The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Ottawa Senators | Dec. 01, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, Petey started to struggle the minute Green began transforming him into a proper no 1 200 feet center. 
That might be a good thinh if Green knows what he does. 
I wrote about the gap(rift?) between Miller and Petey last season.

Now they are on different lines so it’s a start. 

The desperate bit is aquiring a 7 mill defenceman before the window started. As throwing away our firsts for players. 
Miller seems to be better than I thought if he continues with goals like his last. 

But nevertheless. Miller will be expensive so he’ll have to go, or another player like Boeser. Just because Benning was impatient and diddn’t trust his prospects or the upcoming drafts to deliver cheap ETC contracts when the window start. 

We really need those ETC contracts…

I would have let our aging contracts play out and then sign a 10 mill rhd instead. 
We can bring up Pearson, Dickinson etc as example of desperation.

Why not let our ETcs play for pennies instead. 
Our real window starts in a few years or when Petey is transformed into what Benning and Green wants. 

What are you even talking about.  EP was so skilled that he was able to play center role off the hop in the NHL with freaking Goldobin as a wingman.    Where is that EP now!  Oh that's on Green and JB - the same guys that gave EP better minutes and better wingmen to excel.    Sorry Timra - it's 100% on EP to "find his game".   Torts would have benched him last season.   And this year already asked for a trade. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes it is.   And the irony in that is, all the team needs right now is for them to find their game again and we might make the playoffs despite the terrible record we have now.    TG gets so much vitriol on this site a small portion of that is understandable.    Letting Gadj go that's about it.   Maybe OJ too but let's be real here - this kid made fun of the gym when he was drafted, and it's the gym that still is his issue.   Put the freaking time in already, don't lie on the ice like you just ran a marathon when fringe players aren't nearly as winded.    The very best players never stop working on their craft.  McDavid and Crosby have an elite work ethic - as did Bure practicing with a freaking parachute.     This isn't going to the gym three times a week.   Over training can be a problem but not for OJ.   So Travis Green gets a pass for that.  As does JB aside from drafting him in the first place, at least he was able to trade him pre-waive.  

The blame game right now - unfortunately, starts a little bit with JB not bringing in a bottom six that can kill penalties while we waited for Motte (who's what Dickinson should be) and at the very minimum, a LHD to replace what OJ was supposed to be at the very minimum, a good third pairing D that can kill penalties and add some offense.  

But i agree, if BB was as good as he was last year or EP wasn't a shell of his former self .....  we'd all be so happy for being 3/4 in our division and getting our flags cleaned for another playoff.  Instead we are where we are.    It's ironic that JB master trade so far, is the only thing holding what's left together.   To me anyways, Garland is our MVP so far. And QHs criticisms have died way down because OEL is playing the big brother role for him at the moment. 

Perfectly put...

Only thing is the LHD that bugs me... I understand Greens frustrations (and probably the players too) seeing a prospect that so much time has been invested in, laying flat on the ice like some hippie at Woodstock... What pissed me off from the word go, was their insistence to play Rathbone at 3rd pairing LHD, knowing fully well that QH needs some sort of sheltering, which to me suggested we would be short of a proper 3rd paring that could PK... 

Like Rathbone as a prospect, but it was always going to be him or QH that would run our PP, as both as 'small' and not really suited to lay PK...not yet at least. Thus, I felt he should have kept OJ, or at least endured we had a different option for that position.

This mocking about not really being ablate cover LHD properly, especially with defence in mind has been a massive reason in our PK being, what it is... That together with Gadjovich is my main peeves with Greene. It really bugged me big time, and still does.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, Petey started to struggle the minute Green began transforming him into a proper no 1 200 feet center. 

The desperate bit is aquiring a 7 mill defenceman before the window started. As throwing away our firsts for players. 
Miller seems to be better than I thought if he continues with goals like his last. 

But nevertheless. Miller will be expensive so he’ll have to go, or another player like Boeser. Just because Benning was impatient and diddn’t trust his prospects or the upcoming drafts to deliver cheap ETC contracts when the window start. 

I would have let our aging contracts play out and then sign a 10 mill rhd instead. 

Our real window starts in a few years or when Petey is transformed into what Benning and Green wants. 

He got the defence man, he wanted, and had been after for at least a year + Garland who is the best player on the team just now together with Miller (the one you mentioned) and Motte... So Basically two of our best players came from trading two first round picks.

I agree we need ETC's to some extend like Podz and Hogs, But the need had not been this huge, had both Brock and Petey not forgetten all about shooting the puck...the things that made them stars from the word go.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

We have several ELC contracts already. Höglander, Podkolzin and next year Klimovich. 

Which $10 million RHD was Benning going to sign next summer?  I don’t see any that are on the market. 

As far as the trades go, getting Miller for a 1st round pick was grand theft robbery. Getting Garland and OEL for basically Dylan Guenther and a cap dump was also highway robbery. 

People complain about Benning’s trading history which isn’t great, but those 2 trades are 2 of the best in Canucks history. Miller, Garland and OEL are 3 of our best players right now. They are not the reason why we are a bottom feeder team. Petey and Brock are the main reason why we suck at the moment. As well as the fact we don’t have a legit right shot 4C and a 3rd pairing LHD which is screwing up our penalty kill. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Mission critical is getting a President of Hockey Operations. Somebody from outside the org who can do an assessment and then change what is necessary. 

