The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T Miller. Yes we really need him

Rate this topic

Odd.

26 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Why does everyone have the urge to create trade proposals of Miller? He’s literally one of the best power forwards in the league right now, name me one true power forward in this league that’s out producing him. 

These types of players are so valuable in today’s NHL. Miller is the heart and soul of this rather soulless team. Without him, we wouldn’t even be talking about playoffs. Yet everyone wants to trade him for &^@#ing Fiala who’s nowhere even close as good as him. 

Miller is worth more than any return he could fetch. What he brings to this team is invaluable. We complain about our team lacking in the physical department, we complain we have no pushback, no grit, and yet some still want to trade the only player who plays like that on a nightly basis while being the primary contributor to this teams offense.

if someone wants JT they better pay a kings ransom otherwise screw off.

Well, Green plays him with Petey and these two aren’t aligned.

Then, Miller isn’t the core so when Millers value is the highest he should be traded to someone around 25 or younger. 
But Benning has been so unpatient so it’s unbelivable.

Benning should have got players like Miller in around two years and kept every 1st in draft til then. 

5 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I was listing roster players. I'd totally send Hughes out for the right price. 

Dipietro is expendable, seeing as you mentioned him, considering Demko is a top 5 goalie in the league and young.  

Hughes is signed for 6 more years at a reasonable cap hit.  Dipietro = potentially  solid back up at a low cost.  Possibly takes over from Demko if Demko leaves in 4-5 years.

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

Hughes is signed for 6 more years at a reasonable cap hit.  Dipietro = potentially  solid back up at a low cost.  Possibly takes over from Demko if Demko leaves in 4-5 years.

You post some of the most ridiculous proposals I've ever seen. You cannot come up with one you'd like for either of those players? :) 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

1) Horvat and Miller have very high value right now.

2) It’s unlikely that either guy re-signs here after July 1st 2023.

3) This season has proven that the Canucks are not in “win now” mode and should be thinking about replenishing their cupboards instead.

Both Horvat and Miller would land you a 1st and/or elite prospects in independent deals.

Figuring this out is actually pretty straightforward.

Yes so you want us to be in a perpetual rebuild. 

exactly who do you propose will fill in the gaps at center by trading those two?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Why does everyone have the urge to create trade proposals of Miller? He’s literally one of the best power forwards in the league right now, name me one true power forward in this league that’s out producing him. 

These types of players are so valuable in today’s NHL. Miller is the heart and soul of this rather soulless team. Without him, we wouldn’t even be talking about playoffs. Yet everyone wants to trade him for &^@#ing Fiala who’s nowhere even close as good as him. 

Miller is worth more than any return he could fetch. What he brings to this team is invaluable. We complain about our team lacking in the physical department, we complain we have no pushback, no grit, and yet some still want to trade the only player who plays like that on a nightly basis while being the primary contributor to this teams offense.

if someone wants JT they better pay a kings ransom otherwise screw off.

We're basically out of the playoffs already. There's nothing that this team has shown to expect we'll be back in the mix next year. And we've traded our last two 1st round picks!

Team is a mess right now, but there is still lots of young talent on the roster. If we can replenish the system, get a REAL coach and a REAL GM, we might be able to turn it around relatively quickly (Minny and Anaheim did it pretty fast, without any lottery luck either).

I would focus on Miller this year (suggested Chytil + Braden Schneider in another thread), along with the pending UFAs (Motte, Halak, Sutter if he returns). I'd keep Horvat though, because if he likes the new GM & coach, and things start improving, he may decide to stick around. If not, can still find a deal for him at next year's deadline. Miller is gonzo no matter what though.

• Like 1

Just now, D-Money said:

We're basically out of the playoffs already. There's nothing that this team has shown to expect we'll be back in the mix next year. And we've traded our last two 1st round picks!

Team is a mess right now, but there is still lots of young talent on the roster. If we can replenish the system, get a REAL coach and a REAL GM, we might be able to turn it around relatively quickly (Minny and Anaheim did it pretty fast, without any lottery luck either).

I would focus on Miller this year (suggested Chytil + Braden Schneider in another thread), along with the pending UFAs (Motte, Halak, Sutter if he returns). I'd keep Horvat though, because if he likes the new GM & coach, and things start improving, he may decide to stick around. If not, can still find a deal for him at next year's deadline. Miller is gonzo no matter what though.

The only way I’d be willing to trade Miller is for a number 1 RHD. Currently I don’t see anyone in the market for that right now. I’m not willing to trade Miller for a 2nd pairing defenseman, much rather use Boeser who I think is much more expendable.

The fact of the matter is we cannot afford to lose both Horvat and Miller. We have no center depth besides those two. I’d much rather keep Miller over Horvat if im being 100% honest. 

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

Yes so you want us to be in a perpetual rebuild. 

exactly who do you propose will fill in the gaps at center by trading those two?

Ummm...what do you think the last 8 years have been? :unsure:  And yet, somehow, we're as bad as when we started...

Pettersson regaining his form is literally the only thing that will turn us back into a playoff team in the near future, so that's our 1C. 2C might be part of the return for Miller (Chytil?). Or you can plug the hole with FAs until another prospect (2022 1st? Klimovich?) is ready.

5 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

What's the difference between a perpetual rebuild and finishing in last by accident?

They both suck.

So blow up the team = more prospects = more development time = more gaps in the roster rinse and repeat. Then when that new core is mediocre enough we do the same thing. 

I don’t understand the logic in off loading our top scorer just because we are having an off season, when we are coming off a playoff run 2 years ago and been in a 6-7 year re tool/rebuild. And especially when there are other more expendable players we can trade to target need

You don’t just trade an organizational need for another organizational need. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

The only way I’d be willing to trade Miller is for a number 1 RHD. Currently I don’t see anyone in the market for that right now. I’m not willing to trade Miller for a 2nd pairing defenseman, much rather use Boeser who I think is much more expendable.

The fact of the matter is we cannot afford to lose both Horvat and Miller. We have no center depth besides those two. I’d much rather keep Miller over Horvat if im being 100% honest. 

Nobody is going to trade a CURRENT #1 RHD for Miller. Any team wanting to add Miller won't be looking to subtract from their roster. You'll get much more interest if you are willing to take picks and prospects, and use those to find a FUTURE #1 RHD.

That's why some (myself included) have suggested targeting Braden Schneider from NYR in a package for Miller. He has the pedigree to be a solid, 2-way, #2 D-man - on paper a perfect partner for Hughes. But NYR might be willing to move him, because they have Fox, Trouba, and Lundkvist on the roster, so they're set at RD for a while. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Think of our window and that the window begins when Petey is over 25 years. 
Miller don’t go as a powerforward til he’s 37.

So trade him when he’s worth something and add a piece to the core.