The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Ottawa Senators | Dec. 01, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

57 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Lets just imagine us drafting at those actual positions or having oilers luck in lottery wins.

Go through those seasons and see who we'd have gotten at the 1st 2nd or 3rd spot or our respective draft positions.

Pretty crazy really what this team would look like

Thing is, we still walked away with two top-3 talents in EP & QH. 

Top-end talent hasn't really been the issue. Neither has goaltending. Those are the 2 main problems that sewer other teams. It's just literally EVERYTHING ELSE that's a problem. Just get an even average GM who can manage the cap and fill the secondary and depth roles with complimentary players, and we could have something here in no time at all. But Benning/Weisbrod just keep F-ing it up, year in, year out.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Lol

FB_IMG_1638483898442.jpg

I saw this on Twitter but it ticked me off.

No one I know is reacting like this....and the post game "celebration" of the guys heading to the room after the win last night certainly doesn't reflect this.

This is what Toronto does every year.....wonder if it's from one of their brillianaires.  

Let them have their chuckles, for now.  We all know how it ends come playoff time.

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

OK, if we put our selfish reasons aside (wanting the team to be in the playoffs/do well long term rather than just in there here and now), both of these scenarios could have a positive or negative impact:

1.  The team starting to win and playing better hockey + status quo re coaching/management personnel

2.  The team continuing to struggle + coaching/management changes

We have no guarantees that changes in personnel will change the course of things.  Maybe over time, but it's unlikely it would be an immediate turnaround.  Teams do tend to perform well when a change is made (from what I've observed), but it isn't always long term.  It's sometimes just a spark that happens then fizzles out.

So it's something we hope for (if a coaching change happens) and it hasn't been tried yet so it seems like the next logical step.  However, it takes a toll on the players to lose in order to hit bottom and a change to be made.  Not only does it mean they continue to struggle and that results in their mental game becoming an issue, but they then have to adjust and learn new strategies/systems under new staff.  So the idea that things will instantly turn around is the glass half full but it could go the other way.  The players are obviously growing tired of it all and I feel that #1, for now at least, is in the team's best interest so that's what I'm hoping for.

I'm ok if changes are made...things certainly suggest that could be part of the issue and a necessary solution.  But the way some talk about it as if it's a cure all is what I'm referring to....we just don't know if that would be the key to success.  Be careful what you wish for.

It's ok to want the team to do well as some of us are showing through the past 2 games....the players are the most valuable assets here and them getting beat up night in and out isn't the best environment for them to grow and bond in.  I feel that this team NEEDS some wins to even begin to regroup and then, possibly, coaching and or other changes can be brought about.  But an abrupt uprooting to try to fix things seems very disruptive to me at a time that's already been chaotic and challenging.  This team likely just needs to find a way within themselves, first.  To settle in as it has been a crazy year or two...hasn't been the best environment to do so.

If new coaching staff is brought in I certainly won't complain....I just won't hold my breath for things to do an abrupt turnaround.

Well Said Deb
I have never been a fan of Green so won't be sad to see him go...and Benning well he has had his shot as well, he may well have been a victim of Aquaman's win now strategy but he accepted that task...Trevor Linden was right all along

as for this team...well...if beating the 2 teams that are in worst shape to them makes them feel better and start bonding...all the power to them....personally the season is write off, and they should be happy to play .500 hockey from here on...but definitely agree with you on the players finding some form and balance and hopefully getting the most out of any changes that will hopefully be coming

• Cheers 3

27 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I saw this on Twitter but it ticked me off.

No one I know is reacting like this....and the post game "celebration" of the guys heading to the room after the win last night certainly doesn't reflect this.

This is what Toronto does every year.....wonder if it's from one of their brillianaires.  

Let them have their chuckles, for now.  We all know how it ends come playoff time.

Toronto makes me laugh knowing they'll be losing matthews in a short minute

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I’m going to jump in here. This post probably is not going to go over well with anyone on any side so feel free to downvote away. I want to say it anyways.

There are some changes that have happened in our society over the decades. I remember in high school saying anything bad or negative or that I disliked was gay. Literally all my classmates and friends said it in daily conversation for a long time, even the gay/lgbt ones did so! Then we decided that using the word gay as a negative framing wasn’t needed and caused harm to the lgbt community, so we stopped saying it. It wasn’t intentional homophobia, it was just a part of our growing up culture and it was hard to stop doing it.

I don’t think you’re a sexist person. You likely have daughters, granddaughters and/or nieces whom you care deeply about and want the best in life for. There was a generation prior to the “that’s so gay” negative framing one that would frame weakness as being girls/girly. It was pretty much used every day in our culture and communities for many decades. Only recently have we started to look at what we’re saying and seeing if we can do better then what we have said in the past.

I’m also positive you’d agree with me that women are capable of doing any job men can do. When you use that type of framing comparing weakness to being a girl it’s just something we as a society have decided to try to move on from. It hurts the image of what people think of women and creates obstacles to their futures. It’s not intentional, it’s just something that was said before and is a hard habit to break. I’m not going to police what you say, continue using this type of phrasing if you feel it necessary, but I will ask a question for you to ponder this one time if you don’t mind.

Think of the important girls/women in your life. How would you feel if someone called them weak or told them they couldn’t do x because they’re a girl? What if they were passed over for a job because of their gender? What if they wanted to be a welder or iron worker or police officer and someone told them they couldn’t because they’re female, I’d imagine you’d be upset right? If not then ignore this post completely. If so though I ask you to consider trying to use other comparisons for weakness in the future like McWhiner or the Maple Laffs (doesn’t have to be these, they just popped into my head when thinking of weakness hehe) that don’t do unintentional harm to women.

