The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck future (Discussion)

KKnight

Despite the Panic about our beloved Canucks, I still feel this team can be good. This season? Maybe, maybe not. So my thought process is ..

We need to start at the top of the organization. We need a new voice or voices. Benning I think had a decent offseason, It just hasn't worked out and he has had more than enough time to right the ship. I don't have any suggestions as far as replacement. I really would like Ryan Johnson to get a promotion and be a part of our management team. He has great leadership qualities and that's what this organization needs. 

Coaching. If we were to make a change during the season, I would say put Shaw in charge on an interim basis and see how it unfolds. I would be paying attention to what's going on with the Isles. I'm hoping they make an irrational move and fire Trotz. That would be the perfect coach for us. 

Now on to potential player movement. 

Miller - He's in the prime of his career, but It's obvious after his contract, he will no longer be here. Won't be a part of our core going forward. If we do decide to trade him. Minny has been rumored to be interested. 

Vancouver - Greenway and a 1st 

Minny - Miller

Greenway isn't exactly having the best year, but last year had 30+ points. But, he adds an element to this team that were sorely lacking. a player who is intimidating. The 1st allows us to restock the farm or use for a chip in a trade. 

After that. I'm not so sure. I wouldn't move Boeser. He has been extremely unlucky. 

Offseason - We need a right handed penalty killing centerman. 

Our main target should be Noel Acciari. He has been injured this year, but his advanced stats the previous year were decent, only 11 points in 41 games, but had 20 goals the year before that. Could be a bargain. 

Hoglander - Pete - Boeser 

Garland - Bo - Podz 

Pearson - Acciari - Greenway 

Dickinson - ? - Motte/Highmore 

Hughes - Poolman 

OEL - Myers 

Rathbone - Hamonic 

Alright I'm done typing. Suggestions?

Edited by KKnight

The Wild are in a rebuild.  Doesn't make much sense for them to move a 1st.

Guerin's mandate is to build a perennial elite contender - not a one and done team.  They might lead the division but are not close to an elite contending team.  They've allowed more goals against per game than Vancouver.  They don't have the makeup of a team that is likely to go on a deep playoff run.  Guerin insists that they won't rush prospects.  He explains that he wants them to become difference makers and they need the development time in the AHL.  

Part of their building process is also to make sure they have the right culture and a winning environment.  

Their interest in Miller is certainly legit but as a hockey trade - not where they are giving up their future when they are still in the building process.  They are most likely offering Fiala and could probably add Greenway to the deal.  

Miller as a C is a better use of their limited cap space (13M in buyout cap hit next season followed by 2 more at 15M) than a winger like Fiala.  He would also bridge the gap till Rossi is ready.  He's also cost controlled while Fiala is RFA with an unclear future with them.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, mll said:

The Wild are in a rebuild.  Doesn't make much sense for them to move a 1st.

Guerin's mandate is to build a perennial elite contender - not a one and done team.  They might lead the division but are not close to an elite contending team.  They've allowed more goals against per game than Vancouver.  They don't have the makeup of a team that is likely to go on a deep playoff run.  Guerin insists that they won't rush prospects.  He explains that he wants them to become difference makers and they need the development time in the AHL.  

Part of their building process is also to make sure they have the right culture and a winning environment.  

Their interest in Miller is certainly legit but as a hockey trade - not where they are giving up their future when they are still in the building process.  They are most likely offering Fiala and could probably add Greenway to the deal.  

Miller as a C is a better use of their limited cap space (13M in buyout cap hit next season followed by 2 more at 15M) than a winger like Fiala.  He would also bridge the gap till Rossi is ready.  He's also cost controlled while Fiala is RFA with an unclear future with them.

We are surely going to get a 1st in a Miller deal. Miller would be a good fit with the Wild, they're a very aggressive/gritty team. It's not like they would be sacrificing the future by giving up Greenway and a 1st. They still have Boldy and Rossi. They get Miller for an additional year and surely they will trade Fiala in the offseason and attain an asset, seeing as they will have cap issues if they don't.  

42 minutes ago, KKnight said:

We are surely going to get a 1st in a Miller deal. Miller would be a good fit with the Wild, they're a very aggressive/gritty team. It's not like they would be sacrificing the future by giving up Greenway and a 1st. They still have Boldy and Rossi. They get Miller for an additional year and surely they will trade Fiala in the offseason and attain an asset, seeing as they will have cap issues if they don't.  

Unlikely.  They are still looking to draft because it's still a rebuild mindset.  They don't have the roster to contend with the best in the league.  Goaltending has been really poor this season.  Miller is not going to put them over the top.  That's not where the team is at in their rebuild.

I don't know what to think anymore.  The Aqualinis said don't blame Benning or Green - blame them. 

So, okay.  This is the owners fault.  I'm not going to another game or buying anymore merchandise until they do this right. Trading Miller or Boeser won't solve the meddling ownership problem.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't know what to think anymore.  The Aqualinis said don't blame Benning or Green - blame them

So, okay.  This is the owners fault.  I'm not going to another game or buying anymore merchandise until they do this right. Trading Miller or Boeser won't solve the meddling ownership problem.

