The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Green to be Fired

Rate this topic

Me_

17 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

You guys just beat me to it!  Yes please to AV again.  Here's the accountability I liked with him and what I think we miss with Green (considering both are "players coaches"):

https://www.tsn.ca/philadelphia-flyers-alain-vigneault-1.1729319

The Flyers, who have dropped to seventh in the Metropolitan Division, have scored just 12 goals over the seven-game skid"I'm not satisfied about anything here," Flyers head coach Alain Vigneault said after Thursday's loss. "We have to find ways to win games here. This is serious. We're not scoring. Right now, we're not finishing, so we're going to have to find ways to win games 1-0 and 2-1 until we get some of that finish that I know some of these players have. Right now, we're not seeing it, we're not executing it." 

Hard to imagine they're having trouble scoring with Zack "the next great one" MacEwan on  the roster. 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

You guys just beat me to it!  Yes please to AV again.  Here's the accountability I liked with him and what I think we miss with Green (considering both are "players coaches"):

https://www.tsn.ca/philadelphia-flyers-alain-vigneault-1.1729319

The Flyers, who have dropped to seventh in the Metropolitan Division, have scored just 12 goals over the seven-game skid"I'm not satisfied about anything here," Flyers head coach Alain Vigneault said after Thursday's loss. "We have to find ways to win games here. This is serious. We're not scoring. Right now, we're not finishing, so we're going to have to find ways to win games 1-0 and 2-1 until we get some of that finish that I know some of these players have. Right now, we're not seeing it, we're not executing it." 

Av had his favourites too, let's not forget that. He didn't play his young players all that much, opting to go veteran heavy.

In this respect, I don't see a major difference there. Av however is much better at game/bench management

5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

He also rode his favourite goaltender too hard.

But of course, who am I to comment on AV?  I'm just a moron, according to some users here...

(If we bring back AV, it'll be "plus ça change...")

I just like how he does a great job of dancing the line of calling out players

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Av had his favourites too, let's not forget that. He didn't play his young players all that much, opting to go veteran heavy.

In this respect, I don't see a major difference there. Av however is much better at game/bench management

AV also developed those favourites down in Manitoba.

He has a much better track record of developing really good role players. Something this team desperately needs right now.

• Cheers 1

On 12/2/2021 at 1:09 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

Well said - and completely factual, to the point and brutally honest.     I, like very many others, have been advocating the Termination of both of them for a long time, for those points you mentioned and long list of others.    Re-signing them both in the off season was a train wreck that even a blind man could see coming.    Now, here we are in year 8-1/2 of Uncle jims tenure still talking about never ending failure.  When will this all come to an end?  Sureley, someone out there must be in charge of this team?????

You've wanted to fire every coach and GM as well as trade every player that's worn a Canuck jersey, so, what else is new?

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

I don't want to see any former coaches, former GM's or, former players, ever on this roster. What's with this certain part of our fanbase and their desire for this?

Nostalgia.

It’s about thinking we can get back to our glory days. Rarely does it ever work though.

This team needs a new direction and more progressive thinking I agree.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Nostalgia.

It’s about thinking we can get back to our glory days. Rarely does it ever work though.

This team needs a new direction and more progressive thinking I agree.

There's only one coach, past or present, in the NHL that I've ever wanted to see behind the bench and that's Barry Trotz. The Canucks stand a snow ball chance in hell of that ever happening.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ebbett played limited games for us when injuries hit.

I would hardly say he was AVs favourite. Gillis just didn’t give him much depth on the farm to choose from.

There were tons of better options available than Ebbett who was a useless plug and was similar to Petan and Megna.  There was no excuse for anyone in their right mind to allow Ebbett to play a single shift for us, yet AV allowed that AHL bum to suit up for us in the playoffs.  He was absolutely gifted unearned icetime here.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I don't want to see any former coaches, former GM's or, former players, ever on this roster. What's with this certain part of our fanbase and their desire for this?

I'd welcome Burrows behind the bench everyday of the week. 

Actually there are a few former employees that i would like. 

I'm part of the certain group I guess. 

9 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Coaches bounce around. Do you think Calgary is regretting taking another swing with Sutter right now?

Personally, if AV became available, I would be okay with seeing him back behind the bench.

I could easily be wrong, but I think they are letting this ride with Green for now, and that first on the shopping list is new GM and possibly President and then have whoever fills those positions, address coaching.

I didn't think there would be a change until the team got back to Vancouver, and I also don't think they will jump until they feel they have the right guy, ready to plug in. It's possible that they haven't talked to anyone that they trust yet.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There were tons of better options available than Ebbett who was a useless plug and was similar to Petan and Megna.  There was no excuse for anyone in their right mind to allow Ebbett to play a single shift for us, yet AV allowed that AHL bum to suit up for us in the playoffs.  He was absolutely gifted unearned icetime here.

Tons of options such as?

Just now, DeNiro said:

Tons of options such as?

Pinizotto, Schroeder, Grenier.  None were perfect but they were at least capable of bringing something useful to the equation, unlike Ebbett who did literally nothing to suggest he had any business playing in the NHL.  AV did his best Green impression and let Ebbett stink up the joint even after he had clearly demonstrated how useless he was.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Pinizotto, Schroeder, Grenier.  None were perfect but they were at least capable of bringing something useful to the equation, unlike Ebbett who did literally nothing to suggest he had any business playing in the NHL.  AV did his best Green impression and let Ebbett stink up the joint even after he had clearly demonstrated how useless he was.

Ebbett was a center so it gave him a leg up over Grenier and Pinozotto.

Schroeder was not an NHL player. Definitely not a bottom 6 player. 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ebbett was a center so it gave him a leg up over Grenier and Pinozotto.

Schroeder was not an NHL player. Definitely not a bottom 6 player. 

Ebbett also wasn't an NHL player though.  When the argument is that AV also likes playing AHL trash over prospects, this is a pretty clear example.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Ebbett also wasn't an NHL player though.  When the argument is that AV also likes playing AHL trash over prospects, this is a pretty clear example.

He was more of an NHL player than Schroeder which is the point.

Pretty weak competition so I’m not gonna blame AV for that. Clearly we lacked depth if Schroeder and Pinizotto were his only competition.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He was more of an NHL player than Schroeder which is the point.

Pretty weak competition so I’m not gonna blame AV for that. Clearly we lacked depth if Schroeder and Pinizotto were his only competition.

Eh, we'll agree to disagree as Ebbett was a massive liability for us that year, proving himself to be incapable of handling even limited minutes.  I'll 100% blame AV for letting that useless plug play a single shift for us, and was calling him out for it at the time too.

No more plug love.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Those are some long lost names ::DEbbet is one of the most hated Canucks I'd say. For good reason.

We had a fighter in those years too. Not Rypin. After him. Can't remember his name though edit Volpatti 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33