The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

He could request a trade, say nothing, text emojis of bags of money. Lots of options, really.

While I agree he will most likely be traded, it seems both his agent and PA have kept a window open, if you pay attention.

Like I said: he might appreciate a preview of the new coach before agreeing to talk to other teams about extensions,

I have been paying attention, I just don't take PA at his word. He's got a track record of opening his mouth, talking, and saying absolutely nothing of any real significance. Speaks like a politician. 

Maybe, I doubt it. This is the fourth coach Bo's seen arrive during his time here, I'll be very surprised if he elects to stick around on what'll likely continue to be a loser. All Bo's done as a Canuck is lose, careers are fleeting and if really wants to chase a cup he'll have a better chance at doing that elsewhere. 

Alvin said it himself, this isn't going to be a quick fix. Might be the only real information he gave us and it's nothing we didn't already know. 

2 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

If I am Bo, and winning is what I want, along with a spot in the top 6 of a very good team I look at 3 options (presuming he heads into the summer as a free agent).

-sign for less money with the Avalanche (like 6.5 x 8) for a chance to be a champion, more than once. Fill their 2C slot and be on a contending team for the next 5-6 years.

-sign for big money in Boston. there need for a C to replace Bergeron and Krejci is glaring.

-sign in Carolina long term. young team with a fantastic core. great coach. great system. no spotlight.

Yup, all three are absolutely viable options. Could possibly throw the Rangers in there too, or maybe the Islanders. Or possibly Jersey. 

If he makes it to UFA and can be had for nothing but term and money he'll have no shortage of landing spots where he could chase a cup. Teams would make room. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

I’m not sure about that. His agent has said he likes being the Captain of a Canadian team, and he started his family here. He might appreciate a preview of the new coach before agreeing to talk to other teams about extensions,

The other aspect to this is perhaps Bo is too passive of a guy and having a coach like Tocchet relieves him of playing bad cop (if he could). I think Bo would react well to a stronger culture of success around him as encouragement. Might make his game a bit edgier too. Last few coaches have been player’s coaches. Tocchet may be able to draw that out of Bo. Hard to say, but if he’s traded it’s because mgmt doesn’t feel he has that type of gear.

Regardless, If he gets traded to the Bruins, he’s gonna have to find it.

• Cheers 2
  • elephant 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

The other aspect to this is perhaps Bo is too passive of a guy and having a coach like Tocchet relieves him of playing bad cop (if he could). I think Bo would react well to a stronger culture of success around him as encouragement. Might make his game a bit edgier too. Last few coaches have been player’s coaches. Tocchet may be able to draw that out of Bo. Hard to say, but if he’s traded it’s because mgmt doesn’t feel he has that type of gear.

Regardless, If he gets traded to the Bruins, he’s gonna have to find it.

Great point on his leadership paired with coaching style. He’s a classy guy, great ambassador and clutch performer. Not sure if he’s comfortable holding people accountable in the room though. I’m a fan of him as a hockey player, but interested to see what a different Captain could bring.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, .Naslund said:

So you’d like some Patrick Whites, Nicklas Jensens, and Brendan Gaunces for Bo Horvat? 1st round draft picks in the 25-31 range? Wait 5 years for them to fizzle out?

I was eluding to the management group/ownership.

47 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

If I am Bo, and winning is what I want, along with a spot in the top 6 of a very good team I look at 3 options (presuming he heads into the summer as a free agent).

-sign for less money with the Avalanche (like 6.5 x 8) for a chance to be a champion, more than once. Fill their 2C slot and be on a contending team for the next 5-6 years.

-sign for big money in Boston. there need for a C to replace Bergeron and Krejci is glaring.

-sign in Carolina long term. young team with a fantastic core. great coach. great system. no spotlight.

Colorado doesn’t have the cap space for BO. Carolina doesn’t sign 28 year olds to 8 year deals. That not how they do business. He can go to Boston to replace Bergeron. That’s probably his best option. But they may not be a cup contender anymore once all their UFA’s leave. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Flip side to tocchett hiring jr and PA will want him to succeed so they look like they did the right thing and Tocs the right choice. 

keeping horvat helps Toc as does rushing Demko back into the lineup. This franchise is based on short sighted moves. 

47 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Colorado doesn’t have the cap space for BO. Carolina doesn’t sign 28 year olds to 8 year deals. That not how they do business. He can go to Boston to replace Bergeron. That’s probably his best option. But they may not be a cup contender anymore once all their UFA’s leave. 

Colorado could squeeze in Horvat around 6 mil per if they could convince him to take a discount to play on a winner. Even with NM's raise coming, they have other contracts coming off the books like Erik Johnson. And they could trade Francouz. It's not likely but it could happen if Burnaby Joe gets creative.

Carolina might be willing to sign him. He is an excellent centerman who can play in all situations, whose game would fit in nicely with how they play as a team. Plus having a combo of Aho and Horvat over the next number of years could be more appealing than you think.

As for Boston. It just makes sense for all parties.

Edited by KirkSave
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, combover said:

Flip side to tocchett hiring jr and PA will want him to succeed so they look like they did the right thing and Tocs the right choice. 

keeping horvat helps Toc as does rushing Demko back into the lineup. This franchise is based on short sighted moves. 

Agree they’ll want him to succeed, but they didn’t seem to be in a rush to turn things around. The elephant idiom is preaching patience/small steps. 

They haven’t expressed any confidence in re-signing Horvat, but sounds like there’s still an outside chance.

Doubt they’ll even consider rushing Demko, especially after Pearson’s setbacks.

