to have him for the next 6 years. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Wow.

I can't even...hyperbole say hello to idiocy.

Well yes that was a hyperbole. 

If you watched the games last year, I bet he was the one most responsible for turnovers on the PP trying to thread the needle through the seam to Petey. 

Ppl say yes but he also put up a lot of points and that is true but what I'm getting at is that to take it to the next level, he needs to eliminate those types of plays. 

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

You know, you might be right. BB had only had half a season with Miller and to think that Miller can't grow anymore as a player is shortsighted of me. 

If he can round out his game and still produce while not taking as many risks, I would be super happy to have him for the next 6 years. 

I think we’d all be happy with Miller signing a six year extension.  The cap hit will be crazy high though.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we’d all be happy with Miller signing a six year extension.  The cap hit will be crazy high though.  

I'd rather see it at 7 years and bring the AAV under 8 mil. 

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Well yes that was a hyperbole. 

If you watched the games last year, I bet he was the one most responsible for turnovers on the PP trying to thread the needle through the seam to Petey. 

Ppl say yes but he also put up a lot of points and that is true but what I'm getting at is that to take it to the next level, he needs to eliminate those types of plays. 

Every player turns pucks over, especially the elite guys.  It’s part of trying to make plays.  It’s whether their turnovers are outweighed by their putting up points (Lang with other contributions to winning).  Miller at 90 + points contributes way more to winning than his turnovers hurt us.  It’s whether Miller at 60-70 points (and at 8+ per) will still be helping us win or not.  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Not all of us.

Length, without compensation numbers, are meaning less.

The cap hit at six years will be crazy high.  I would guess that Miller has presented a total contract number around 65 mil.

JR has said 6 years term.  10 + per is crazy.  Miller wants to get paid what others are getting, like Zib.  JR wants a term no longer than six years.  

23 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Wow.

I can't even...hyperbole say hello to idiocy.

Edit... Sorry I didn't realize my last comment was posted so I wrote the whole thing out again... 

Yes it was a hyperbole but then again I'm not far off. 

I bet you Miller was probably the player who turned it over on the PP the most last year trying to thread the needle on a cross ice pass through the seam to Petey. The frustrating part was, he kept doing it over and over again.  Same thing with poor decisions on defensive zone exits. Thinking offense first, he's turned it over numerous times at our own blue line trying to generate offense on the transition rather than getting the puck out. That leads to longer shifts for the boys while hemmed in our zone. 

Out of curiosity, I took a peek at some stats. This is the part I'm talking about.  He shares the team lead in takeaways with Petey but he also turned it over 24 more times than Petey which is pretty crazy. Miller led the team in takeaways but has more giveaways than takeaways. That's what I mean by poster child for bad decisions. It worked out for him this year in that he put up a lot of points but the way he plays the game also has a lot of risk. Some of you guys will be the same guys that will want him traded if he goes into a slump and his turnovers leads to goals against. 

Screenshot_20220627-084022_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4633bdca0ac4ad7cafefd30d9596ae33.jpg

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

7 x 7.75 would be great.  And could Miller do any better than that as a UFA July 2023?  I think not.  

Too long- and a bit too much, for a guy that old, who has had one great offensive season, while the rest of the career has been 'only' very good.

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Edit... Sorry I didn't realize my last comment was posted so I wrote the whole thing out again... 

Yes it was a hyperbole but then again I'm not far off. 

I bet you Miller was probably the player who turned it over on the PP the most last year trying to thread the needle on a cross ice pass through the seam to Petey. The frustrating part was, he kept doing it over and over again.  Same thing with poor decisions on defensive zone exits. Thinking offense first, he's turned it over numerous times at our own blue line trying to generate offense on the transition rather than getting the puck out. That leads to longer shifts for the boys while hemmed in our zone. 

Out of curiosity, I took a peek at some stats. This is the part I'm talking about.  He shares the team lead in takeaways with Petey but he also turned it over 24 more times than Petey which is pretty crazy. Miller led the team in takeaways but has more giveaways than takeaways. That's what I mean by poster child for bad decisions. It worked out for him this year in that he put up a lot of points but the way he plays the game also has a lot of risk. Some of you guys will be the same guys that will want him traded if he goes into a slump and his turnovers leads to goals against. 

Screenshot_20220627-084022_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4633bdca0ac4ad7cafefd30d9596ae33.jpg

These validity of these stats is only as valid as the data collection, which is not reliable.  Yes, Miller (as all elite point produces) makes higher risk plays.