The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

57 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They would want a young player.  Höglander might do the trick as they have a few Swedish players now.  Pearson + Höglander I would do that deal for Larsson.  Then I'd trade Myers to Dallas for a 2nd or 3rd round pick to recoup an asset.  Don't see Höglander in Boudreau's plans to be honest and we are loaded with young wingers now so he is kind of redundant and is a good trading chip...

Can't see why Seattle would want to downgrade on defence.  They also have 15 Fs - ie they are already going to have to waive players.  

Dallas doesn't have the cap space - Robertson and Oettinger still need new deals.  

There's very little cap space around the league and it's going to be just as tight in a year.  There will likely continue to be Bjorkstrand, Marino or Pacioretty type deals where good players go for next to nothing.  

More and more players coming off their ELCs are now getting 7-9M deals long term.  Even bridge deals can now be in the 7M range like Pettersson's.  It has reduced the available cap space that teams have.  Some of the mid-range players now look overpaid with cap space being so scarce - what was a reasonable deal just a year or 2 ago isn't anymore with the cap staying somewhat flat.  

Rutherford has been saying ever since he took over that priority was to clear cap space.  They haven't managed with him even confirming that it would require futures to move cap.  I doubt he though that they could move Dickinson/Poolman without a sweetener - ie it's probably not them they were trying to move to clear cap. 

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They would want a young player.  Höglander might do the trick as they have a few Swedish players now.  Pearson + Höglander I would do that deal for Larsson.  Then I'd trade Myers to Dallas for a 2nd or 3rd round pick to recoup an asset.  Don't see Höglander in Boudreau's plans to be honest and we are loaded with young wingers now so he is kind of redundant and is a good trading chip...

Nice plan. Hoping Larsson would waive his full NTC for VAN given the Swedish connections. But you gotta think Seattle would be on Pearson's no-trade list, no?

Also looking at their roster, SEA lacking in young defensemen prospects. I wonder if their preference would be for a young defenseman, such as Rathbone. However, we also gotta make the cap work too...maybe a chance to shed some cap for VAN.

I wonder if SEA would go for something like this:

To VAN: Larsson

To SEA: Rathbone + Hoglander + Poolman

For VAN that's $4m coming in and $4.24 going out.

SEA do this for the future potential of Hogs + Bones, but they also get an overpaid but steady third pairing RD in Poolman to fill a roster spot.

SEA D corps becomes:

Dunn Oleksiak

Soucy Schultz

Rathbone Poolman

Kempny Borgen

Don't know if that would be worth it for VAN...

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

did edmonton go on an improbable run? not really they started the year strong and then went thru a terrible slump in the middle and went back to their beginning of the season form after the coaching change.. i wouldn't call it improbable if they done it multiple times.. the team was winning games.. against bottom feeders. we are barely .500 against teams that ended up in the playoff..

how many teams in the pacific went thru a dramatic change other than calgary? LA added basically fiala. Vegas did pretty much nothing. Calgary lost offense but their defense is incredibly strong with or without weegar. we basically have a completely new 4th line 2 new top 6/9 wingers and a completely new bottom 6 defensive pairing. other than calgary we gone thru the most changes.. newly acquired players if it doesn't work out for other team it's 1 player.. we have 4 or 5. 

Vegas lost players, and they missed the playoffs dude

The kings are trending up

something’s going on in Calgary with Monahan regressing and their two top talents leaving. Basically the main pieces they built the team around are gone 

i get it tho

If you are negative and the team sucks you were right and if they are good no one cares. Patterson is that you?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mll said:

There will likely continue to be Bjorkstrand, Marino or Pacioretty type deals where good players go for next to nothing.  

I think this is what concerns me the most. That Miller could go for next to nothing. 

If that’s the case, do you just allow Miller to walk into free agency? Especially if the offers around the TDL aren’t as good as management was hoping for? If you resign him, does that mean Bo’s not coming back? 

1 hour ago, combover said:

If/When the isles miss out on kadri 

Dobson should be headed our way. 

Read in the Province that Dobson may still be in play.  Miller for Dobson.

Or slightly bigger trade…

Miller + Rathbone for Dobson + Wahlstrom 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, BPA said:

If Dobson is in play, not sure what the Isles are thinking. 

But I would do even that larger deal that you’ve suggested. Dobson + Wahlstrom for Miller and Rathbone going the other way. 

8 minutes ago, BPA said:

By the way. Where was the link for where you read that Dobson may still be in play for a trade with the Canucks?

7 minutes ago, Krinjer33 said:

Maybe Rutherford and Alvin are just waiting till we get this to 999 pages? 

Then they will pull the trigger forcing @-Vintage Canuck- to make a new thread and leaving us all in disappointment of not making it to 1000. 