Regardless I appreciate you taking the time to read and/or respond if you choose to do so. There’s a lot of yelling and accusations when it comes to sensitive issues that people may not agree on, so I prefer dialogue to that. Hope your night is well after a much needed Canucks win!

you fell for it hey? yeah he's good.. if you hadn't of then you'd have just realized it had zero to do with gender at all..  my kid (boy) watches that show on drags (as they refer to themselves as "drags" so I'm not being derogitory and my daughter is bi.. do I care? certain not! 

So yes you actually did fall for the troll, people make their choices and who am I to judge or care? 

WHAT this is, is about a hater who has nothing better to do. we have had interactions before and my answer was and still is, don't like the way the team is, there's other teams to cheer for out there.. 

This fire Benning has been nothing short of embarrassing especially since the majority of fans if asked.. today if it's fire or extend JB, most of us would say extend... and do haters hate that? sure... and I'm not against opinions since everyone has one about something but this is getting old.. way old... 

BUT at the end of the day you just got trolled LARGE...  sexist? me? omg lmao! not likely.. :P

• Haha 1

Im stuck on whether the Canucks have found their young core moving forward.

I think you can make the case that QH, VP, NH are core young pieces.  Im willing to be more patient with EP given hes a C.

I think you move on from BB. I also think BH and JT should be moved given their age.  

From those 3 I think you gotta get yourself the assets to require a young C and RD. 

And whoever is in charge of those changes Ill keep an open mind with.  

All this barring some incredible miracle run

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, -DLC- said:

OK, if we put our selfish reasons aside (wanting the team to be in the playoffs/do well long term rather than just in there here and now), both of these scenarios could have a positive or negative impact:

1.  The team starting to win and playing better hockey + status quo re coaching/management personnel

2.  The team continuing to struggle + coaching/management changes

We have no guarantees that changes in personnel will change the course of things.  Maybe over time, but it's unlikely it would be an immediate turnaround.  Teams do tend to perform well when a change is made (from what I've observed), but it isn't always long term.  It's sometimes just a spark that happens then fizzles out.

So it's something we hope for (if a coaching change happens) and it hasn't been tried yet so it seems like the next logical step.  However, it takes a toll on the players to lose in order to hit bottom and a change to be made.  Not only does it mean they continue to struggle and that results in their mental game becoming an issue, but they then have to adjust and learn new strategies/systems under new staff.  So the idea that things will instantly turn around is the glass half full but it could go the other way.  The players are obviously growing tired of it all and I feel that #1, for now at least, is in the team's best interest so that's what I'm hoping for.

I'm ok if changes are made...things certainly suggest that could be part of the issue and a necessary solution.  But the way some talk about it as if it's a cure all is what I'm referring to....we just don't know if that would be the key to success.  Be careful what you wish for.

It's ok to want the team to do well as some of us are showing through the past 2 games....the players are the most valuable assets here and them getting beat up night in and out isn't the best environment for them to grow and bond in.  I feel that this team NEEDS some wins to even begin to regroup and then, possibly, coaching and or other changes can be brought about.  But an abrupt uprooting to try to fix things seems very disruptive to me at a time that's already been chaotic and challenging.  This team likely just needs to find a way within themselves, first.  To settle in as it has been a crazy year or two...hasn't been the best environment to do so.

If new coaching staff is brought in I certainly won't complain....I just won't hold my breath for things to do an abrupt turnaround.

Hey Deb, who are you actually speaking to here?

I don't think its me, maybe you are talking to some 12 year olds , I was 12 when I thought Bobby Lalonde was the next Yvon Cournoyer but since then I have learned not to expect that much from any Canuck.

Instant turn around/ abrupt  maybe you have been reading different posters than me, but I haven't read any posts that sound like people expect instant results. A solid plan would be nice though.

no guarantees How do you get up in the morning? There are no guarantees in life. You , me or anybody could be hit by a car tomorrow, there are no guarantees

it takes a toll on the players to lose in order to hit bottom and a change to be made. Its been taking a toll for a long time, why do you think Petey said what he said in the summer? Its taking a toll because ownership is taking too long to make changes.

have to adjust and learn new strategies/systems under new staff. If this made sense then no player would ever flourish with a new team, but they do when they are put in a positive situation.  The current situation has gone long past being not positive, its been left to get depressing.

possibly, coaching and or other changes I guess this goes back to you worrying there are no guarantees,. because, sure Aqua could hire another rookie GM and rookie coach, there are no guarantees that he won't, but if you look at Calgary, Edmonton and FLA you see teams playing much better than they were before the coaching changes.  Again, no guarantees, but if you are going to believe in anything, you need to at least hope the Owner  makes the right choice the next time. Otherwise you may as well just stay in bed with the blinds pulled shut.

21 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hey, it's okay to enjoy a win.  

Don't worry, you'll have the other 364 days of the year for negative takes ;) 

What I have been pointing out for the last two years is what is now obvious to anyone who has a brain.

That the coaching of this team is severely lacking... and this group of players SHOULD be doing a lot better.

I want this team to win a Cup, but I am not deluded enough to think sticking with the current losing group behind the bench is gonna do it.

I was on the Green train when he was hired, and I supported him for the first 3 years he was here.  But enough is enough.

Don't reward failure.

• Huggy Bear 1

35 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Charming young couple. Never been to Russia, but looks to me like those people have properly sorted values & priorities. Mighty admirable in such a time.

Wish these two health, happiness & a beautiful family.

It was a teenage wedding and the old folks wished 'em well

You could see the Pierre truly loved the mademoiselle

Chuck Berry-You Never Can Tell-1964 - Bing video

the thing about Chuck Berry is he was married for 69 years up until his death

the Pods should be so lucky

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1