The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

18 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The scenario in a few games won't have the same impact as the scenario a few seasons from now could. Being frustrated and being under team control isn't the same as being able to take your qualifying offer and then walk to UFA. That's how it could look for Pettersson. 

What we need is something else entirely. I agree change is needed, but Pettersson doesn't have that kind of decision making power a few games from now. 

I was not talking EP I was saying management needs to do something as in a rebuild and trading what players want out.Retooling doesn't help at all as we have seen.What is this 4 plus years of that.Rebuild trade everyone including EP that will get us picks plus prospects and in three years we should be a winning team.

9 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I was not talking EP I was saying management needs to do something as in a rebuild and trading what players want out.Retooling doesn't help at all as we have seen.What is this 4 plus years of that.Rebuild trade everyone including EP that will get us picks plus prospects and in three years we should be a winning team.

And I agree, I'm simply stating that if they stay the course and the team continues to flounder important decisions regarding Demko, Hughes, and Pettersson may resolve themselves in a way management might not like. I don't imagine most players want to stay with a floundering team forever. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Ever wonder why it rains in Vancouver,. ?

it’s the continuing dark cloud journalism,  and those that thrive on it.

Ottawa Detroit and Buffalo had a bad time last year too.

Sure, the media here doesn't help but fans who've been watching and following the team most of the last decade don't need media reports to tell us we haven't been very good. 

It's their job to get clicks, ect, that's what drives their income and pays their bills. Negativity sells, it's controversial and promotes discussion and engagement. If there weren't money in it there wouldn't be so many folks in sports making a living off of it. 

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

The scenario in a few games won't have the same impact as the scenario a few seasons from now could. Being frustrated and being under team control isn't the same as being able to take your qualifying offer and then walk to UFA. That's how it could look for Pettersson. 

What we need is something else entirely. I agree change is needed, but Pettersson doesn't have that kind of decision making power a few games from now. 

I think this coming off-season is make or break time for Pettersson. If the team doesn't start to turn things around then management is going to have to work really hard to sell Pettersson on whatever their plan is. He's already on record saying he wants to be on a competitive/winning team so if it doesn't look like that's going to be here I can definitely see him requesting a trade or taking his QO and walking. If management can't sell Pettersson on a vision then they need to trade him for as big a haul as they can get.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I think this coming off-season is make or break time for Pettersson. If the team doesn't start to turn things around then management is going to have to work really hard to sell Pettersson on whatever their plan is. He's already on record saying he wants to be on a competitive/winning team so if it doesn't look like that's going to be here I can definitely see him requesting a trade or taking his QO and walking. If management can't sell Pettersson on a vision then they need to trade him for as big a haul as they can get.

I'd like to keep Pettersson, I'd like to keep Hughes, I'd like to keep Podz. I understand the pros and cons of keeping and selling Demko. 

But at the end of the day I'd move out anyone who decides they don't want to be here, anyone. We could get a good haul for all of the players I've mentioned. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

Need a plan, need to action it, and it needs to work (team needs to show progress/improvement). Do that and I think they can get him to stay. Don't and....we'll likely be trading him in a couple TDL's.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, coryberg said:

Pettersson will be 25 years old, and still a restricted free agent. But he’ll also be in his sixth NHL season and just a single season away from unrestricted free agency at age 26.

At that point, there’s nothing stopping Pettersson from accepting his one-year qualifying offer — or even filing for arbitration — playing out the year, and then moving on as a UFA.

There you go.....someone gets it!  Cheers Coryberg.  If this season goes down badly and we don't get a franchise-changing player in the draft, say goodbye to EP.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Need a plan, need to action it, and it needs to work (team needs to show progress/improvement). Do that and I think they can get him to stay. Don't and....we'll likely be trading him in a couple TDL's.

Further to that. Honestly Pettersson is a "tomorrow" problem. I think it's silly for people to focus so much on him when we have FAR, FAR more pressing issues.

Yet I see this mentioned in like every other post :lol:

We need to fix the far more pressing issues first, improve the team, and then worry about whether we can retain Petey in a couple years. Do those things well and it shouldn't be a problem.

• Cheers 1

The missing ingredient to this team is the compete level.  I thought TG was the issue and I still thought that he was last year.  But this year is suggesting that the core are also a problem.  Quiet quitters is a buzzphrase that could be extended to this group right now.  

Every successful team has a group of guys who's compete level is high and on display game in, game out.  Those are the guys I want to see on the ice.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Further to that. Honestly Pettersson is a "tomorrow" problem. I think it's silly for people to focus so much on him when we have FAR, FAR more pressing issues.

Yet I see this mentioned in like every other post :lol:

We need to fix the far more pressing issues first, improve the team, and then worry about whether we can retain Petey in a couple years. Do those things well and it shouldn't be a problem.

It's only a talking point because people are debating whether or not to tear the club right down into a rebuild......so not really a tomorrow problem, but more of an assessment of how far do you go

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

It's only a talking point because people are debating whether or not to tear the club right down into a rebuild......so not really a tomorrow problem, but more of an assessment of how far do you go

IMO proactively moving Pettersson is silly talk. It's the anger/trauma/frustration talking.

Him and Hughes should be all but untouchable. Demko close behind. Podrick etc close behind that. No re-thingy is ever COMPLETELY scorched earth. Anyone 28+ making more than $2m should absolutely be fair game though. 

