The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Playoffs? [DISCUSSION]

Rate this topic

PunjabiCanucks

52 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

He’s a troll from HFCanucks who is basically only here to tell Benning supporters that “they told us so” (with regards to the Canucks falling this season).  The truly funny thing is that outside of our PK, they got every single reason wrong as to why we would struggle this season.  Respond to humor him but take what he says with a massive grain of salt.  Him, @AV.and @JohnTavares are only here to start trouble.

I joined the board in 2006.  You probably weren't even alive yet.

Go do your homework bud. Mommy's calling.

• Wat 1

Yeah, no, playoffs ain't happening this season. How many times throughout our history have we run the table like that? Has it ever happened?

I'm excited about Boudreau and I think the team will be better, but no, they ain't going on a Blues like tear. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Yeah, no, playoffs ain't happening this season. How many times throughout our history have we run the table like that? Has it ever happened?

I'm excited about Boudreau and I think the team will be better, but no, they ain't going on a Blues like tear. 

Win or don't.  There is no try :)

I'll support em if we loose and pretend to be happy about a good prospect. 

Or cheer when they win and make it exciting (most fans will talk about "playing ourself out of the draft lottery again" but i believe a culture of winning is just as important.   

• Huggy Bear 1

16 minutes ago, CoquitlamDave said:

Win or don't.  There is no try :)

I'll support em if we loose and pretend to be happy about a good prospect. 

Or cheer when they win and make it exciting (most fans will talk about "playing ourself out of the draft lottery again" but i believe a culture of winning is just as important.   

I figure they'll give it their best effort, but they'll unsurprisingly come up short. Hole's too deep at this point, if we'd had a different coaching staff to begin the season we probably could have made it. Or at least been in the mix. 

What'll be will be, but a top prospect certainly wouldn't hurt. As for playing ourselves out of the lottery, that's silly, we could finish last and we'd still drop as much as possible. This organization doesn't win lotteries. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Wow look at all these haters in this thread. So negative.

Not negative, just realistic. The first sentence in the OP basically starts with "I know we only won 1 game". Yet somehow we are talking playoffs? there are 31 other teams that have also won at least 1 game and given our record we have less chance of making the playoffs than 28 of them. 

As someone else said, lets get to .500 then we can start talking about playoff chances. jeepers people

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I rather cheer on my team than cheer against my fellow fans.

With respect, that really remains to be seen.  Even the other day, you mentioned that “to the victor goes the spoils”.......implying that you were somehow “victorious” because you predicted that the Canucks would fail.  You felt compelled to say “I told you so” to those that dared to support both Benning and the Canucks.  With all due respect, your behavior heavily infers that you would rather cheer against your fellow fans than cheer on your team.  In this respect, you are absolutely no different than HFCanucks, Thomas Drance, JD Burke, and any other members of our toxic media and their minions (HFCanucks). 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Not negative, just realistic. The first sentence in the OP basically starts with "I know we only won 1 game". Yet somehow we are talking playoffs? there are 31 other teams that have also won at least 1 game and given our record we have less chance of making the playoffs than 28 of them. 

As someone else said, lets get to .500 then we can start talking about playoff chances. jeepers people

With respect to the OP, we’ve won 3 of our last 4 games.

8 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

With respect to the OP, we’ve won 3 of our last 4 games.

Sure, but when you consider the context we beat two of the very few teams lower than us in the standings and won during our new coach's debut. Wins? Yes. Positive? Yes. Impressive? Not when you consider the context. 

3/4 ain't cut and dry.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, JohnTavares said:

I joined the board in 2006.  You probably weren't even alive yet.

Go do your homework bud. Mommy's calling.

So.....why did you choose to use “JohnTavares” as your handle nick as a self proclaimed Canucks fan?  Please explain yourself. 15 year olds like myself am interested to hear your explanation.