We don’t need to hire a President of Hockey Operations in order to fix the penalty kill and to get Petey and Brock going, which is around 90% of the problem right now. 

17 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I was  pleased with the video of them heading into the room, very businesslike and serious. I kind expected a lot of smiles and a little bit of  celebration but not so. You can tell that they know they have a lot of work to do.

Honestly I thought it was too serious. This is why energy guys and good room guys are so valued on NHL teams, to pump up the boys after wins like this. Sure, you don't want to get too high on your wins, but you need to build energy off them and keep the game fun as well. It's a bit too tight of a group at the moment and you can see it on some of their faces in guys like Petey (who clearly is having lack of confidence this season). 

I wonder who the guy is in the locker room to break them out of the funk. Guys like Sutter were pretty good for that. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Perfectly put...

Only thing is the LHD that bugs me... I understand Greens frustrations (and probably the players too) seeing a prospect that so much time has been invested in, laying flat on the ice like some hippie at Woodstock... What pissed me off from the word go, was their insistence to play Rathbone at 3rd pairing LHD, knowing fully well that QH needs some sort of sheltering, which to me suggested we would be short of a proper 3rd paring that could PK... 

Like Rathbone as a prospect, but it was always going to be him or QH that would run our PP, as both as 'small' and not really suited to lay PK...not yet at least. Thus, I felt he should have kept OJ, or at least endured we had a different option for that position.

This mocking about not really being ablate cover LHD properly, especially with defence in mind has been a massive reason in our PK being, what it is... That together with Gadjovich is my main peeves with Greene. It really bugged me big time, and still does.

Benning needs to trade Rathbone for a proper 3rd pairing LHD. Rathbone isn’t going to make this team as long as Hughes and OEL are around. We need more truculence on the back end and someone who can kill penalties. We also need a proper right hand 4C. Rathbone and someone like DiPietro should be the trade bait to get those assets. 

And if Boeser continues his poor form then he should be the guy we trade to acquire those assets and maybe a 1st round pick as well. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Honestly I thought it was too serious. This is why energy guys and good room guys are so valued on NHL teams, to pump up the boys after wins like this. Sure, you don't want to get too high on your wins, but you need to build energy off them and keep the game fun as well. It's a bit too tight of a group at the moment and you can see it on some of their faces in guys like Petey (who clearly is having lack of confidence this season). 

I wonder who the guy is in the locker room to break them out of the funk. Guys like Sutter were pretty good for that. 

Think thats whats been missing slightly... The vets of the team takes the flak away from the youngsters, and let them learn how to fly under their protective wings... 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Think thats whats been missing slightly... The vets of the team takes the flak away from the youngsters, and let them learn how to fly under their protective wings... 

I agree. I think that should be some of the captain's job as well, taking the blows on behalf of your team when you can. Sometimes coaches or players will even stir up intentional non-real controversy for the media to direct the media to other areas other than things like poor performances. Tortorella was good at that actually (not when he was here, but on different teams) where he would say something fiery to take the heat off of some of his guys to protect them. 

That's why I said it originally during the off-season discussions that the agent managing Quinn and Petey was an absolute nimrod for allowing these guys who were fan favourites to become a bit soured with the market by delaying negotiations to make dollar. In a market like ours, you gotta be aware of how the media can affect players and adjust accordingly to it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes it is.   And the irony in that is, all the team needs right now is for them to find their game again and we might make the playoffs despite the terrible record we have now.    TG gets so much vitriol on this site a small portion of that is understandable.    Letting Gadj go that's about it.   Maybe OJ too but let's be real here - this kid made fun of the gym when he was drafted, and it's the gym that still is his issue.  

ok

2 hours ago, CJ44 said:

This roster isn't as bad as the record suggests,

What year is this

38 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I agree. I think that should be some of the captain's job as well, taking the blows on behalf of your team when you can. Sometimes coaches or players will even stir up intentional non-real controversy for the media to direct the media to other areas other than things like poor performances. Tortorella was good at that actually (not when he was here, but on different teams) where he would say something fiery to take the heat off of some of his guys to protect them. 

That's why I said it originally during the off-season discussions that the agent managing Quinn and Petey was an absolute nimrod for allowing these guys who were fan favourites to become a bit soured with the market by delaying negotiations to make dollar. In a market like ours, you gotta be aware of how the media can affect players and adjust accordingly to it. 

A real master in doing that was Alex Ferguson at Utd and Aberdeen before that...

He always created a siege mentality within the clubs... nobody like use, and we only have ourselves and our fans. Kill or be killed attitude...

Every time Aberdeen or in particular Utd had a poor run of form, he would pick a fight with certain sections of the press, or opposition managers etc...

It was incredible, how amazing he was in steering the focus away from his own teams failings and create a new subject that he could control... hilarious really, to see how they bid hook, sink and liner.... 

But yes this shielded the players, the young ones in particular from all the criticism... I can be really hard for young person to face the wrath of fans, when it doesn't go according to plan....

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1