The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Playoffs? [DISCUSSION]

Rate this topic

PunjabiCanucks

45 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

With respect, that really remains to be seen.  Even the other day, you mentioned that “to the victor goes the spoils”.......implying that you were somehow “victorious” because you predicted that the Canucks would fail.  You felt compelled to say “I told you so” to those that dared to support both Benning and the Canucks.  With all due respect, your behavior heavily infers that you would rather cheer against your fellow fans than cheer on your team.  In this respect, you are absolutely no different than HFCanucks, Thomas Drance, JD Burke, and any other members of our toxic media and their minions (HFCanucks). 

You should probably be more gracious in defeat. It's a really bad look my dude.

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, no, playoffs ain't happening this season. How many times throughout our history have we run the table like that? Has it ever happened?

I'm excited about Boudreau and I think the team will be better, but no, they ain't going on a Blues like tear. 

no but they can get better, play with a lot of pride, maybe kick a few teams out of the playoffs too along the way, and we get to pick a RHD this draft. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

no but they can get better, play with a lot of pride, maybe kick a few teams out of the playoffs too along the way, and we get to pick a RHD this draft. 

Here's hoping, from what I've read it's supposed to be a good draft for RD. But yeah, you're right. 

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

With respect, that really remains to be seen.  Even the other day, you mentioned that “to the victor goes the spoils”.......implying that you were somehow “victorious” because you predicted that the Canucks would fail.  You felt compelled to say “I told you so” to those that dared to support both Benning and the Canucks.  With all due respect, your behavior heavily infers that you would rather cheer against your fellow fans than cheer on your team.  In this respect, you are absolutely no different than HFCanucks, Thomas Drance, JD Burke, and any other members of our toxic media and their minions (HFCanucks). 

See, therein lies the problem.  Anybody (which, let's be realistic, was more like everybody in the hockey world at the end of it all) who criticized this regime (and rightfully so) is deemed as "toxic".  Maybe, just maybe, they aren't the ones who need to take a look in the mirror.

What exactly over the past eight years were Canucks fans supposed to be content with?  Drafting in the top 5 constantly (and flubbing some of those picks)?  Winning 25 or so games out of an 82 game season every year?  If you told a fanbase that in an 8 year period, they would be bottom-five for the majority of it but would only have a few players to show for and one flukey playoff run, do you honestly think that fanbase would accept it?

Hell yes do the spoils go to the victors in this.  The ones that had to endure losing and support a team that constantly made itself the joke of the NHL, all the while having to be told that their justified complaints and criticism were unfounded, or that they were secretly Leafs/Flames/Kraken fans, etc.

The toxic ones were never the "haters".  Rather, it was the group of people who tried to silence any criticism and police discussions so as to protect the GM and the rest of management all under this guise of "real fandom" and toxic positivity.

This board has never been more united after cleaning house and here you are trying to do damage control and invalidate those who valiantly stuck by their positions and were proven correct in the end.  Come on now...

• Cheers 1

Play every game like last night or better and we have a chance. Its a verrrry slim one tho. 

Lots of variables too this year. Hows COVID going to affect teams with OMICRON starting to spread. Injuries will affect us and our division rivals. LA, SJ and ANA are form teams but very shallow. They could take a dive if they get hit with injury. Or maybe we lose a few key players and can't sustain it. 

I do think some of the teams towards the top of the div right now are due form slides and maybe we can take advantage of that. 

Ultimately its one good game - lets see where we go, its gonna be a very long shot either way. If we had made the decision when we should which was after the first home stand, or at the latest the away leg where we got shelled we would have had a better shot. At least Benning paid with his job for not making the decision when he should have.

6 hours ago, Fanuck said:

This team should be taking things game by game.  We play a much better team tomorrow that will be rested and just starting a road trip.  Focus on the new systems.  Focus on being successful each shift.  Focus on establishing a solid PP/PK.  Leave the rest for now. 

Yeah. I think the team can't get ahead of themselves. One game at a time only. Focus on Boston. They won last week when we were in their building. Time for some payback. Demko gotta be huge, but the boys gotta play just as well as they did against LA, and they'll be okay. Doesn't mean they'll win, because maybe they'll still lose. But hey, if we're losing 5-4, I don't mind it so much. At least it'll be fun, and there'll be goals. Of course, the best outcome is a win, and goals galore! 

I think it is realistic to get to .500 by the early part of January.  Looking at the schedule and giving Boudreau the benefit of the doubt that he gets players to relax and rebound and play better than they were.

Look.  The clouds have parted and everyone can feel a sense of relief and new possibilities.

But.  First step is get to .500 and then see.