Edited by Patel Bure

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, but when you consider the context we beat two of the very few teams lower than us in the standings and won during our new coach's debut. Wins? Yes. Positive? Yes. Impressive? Not when you consider the context. 

3/4 ain't cut and dry.

You can only play the teams in front of you. 3 of 4 is still 3 of 4.  The Kings are also a middle of the road team and we saw a lot of positives from last night.  Yes it’s *way* too early to be talking about the playoffs, but Boudreau’s plan of “winning” each week also made a lot of sense.  Lots of short term goals and then the big picture can shape up.  

Lol...knew someone would start a thread about this....IMHO...they won't make the playoffs ....Brucey is not a miracle worker...he might be able to bring them into respectability...playing .500 hockey...but that also means losing out on another top 5 draft pick....after all this is another "rebuild" .....:P

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

You can only play the teams in front of you. 3 of 4 is still 3 of 4.  The Kings are also a middle of the road team and we saw a lot of positives from last night.  Yes it’s *way* too early to be talking about the playoffs, but Boudreau’s plan of “winning” each week also made a lot of sense.  Lots of short term goals and then the big picture can shape up.  

True, but you can manipulate numbers to all kinds of spins. You could say we're 3/4 in our last four, you could say we're 4-6 in our last ten, you could say we're 5-15 in our last fifteen. And on and on. 

You can only play the teams in front of you, you're right. Boudreau's brought a lot of optimism and positivity, we looked better last night. Right. Things can improve, things can shape up. Right. 

But skepticism is absolutely still warranted, and our missing out is still the most realistic and likely result. One can simultaneously have hope for the future, while still have low expectations for the remainder of the season. A lot of folks who veer along that way of thinking can be deemed "negative", and maybe some are, but I don't think it's so cut and try. Not that I'm lumping you in with any of that of course. Some folks get off on being right about things always being $&!#, but there are also a lot of folks who'd happily be wrong if things exceed expectations. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

To be fair a lot of users have been around longer than their account says. 

Many around here have had multiple accounts 

If you want to talk old school, I’ve been around since the rival.com days of 2000.  Was also a part of the now defunct Canuckscentral.com

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

True, but you can manipulate numbers to all kinds of spins. You could say we're 3/4 in our last four, you could say we're 4-6 in our last ten, you could say we're 5-15 in our last fifteen. And on and on. 

You can only play the teams in front of you, you're right. Boudreau's brought a lot of optimism and positivity, we looked better last night. Right. Things can improve, things can shape up. Right. 

But skepticism is absolutely still warranted, and our missing out is still the most realistic and likely result. One can simultaneously have hope for the future, while still have low expectations for the remainder of the season. A lot of folks who veer along that way of thinking can be deemed "negative", and maybe some are, but I don't think it's so cut and try. Not that I'm lumping you in with any of that of course. Some folks get off on being right about things always being $&!#, but there are also a lot of folks who'd happily be wrong if things exceed expectations. 

I hear ya.

When you’ve been struggling and you’re trying to pick yourself off the mat however, you try and build on any positive that’s out there.  So for us, the Canucks should absolutely be trying to draw inspiration from their 3 out of 4 stretch while feeling good about their new style of hockey that they implemented against the Kings.  If they defeat the Bruins in the next game, then they absolutely have a right to start feeling positive about possibly clawing back.

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I hear ya.

When you’ve been struggling and you’re trying to pick yourself off the mat however, you try and build on any positive that’s out there.  So for us, the Canucks should absolutely be trying to draw inspiration from their 3 out of 4 stretch while feeling good about their new style of hockey that they implemented against the Kings.  If they defeat the Bruins in the next game, then they absolutely have a right to start feeling positive about possibly clawing back.

And that is all something I completely agree with. Yeah, odds are we miss the playoffs, but if we can get out of this season with some optimism and all the guys not feeling like crap that's a win at this point. 

Last season was miserable, the guys hated it. This season has been awful to start, but we've still got over half a season to salvage things. 

• Cheers 1