The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just now, JM_ said:

in 3-4 years we may just have that kind of D depth. I just don't see how we rush that unless we're willing to blow the team up, a Miller deal can only do so much. 

But where is it coming from? If we are committing to this team as is, we should be pushing for the playoffs right now. We won't be accumulating many more picks to take shots, and our picks in theory shoulder be later 1st rounders. I'm not advocating we blow it up, but I am advocating to do some serious surgery and hope we get lucky. I think we have a higher chance of being a contender if take our shot and try to swing for the fences. It may or may not work. But trading pieces like Miller and Garland that make the team worse short term could pay huge dividends if they pay off. If we run this back again, I don't see a pathway where we improve enough to actually win a cup within our Demko window.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

But where is it coming from? If we are committing to this team as is, we should be pushing for the playoffs right now. We won't be accumulating many more picks to take shots, and our picks in theory shoulder be later 1st rounders. I'm not advocating we blow it up, but I am advocating to do some serious surgery and hope we get lucky. I think we have a higher chance of being a contender if take our shot and try to swing for the fences. It may or may not work. But trading pieces like Miller and Garland that make the team worse short term could pay huge dividends if they pay off. If we run this back again, I don't see a pathway where we improve enough to actually win a cup within our Demko window.

it comes from the draft, thats where most teams get it from. We can get a lot of really good RHD prospects in the next few drafts in the 1st two rounds. 

I just don't see how we have the depth to do anything but try to compete with the core we have now, the timing just doesn't work. 

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Agree completely, I do believe that's what killed the negotiations with NYI, Miller's side may very well have an inflated number for teams he doesn't want to sign long term with.

Which would be driving down the value 

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So Miller is walking for free then. 

JR can say what he wants but Miller won't be allowed to be moved when we are on the bubble of the playoffs next TDL.

Lock this up. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it comes from the draft, thats where most teams get it from. We can get a lot of really good RHD prospects in the next few drafts in the 1st two rounds. 

I just don't see how we have the depth to do anything but try to compete with the core we have now, the timing just doesn't work. 

It's not just depth, it's quality depth. I don't see how this team with its current construction could win a cup. It's folly to me so I would rather make some high risk high reward moves then panic and push all the chips in and try to win the a flawed defensive core.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

It's not just depth, it's quality depth. I don't see how this team with its current construction could win a cup. It's folly to me so I would rather make some high risk high reward moves then panic and push all the chips in and try to win the a flawed defensive core.

I think the current F depth and Demko are capable of going on a run. We'd need to be one of those teams where the playoff brackets worked in our favour, but that happens. 

D... not yet. We have to see what the rest of the offseason brings us. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Warhippy said:

A career record setting pace by Shesterkin, Zibanejad, Kreider and the sustained pace of Panarin  is most likely not repeatable.  Stromes 54 point season with Trocheks 51 point career high.  Vatrano, Motte and Copp were the reason they did as well as they did in the post season.  Banking on all of that without Copp and Vatrano who were their 5th and 6th highest scoring threats in the playoffs

They will take a step back

You do raise some interesting points Warhippy - I guess we shall see!

24 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

First we heard from Jim Rutherford some level of frustration. Interesting. Seemed a little prickly in the sound bite. Kinda like that he pushed back hard against the media, Canucks media has been running rapid spreading a lot of rumors this past season. Glad he put them in their place.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think the current F depth and Demko are capable of going on a run. We'd need to be one of those teams where the playoff brackets worked in our favour, but that happens. 

I feel like if they give OEL some freedom (meaning a different D partner) to be more offensively driven and Dermott and Burroughs acclimate and step up their game it obviously looks much better for us. They need to address the D depth there's no question about it.

The fact that we have one of the highest paid bluelines in the league and we are discussing it being our weakness is pretty concerning but truth is it is our weakness as they just didn't play that well as a unit last year. We were hemmed in our own zone a lot and did not give Demko the support he deserves. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Our defense is what worries me. But is it really as bad as we’re making it out to be? 

Hughes, OEL, Myers, Schenn, etc.