This thread will easily hit 1,000. I wouldn’t be surprised if it hits 1,500, if not 2,000. Even though it seems that everything that could possibly been said has been said.

Well done CDC !

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Vegas lost players, and they missed the playoffs dude

The kings are trending up

something’s going on in Calgary with Monahan regressing and their two top talents leaving. Basically the main pieces they built the team around are gone 

i get it tho

If you are negative and the team sucks you were right and if they are good no one cares. Patterson is that you?

like i said vegas at no point played with a full healthy roster.. chance of them to have a completely decimated roster the entire year? slimmer than slim? Stone played half the season. Eichel played 1/3 of the season. Lehner played half the season pac played half the season now gone reilly smith played 2/3 of the season karlsson played 3/4 of the season.. basically not a single core guy on that roster other than pietrangleo marchessault and theodore played a full season.. they really lost nothing off their core other than pac and basically replaced by eichel.. you have to be a blind homer to say vegas with a full healthy stone and eichel on the roster will be worse than the bandaid patchwork lineup they had all season last year.

it's not call being negative it's call being realistic. all i have said is canucks are not guaranteed a playoff spot. you guys basically took the 1st month under boudreau where the team went on a big winning streak but completely ignored the january feb march and april 

we are 25-15-9 since january.. ya that's great 15 of the 25 wins are against team that missed the playoffs. we have 10 wins in 27 games against teams that made the playoff since january under bruce tell me how does that record indicate we are guaranteed to be a playoff teams? so what happens if we didnt have a relatively weak schedule with 22 games against non playoff teams in the 2nd half and it was mostly against the playoff teams? .370 winning percentage not point percentage against the playoff teams will = we are guaranteed to be a playoff team?

ok let's add the winning streak on there.. we won a grand total of 13 games against playoff teams since boudreau took over the team in 5 months.. so again how does that make us a strong team under boudreau and guaranteed to make the playoff??

17 minutes ago, BPA said:

It's just Kuzma playing armchair GM - it makes really no sense for NYI.  

Lamoriello said his top priority was to improve their D-corps - can't score if you can't move the puck out.   

• Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, BPA said:

I wonder what Dobson is looking for?  Maybe Lou doesn't like the numbers.  I'm sure he wants a deal similar to Hughes.  Will Lou pay him $7 million+?

They also need to sign Romanov.  And Mayfield is a UFA next summer so if they want to keep him they will need to pay him as well.  That's an expensive defence they will have.  Something has to give.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wonder what Dobson is looking for?  Maybe Lou doesn't like the numbers.  I'm sure he wants a deal similar to Hughes.  Will Lou pay him $7 million+?

The question is, if the Canucks acquired Dobson, what would we be paying him, and could we afford to pay what he’s asking for?

• Cheers 1

Oh man, if we could pry Dobson out of NYI that would be amazing!

I don’t know if I’m reading this right, but it sounds like Ben Kuzma is also suggesting that NYI might also have to add additional pieces, such as a prospect and a first. I would gladly do a one for one, Miller for Dobson. Here’s the quote I was referring to from the province:

“Adding a 99-point dynamo in Miller, 29, at a projected $8 million annually in a lengthy extension, is the cost of doing business to get anywhere in the tough Metropolitan Division. Dealing Dobson to the Canucks would ease some financial burden by also parting with a roster forward or top prospect, plus a 2023 first-round pick.“

1 minute ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Oh man, if we could pry Dobson out of NYI that would be amazing!

I don’t know if I’m reading this right, but it sounds like Ben Kuzma is also suggesting that NYI might also have to add additional pieces, such as a prospect and a first. I would gladly do a one for one, Miller for Dobson. Here’s the quote I was referring to from the province:

“Adding a 99-point dynamo in Miller, 29, at a projected $8 million annually in a lengthy extension, is the cost of doing business to get anywhere in the tough Metropolitan Division. Dealing Dobson to the Canucks would ease some financial burden by also parting with a roster forward or top prospect, plus a 2023 first-round pick.“

I understood it as the Canucks having to part with a roster forward, or a top prospect, or a 2023 first round pick. 

Another poster was suggesting Miller + Rathbone for Dobson and Wahlstrom. 

I’d do that deal in a heartbeat. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

The question is, if the Canucks acquired Dobson, what would we be paying him, and could we afford to pay what he’s asking for?

I'd do 7x7 for Dobson.  How do we fit him under the cap?  Well Miller would be gone and they would need a Dman to replace Dobson.  I'd throw in Dermott into the deal.

Garland or Pearson would be two guys I would look to move as well to get cap space.  Garland might be easier to trade.  We may not get much for him, but his $5 million in cap space would be just as valuable to the Canucks as a young prospect.