11 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Agree they’ll want him to succeed, but they didn’t seem to be in a rush to turn things around. The elephant idiom is preaching patience/small steps. 

They haven’t expressed any confidence in re-signing Horvat, but sounds like there’s still an outside chance.

Doubt they’ll even consider rushing Demko, especially after Pearson’s setbacks.

I don’t put anything past this franchise anymore.

they like to use saying and phases when it suits them and back track or say it was based on  “speculation.”when it doesn’t

I highly doubt he wants anything to do with this club anymore. You can’t treat people like crap and expect them to bleed for you. money isn’t everything to some  of these guys, some  have self respect that isn’t for sale. 
the  I love Vancouver sentiment only hold so much water

and  I bet he does love  the city ask him if he loves what this franchise stands for right now  (off the record). 
i doubt anyone has very nice things to say besides 

“it’s a business” 

and the long list of cliches they say when they have nothing nice to say. 

I do believe Carolina could possibly sign him for 7-8 years. Sooner or later they're going to have to get off the fence and go for it or risk being a team who's arguably good enough to contend that never amounts to anything. They absolutely have a hole at 2C and Pacioretty's expiring 7M would pay for most of Horvat. 

Yes, it's in the best interest of most teams to not sign players to deals that take players later into their 30's, it's part of why I'm chapped about Miller, but it's a bit different when you're arguably on the cusp of a championship like Carolina is. Horvat will be 28 in April, you should be able to get at least four or five seasons of top six level production from him yet, and as his production falls off he'll still have intangibles to mitigate some of whatever production is lost. He's not a one dimensional player and that should bode well for a team that brings him on board. 

A seven year deal would take him to 35, better that than 37. If Bo could help the Canes win a championship the fanbase, management, and ownership would happily eat his contract. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I do believe Carolina could possibly sign him for 7-8 years. Sooner or later they're going to have to get off the fence and go for it or risk being a team who's arguably good enough to contend that never amounts to anything. They absolutely have a hole at 2C and Pacioretty's expiring 7M would pay for most of Horvat. 

Yes, it's in the best interest of most teams to not sign players to deals that take players later into their 30's, it's part of why I'm chapped about Miller, but it's a bit different when you're arguably on the cusp of a championship like Carolina is. Horvat will be 28 in April, you should be able to get at least four or five seasons of top six level production from him yet, and as his production falls off he'll still have intangibles to mitigate some of whatever production is lost. He's not a one dimensional player and that should bode well for a team that brings him on board. 

A seven year deal would take him to 35, better that than 37. If Bo could help the Canes win a championship the fanbase, management, and ownership would happily eat his contract. 

Was interesting that Carolina wasn’t one of the four teams listed in that update this weekend. Buccigross? 

5 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Was interesting that Carolina wasn’t one of the four teams listed in that update this weekend. Buccigross? 

I'm not sure, I must have missed the update

I could see them being in a position where they're still re-evaluating, losing Pacioretty again is big as he was showing that he's still an effective player 

Maybe he's back closer to playoff time, maybe he comes back for the playoffs, maybe he doesn't come back at all

Carolina is one of the best defensive teams in the league and that'll serve them well come playoff time, that being said they're only a middle of the road team offensively as they're 14th in goals and their powerplay is 25th, that's with them leading the league in shots on goal

Kotkaniemi is young enough that he could still be something but he's not looking like a 2C right now and they could absolutely use a more effective offensive player in that spot 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not sure, I must have missed the update

I could see them being in a position where they're still re-evaluating, losing Pacioretty again is big as he was showing that he's still an effective player 

Maybe he's back closer to playoff time, maybe he comes back for the playoffs, maybe he doesn't come back at all

Carolina is one of the best defensive teams in the league and that'll serve them well come playoff time, that being said they're only a middle of the road team offensively as they're 14th in goals and their powerplay is 25th, that's with them leading the league in shots on goal

Kotkaniemi is young enough that he could still be something but he's not looking like a 2C right now and they could absolutely use a more effective offensive player in that spot 

Yep, agreed. I like them as a trade partner. Hope they’re still in it, or return after Patches re-injury

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

Colorado could squeeze in Horvat around 6 mil per if they could convince him to take a discount to play on a winner. Even with NM's raise coming, they have other contracts coming off the books like Erik Johnson. And they could trade Francouz. It's not likely but it could happen if Burnaby Joe gets creative.

Carolina might be willing to sign him. He is an excellent centerman who can play in all situations, whose game would fit in nicely with how they play as a team. Plus having a combo of Aho and Horvat over the next number of years could be more appealing than you think.

As for Boston. It just makes sense for all parties.

6 mil a yr for Horvat?  U serious?  

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if they're going to somehow manage to re-sign Horvat.

With Tocchet coming in before the TDL, he'll be helping to assess the current roster. He may feel a player like Boeser, for example, isn't a part of the plan moving forward, and trades will happen to open up some cap space. Canucks fans might not like the returns, but it'll be all about clearing cap. I think they'll also re-sign Kuzmenko.

Next season:

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Miller

Podkolzin - Horvat - Mikheyev

Maybe the big changes will be with the D and goaltending. Martin won't be back IMO.

Boeser is the opposite of what tochett wants in a player so hes gone soon.

11 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Does anyone have a recap of the rumours?  

Which teams are the most often mentioned as trade destinations?

Was just looking back in this thread…on Thursday or Friday someone on Twitter said it was down to 4 teams, DET, BOS, SEA and one more, and was really hinting at SEA.