Just now, JM_ said:

I entirely agree that our forwards and goalie are cup quality. But, I also did not believe for one second that Toronto or Edmonton was actually going to win a cup this last year (or going forward with their current construction). I know we have something that they don't, and that's Demko.  Teams are too good now, they need to be well rounded to win a cup. If say Garland is traded for a top 4 D, or we some how land Klingberg then my tune may change. But right now I really hope we aren't pushing our chips all in with Schenn playing with our blue chip defensemen. 

• Like 1

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

I feel like if they give OEL some freedom (meaning a different D partner) to be more offensively driven and Dermott and Burroughs acclimate and step up their game it obviously looks much better for us. They need to address the D depth there's no question about it.

The fact that we have one of the highest paid bluelines in the league and we are discussing it being our weakness is pretty concerning but truth is it is our weakness as they just didn't play that well as a unit last year. We were hemmed in our own zone a lot and did not give Demko the support he deserves. 

Was this under Green or Boudreau? 

19 minutes ago, AlphaNuck said:

Which would be driving down the value 

I think there are likely 4 or 5 teams that he would negotiate a fair extension with (total speculation). Before the 13th, they weren't actually allowed to do extensions, but they can now.

The teams that I think he would do an extension with and this is under assumption that we do actually move forward with a trade:

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Rangers

Devils

I could be completely wrong, but I think those are the teams he's interested in finishing his career with.

Just now, Shayster007 said:

I entirely agree that our forwards and goalie are cup quality. But, I also did not believe for one second that Toronto or Edmonton was actually going to win a cup this last year (or going forward with their current construction). I know we have something that they don't, and that's Demko.  Teams are too good now, they need to be well rounded to win a cup. If say Garland is traded for a top 4 D, or we some how land Klingberg then my tune may change. But right now I really hope we aren't pushing our chips all in with Schenn playing with our blue chip defensemen. 

It would be a miracle if we landed Klingberg, and are able to shed cap space. Garland, I cannot see bringing us back a top 4 RHD. I know you didn’t say RHD, but that’s what we need the most, and I’m assuming any trade involved either Miller or Garland or whoever else, would be to bring a great need to fill on the Canucks’ roster. 

With cgy losing 115pt player vegas looking like they took a step back there is a high chance were a shoe in for the playoffs this season especially since we really havent lost top talent and have boudreu to start with 

imagine this top seed in our division JT on pace for 100-110pts at TDL wtf then do we take our run and lose him for nothing? I cant see it beeing SO easy to trade your best player as a great team leading the division thats a scary situation 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Harold Drunken said:

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Our defense is what worries me. But is it really as bad as we’re making it out to be? 

Hughes, OEL, Myers, Schenn, etc.

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

Just going to put the same response to all. 

What I think helps with the much improved F group is hopefully we can finally give the d better puck support. Its one of the things I've always loved about Pittsburg, all F lines contribute to the team defence and we just haven't had anything like that for a long time. Maybe we do now, and if thats the case that alone will help. 

Another thing I liked about Pits, is they seem to be able to pull our more than they should from their d corps. I mean look at that cup run defence, it was horrid on paper.

I've been getting flamed a lot for it, but I firmly believe the person we need to move is Myers not Miller. We get OEL the right partner and I think we're a lot more competitive.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think there are likely 4 or 5 teams that he would negotiate a fair extension with (total speculation). Before the 13th, they weren't actually allowed to do extensions, but they can now.

The teams that I think he would do an extension with and this is under assumption that we do actually move forward with a trade:

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Rangers

Devils

I could be completely wrong, but I think those are the teams he's interested in finishing his career with.

Well out of those four teams. Not sure if the Rangers (though they make the most sense for us, which is why I don’t think it’ll work out), will work out. I think management wants Schneider, but Rangers seem to be pretty firm saying no for months. 

Philly I’m not sure is a place he’ll land, though what do I know. I think it’s either the Devils or Pitts, unless the Rangers change their tune on Schneider, I really cannot see them being a trading parter for Miller. 

What about the Islanders? Lou’s gotta be on the hot seat there….could he circle around with the Canucks about JT? 

• Cheers 1