When did this happen.

I wonder what Nashville will do this year? Are they healthy scratching P. Myers or has he been injured?

I thought they might be a team interested in JT Miller and they have some decent assets:

Luke Prokop

Cody Glass- will they move him already? Maybe he is our #3C of the future, doing well in the AHL but lost his vale since being drafted

Trenin- Russian big guy

1st round pick

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I wonder what Nashville will do this year? Are they healthy scratching P. Myers or has he been injured?

I thought they might be a team interested in JT Miller and they have some decent assets:

Luke Prokop

Cody Glass- will they move him already? Maybe he is our #3C of the future, doing well in the AHL but lost his vale since being drafted

Trenin- Russian big guy

1st round pick

Poile makes it sound like they are not going to be trading draft picks.  He says they are in a competitive rebuild and need to re-stock their cupboards.  They want to give opportunities to their prospects and get younger.

He says Ellis is the better player but they felt it was important to get younger.  Myers is struggling to get into the lineup but doesn't sound like they have given up on him.  Glass has apparently been suffering from a leg injury that has limited him the past year or so.  They want him to develop properly.  Don't see them parting with Trenin either as their aim is to get younger.

Doesn't feel like the best trade partner with where Nashville think they are at.

• Cheers 1

Management - I have no idea about replacement of Benning. I still like Benning's draft, and workings for this off season. The issue is his plan could not be carried out.

Coach - I ensure Green must go.  Agreed to put Shaw as interim head coach and see what he could do.

Players - There are lots of players present not good or not up to expect.

JT Miller - he is hard working but looks he will go after his contract expired. Trade him for rewarding something is a                              good  idea.

Captain Bo - I love him, he need to show his leadership.  Otherwise bring up a new player as captain.

Broser - He is unlucky this season. When he hit the post, Canucks would loss.  He need to pray before every game.                         HaHa

Petry -   So disappointed this season.  Any suggestion for him?

8 hours ago, KKnight said:

Despite the Panic about our beloved Canucks, I still feel this team can be good. This season? Maybe, maybe not. So my thought process is ..

We need to start at the top of the organization. We need a new voice or voices. Benning I think had a decent offseason, It just hasn't worked out and he has had more than enough time to right the ship. I don't have any suggestions as far as replacement. I really would like Ryan Johnson to get a promotion and be a part of our management team. He has great leadership qualities and that's what this organization needs. 

Coaching. If we were to make a change during the season, I would say put Shaw in charge on an interim basis and see how it unfolds. I would be paying attention to what's going on with the Isles. I'm hoping they make an irrational move and fire Trotz. That would be the perfect coach for us. 

Miller - He's in the prime of his career, but It's obvious after his contract, he will no longer be here. Won't be a part of our core going forward. If we do decide to trade him. Minny has been rumored to be interested. 

Minny - Miller

Greenway isn't exactly having the best year, but last year had 30+ points. But, he adds an element to this team that were sorely lacking. a player who is intimidating. The 1st allows us to restock the farm or use for a chip in a trade. 

After that. I'm not so sure. I wouldn't move Boeser. He has been extremely unlucky. 

Our main target should be Noel Acciari. He has been injured this year, but his advanced stats the previous year were decent, only 11 points in 41 games, but had 20 goals the year before that. Could be a bargain. 

Garland - Bo - Podz 

Hughes - Poolman 

OEL - Myers 

Rathbone - Hamonic 

I don't know why everyone is in a hurry to trade from a position that we're not that strong in. We don't have a lot of depth down center.

We're strong on the Right Wing, lots of depth, Boeser is the guy who we need to move to address our RD weakness. I think a trade that brings us someone capable of playing top pairing on RD, and we're a playoff team.

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't know why everyone is in a hurry to trade from a position that we're not that strong in. We don't have a lot of depth down center.

We're strong on the Right Wing, lots of depth, Boeser is the guy who we need to move to address our RD weakness. I think a trade that brings us someone capable of playing top pairing on RD, and we're a playoff team.

Who, from our current RD, gets demoted?  Myers, Hamonic, Poolman

8 hours ago, KKnight said:

Minny - Miller

Garland - Bo - Podz 

Hughes - Poolman 

OEL - Myers 

Rathbone - Hamonic 

Best proposal I’ve seen in awhile.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who, from our current RD, gets demoted?  Myers, Hamonic, Poolman

Good question, personally I think it would allow us to look at trading Myers. I think he's actually a pretty good defenseman, I think he could help a team that is heading for the playoffs, and hopefully bring back another RD prospect and possibly a pick, or someone who would replace Sutter as our #4 C. I hope Sutter will recover and come back, but I really wouldn't count on it.

I'm trying to envision a couple of roster moves that would reposition us for now and future on defense and penalty killing on the 3rd and 4th lines.

I really don't think we're far from being a playoff team, I think this is more about balance than anything else.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KKnight said:

Minny - Miller

Garland - Bo - Podz 

Hughes - Poolman 

OEL - Myers 

Rathbone - Hamonic 

you do know that he took for ever to sign Hughes and Petey 

and he re-signed Green

and he took on OEL for 5 more years

and traded away his 9th OA pick