It's a tall order to be this bad first 25 games and then make the playoffs - but I guess we will see.

I'm enjoying the change though and so far I really like Gabby as the new dad for the young guys.

Hope is a great thing.

7 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Now I know we just won 1 game and I know it doesn't mean a whole lot just yet.

Bruce Boudreau mentioned winning 2 of 3 games a week as a positive sign to making it into the playoffs....

In recent history the minimum amount of points needed have ranged from 87 to 97 points, with an average of 92.6 points or a 0.565 point percentage.

----

Currently we have 20 points over 26 games, meaning we need ideally 73 points over the last 56 games. Equivalent to a .652 point percentage or for example 35 - 18 - 3 record

Almost a 2 wins for 1 loss as Bruce mentioned... now is it possible. Ideally we should aim for the higher end, trying to win divisional games as they are 4 point nights and against the Central division incase of a wild card race.

St. Louis Blue's did a complete turn around to make the playoffs and win the cup. Now I'm not saying we win the cup, but are playoffs feasible?

What are your predictions for point percentage for the last 56 games this season.

Currently 9 teams of the 32 have played .652 point percentage hockey over the first 22-26 games. Can we pull it off? Or is to game over?

Personally, as much as I hope and pray unless we improve our PK and PP drastically we miss the playoffs...

Were going to make it imo.  This team is very hungry for that and we have the talent. 

And Demko can and will get hotter towards the end of the year.

Also, other teams can have there slump.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Were going to make it imo.  This team is very hungry for that and we have the talent. 

And Demko can and will get hotter towards the end of the year.

Also, other teams can have there slump.

I noticed it in the players, their demeanor. They seem to have this refreshed energy. Seeing Miller before in the pressers, doom and gloom, but now he's alert and talkative, eyes wide open. I think Boudreau and Walker will have a huge impact.

I'd still like them to trade for a LDman, but I believe they'll win more games than they lose. 

Very doubtful. Had Aqua pulled the trigger a few weeks ago when he should have I might be more inclined to believe a miracle run was possible, but the hole Green left us in is just too deep. Let's just enjoy the ride from this point on and see how far we can get. More than anything, the rest of this season if about assessing what we have and seeing what changes need to be made going forward.

As far as the fanbase is concerned, the "I told you so" stuff is pretty lame. Even as someone that had largely soured on this regime in recent years, it's just crappy fan etiquette to mock those that had a more positive outlook during these last eight years. 

Not only that, but as HF has proven, it makes for poor discussion as well. On HF, where the outlook was obviously much more negative and more in line with the folk here that feel the need to shout their vindication from the rooftops, discussions on possible moves the franchise could make, whether it be trades, signings, picks, etc etc...were always hijacked by the "lol Benning" posts, to the point where pretty much every thread devolved into a crap-on-management circlejerk for likes. Whether or not all of the criticism was justified (in this case is largely was) is irrelevant to the point. It made for bad discussion. Personally, I've enjoyed reading the majority of posts here far more than wading through all of the different ways the folk on HF could think of to say "Benning sucks". It's just boring.

The schedule we've had so far this year has been pretty soft. We haven't had much games against the top ranked teams yet.

which played into the fan frustration. Green, with an improved offensive roster, basically chose to turtle and played not to lose against the likes of Buffalo. Imagine if we played Tampa or Carolina ... how does that translate to confidence for the team.

So playoffs is very unlikely. The team has a bigger hole to climb.

But I'd love to see it.

22 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Now I know we just won 1 game and I know it doesn't mean a whole lot just yet.

Bruce Boudreau mentioned winning 2 of 3 games a week as a positive sign to making it into the playoffs....

In recent history the minimum amount of points needed have ranged from 87 to 97 points, with an average of 92.6 points or a 0.565 point percentage.

----

Currently we have 20 points over 26 games, meaning we need ideally 73 points over the last 56 games. Equivalent to a .652 point percentage or for example 35 - 18 - 3 record

Almost a 2 wins for 1 loss as Bruce mentioned... now is it possible. Ideally we should aim for the higher end, trying to win divisional games as they are 4 point nights and against the Central division incase of a wild card race.

St. Louis Blue's did a complete turn around to make the playoffs and win the cup. Now I'm not saying we win the cup, but are playoffs feasible?

What are your predictions for point percentage for the last 56 games this season.

Currently 9 teams of the 32 have played .652 point percentage hockey over the first 22-26 games. Can we pull it off? Or is to game over?

Personally, as much as I hope and pray unless we improve our PK and PP drastically we miss the playoffs...

Sorry, not keeping up with current events, weren't the Canucks supposed to be tanking for somebody? 

regards,  G.