If, THAT plan goes poorly, and Pettersson wants out in a couple years, you worry about it then.

No sense worrying about the speed bump 5km down the road when there's a flaming car, down hydro wire, and broken bridge, right in front of you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Ever wonder why it rains in Vancouver,. ?

it’s the continuing dark cloud journalism,  and those that thrive on it.

Ottawa Detroit and Buffalo had a bad time last year too.

I don't like these guys either but that tweet is just stating the fact. The team sucked for almost a decade.

And I think it starts from the ownership and the management not having a proper plan in place.

If you think about the history of the franchise, although we sucked in the 80's, that's when we started to establish culture (Smyl) and in the latter part of the 80's started to bring in good players that became the foundation for the team's culture in the 90's culminating in the cup run in 1994 (Linden, Bure). Then, a bit of rebuilding years in the latter part of the 90's that led us to the WCE era in the 2000's. WCE era Canucks would have had more success if the owner spent little more money to upgrade the goaltending. Then, the Sedins and Kesler took over for nearly a decade after WCE.

But we've had no succession plan in place for the Sedins. The blame goes to Gillis who failed at the draft, although I think he did a good job building the NHL roster.

Realizing his failure at the draft, Gillis seemed like he wanted a rebuild. Well, the greedy owner fired Gillis for that. And now the team has no identity.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Tank4Bedard said:

If we get someone like bedard I'd be more than happy to say goodbye to petey and trade him for some good pieces. 

Only if he refuses to re-sign. Then, we should trade him like Calgary traded Tkachuk.

3 minutes ago, jyu said:

I don't like these guys either but that tweet is just stating the fact. The team sucked for almost a decade.

And I think it starts from the ownership and the management not having a proper plan in place.

If you think about the history of the franchise, although we sucked in the 80's, that's when we started to establish culture (Smyl) and in the latter part of the 80's started to bring in good players that became the foundation for the team's culture in the 90's culminating in the cup run in 1994 (Linden, Bure). Then, a bit of rebuilding years in the latter part of the 90's that led us to the WCE era in the 2000's. WCE era Canucks would have had more success if the owner spent little more money to upgrade the goaltending. Then, the Sedins and Kesler took over for nearly a decade after WCE.

But we've had no succession plan in place for the Sedins. The blame goes to Gillis who failed at the draft, although I think he did a good job building the NHL roster.

Realizing his failure at the draft, Gillis seemed like he wanted a rebuild. Well, the greedy owner fired Gillis for that. And now the team has no identity.

… the thing is,   We have to stop with this knee jerk mentality.

I don’t think keeping Benning / green would have helped,.   But we can’t expect miracles from a management group that has really only been in place for 4 months of hockey played between Jan 2022, and now.

The sports media here should all go back to Toronto.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I think that interview of him wanting to be on a winning team is a bit overblown. He wasn't looking to be out, he was just saying he wants to win and phrased it in a way that led to weird translation.

If Pettersson puts up great numbers for the next couple of seasons, I don't see that being a problem. We offer him 10 million dollars, I'd like to see him say no to that? How many winning teams can fit in a 10 million dollars contract? But on the off chance that he refuses? I think we can trade him for a pretty good return.

Right now, we just need to worry about affording Horvat, which seems highly unlikely. Then we need look for best trade options for Bo.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

… the thing is,   We have to stop with this knee jerk mentality.

I don’t think keeping Benning / green would have helped,.   But we can’t expect miracles from a management group that has really only been in place for 4 months of hockey played between Jan 2022, and now.

The sports media here should all go back to Toronto.

No, we expect a FO to act on those things they identified as a priority to the fan base last year. So far, they haven't done a thing, and wasted valuable cap space in the process, yet blame their inactivity on cap space. 

At the end of the day, this FO is simply talking out of both side of their mouth; they are scared to make a move and fail. This can be seen on them doubling down on the "core", yet talking about how the team is broken or not structured properly. The fact that JR said they knew they were in trouble when they had a "bad camp" is shocking. A change should have happened at that point.

Just more ATNA (All talk no action)

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

No, we expect a FO to act on those things they identified as a priority to the fan base last year. So far, they haven't done a thing, and wasted valuable cap space in the process, yet blame their inactivity on cap space. 

At the end of the day, this FO is simply talking out of both side of their mouth; they are scared to make a move and fail. This can be seen on them doubling down on the "core", yet talking about how the team is broken or not structured properly. The fact that JR said they knew they were in trouble when they had a "bad camp" is shocking. A change should have happened at that point.

Just more ATNA (All talk no action)

Well , it could be worse and this team could be playing out of UBC , with no real dressing rooms, Condos popping up at Rogers Place.

Fun times in Arizona,.    and Buffalo has taken a decade or more to ice a team like they have now.

I think it’s funny how sports fans react in this town..    it is called sports and entertainment ;)

Imagine what it’s like in TO, not seeing a Cup Final for about 50 years.

There is a good template to work with here,.

but the truth is the cap, stagnates the growth and well being of organizations.

Thus players leave for greener pastures, and or teams become handcuffed went players fail to perform.

personaly,  I wanted to trade the twins in they’re final 2 years,.  They could have, and deservedly should have won a cup somewhere..   imagine our picks / prospects to roll with coming back out of a deal like that.

Love is a double edged sword,  and “always a Canuck” dosent mean your contribution can’t be traded and remembered.

just spitting chicklets here.