The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Only 5 Other Countries Join US in Diplomatic Boycott of Beijing 2022 Olympics

DonLever

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not only that, but I don't have any confidence that Canadian athletes will be safe in China.

Just today, a Chinese official made the claim that Kovrig and Spavor "confessed to crimes" before their release. This basically tells me there is no lie they won't tell and no low they won't sink to.....

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/china-envoy-says-kovrig-spavor-confessed-to-crimes-warns-against-rejecting-huawei-1.5702572

of course China would illegally take one of our athletes, there's little doubt. 

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

of course China would illegally take one of our athletes, there's little doubt. 

They'd have to choose carefully, though....

If they took Sid, or McJesus, Canadians would burn everything in sight with the Huawei logo....if they took Marchand, nobody would care except his family and a few Bruins fans....

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The IOC needs more athletes with moral integrity like Drew Nielson.

Hide contents

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/2-time-olympic-snowboarder-calls-for-team-canada-boycott-of-beijing-2022-1.6287991

"But now a decade into retirement"

Easy to say when you're in retirement.  More difficult when you're actively competiting, training and beat out your competitiors the last 4 years for the 10 minutes of fame you're gunning for.  

4 hours ago, Russ said:

"But now a decade into retirement"

Easy to say when you're in retirement.  More difficult when you're actively competiting, training and beat out your competitiors the last 4 years for the 10 minutes of fame you're gunning for.  

doesn't mean he's wrong though. He's also not in control of where the IOC decides to host the games.

Maye if more former athletes start to speak out there will be more support for a full boycott.

I wonder if Trudeau will re-consider a full boycott now that men's hockey won't be happening? That would have been the part where most people would be upset about us not being there.

Likely the US will have to lead on this though, can't see this gov't taking the lead unless there's another kidnapping  from the CCP on the horizon.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I wonder if Trudeau will re-consider a full boycott now that men's hockey won't be happening? That would have been the part where most people would be upset about us not being there.

Likely the US will have to lead on this though, can't see this gov't taking the lead unless there's another kidnapping  from the CCP on the horizon.

Where are you getting this from, Jimmy? I don't see anything on NHL.com, SNET or TSN....:unsure:

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Where are you getting this from, Jimmy? I don't see anything on NHL.com, SNET or TSN....:unsure:

NHL guys won’t be going, but the hockey tournament will still happen, right?  We will send a team still, and so will other countries, just no NHL players.  Same as last games.  

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

NHL guys won’t be going, but the hockey tournament will still happen, right?  We will send a team still, and so will other countries, just no NHL players.  Same as last games.  

I was asking Jimmy for a source on this. I can't find one....:unsure:

8 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sure, but it still begs the question: is one's attempt at personal achievement really so important that in its pursuit, one's stated values or one's stated moral compass can be set aside?  

The inconsistency of one's actions with the values they claim to support or uphold fundamentally demonstrates one's hypocrisy and lack of integrity.  The IOC claims to set politics aside for competition, but their actions show they are hardly apolitical, and in fact are major enablers and legitimizers of authoritarian regimes and human rights attackers.  I would contend that athletes who choose not to call out the IOC for its inconsistency and lack of integrity are complicit in the hypocrisy played out on the world stage, and themselves lack integrity.

But did western democracies even give IOC a choice? Remember the only countries that stayed in the bid for these games is China and Kazakhstan, but was a no brainer to choose China in that circumstance. 

Take a look in the mirror before just throwing dirt at the IOC. The west have some blame in this as well. Don't complain if you don't even participate. 

7 hours ago, JM_ said:

Just because people here care about hockey above everything else doesn't mean no nhl hockey equals to I don't give a f**k about other sports. Heck the Olympics is more important to those in non league sports as those athletes do not make ridiculous money like nhl players. Also it so easy for us to say boycott it for morale reasons when neither you or me trained our whole life for this moment.

Full boycott does nothing of value or substance other than stroking some morale ego. If you want to hurt the CCP, go with crippling economic sanctions. Break their economy and change will come real quick. 

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Just because people here care about hockey above everything else doesn't mean no nhl hockey equals to I don't give a f**k about other sports. Heck the Olympics is more important to those in non league sports as those athletes do not make ridiculous money like nhl players. Also it so easy for us to say boycott it for morale reasons when neither you or me trained our whole life for this moment.

Full boycott does nothing of value or substance other than stroking some morale ego. If you want to hurt the CCP, go with crippling economic sanctions. Break their economy and change will come real quick. 

I hear what you are saying. However, I know many people that have trained as hard and for longer than many Olympic athletes. There are many Olympians that are teenagers, so when I hear 'trained their whole life' it doesn't resonate as much. They are the best at that time, in their peak window. 

I know a guy that won his division at the national Karate championships at 46.... now that is a lifetime achievement. 

Again, not discrediting your perspective but this is just 'the games', it's just sports made up of relatively young people. 

It might be time for the world to put a check on China. Yes economic pressure as you say might be the best but a full boycott should embarrass them and send a message that the majority of the world needs them to start acting more appropriate, 

Why not both? Stop buying stuff from China and boycott the games.

Boycott it all. 

19 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I'm one of those that like to watch all of the other sports. But its undeniably easier for Trudeau to choose a full boycott if he's not pissing off millions of people that just care about hockey gold.

Its not just about an ego stroke. The CCP has a massive chip on its shoulder and they would hate the world spoiling their party, no way to save face at all.

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I hear what you are saying. However, I know many people that have trained as hard and for longer than many Olympic athletes. There are many Olympians that are teenagers, so when I hear 'trained their whole life' it doesn't resonate as much. They are the best at that time, in their peak window. 

I know a guy that won his division at the national Karate championships at 46.... now that is a lifetime achievement. 

Again, not discrediting your perspective but this is just 'the games', it's just sports made up of relatively young people. 

It might be time for the world to put a check on China. Yes economic pressure as you say might be the best but a full boycott should embarrass them and send a message that the majority of the world needs them to start acting more appropriate, 

Why not both? Stop buying stuff from China and boycott the games.

Boycott it all. 

Considering athletes reach their peaks in their teens and early 20s, it is their whole life. Hiw many Olympians do you see in their 40s other than non physical sports like shooting or archery. 

Also good freaking luck boycotting goods from China. Hope you have a deep wallet. This is beyond individual consumers and more up to government and corporations to change their behaviors. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I'm one of those that like to watch all of the other sports. But its undeniably easier for Trudeau to choose a full boycott if he's not pissing off millions of people that just care about hockey gold.

Its not just about an ego stroke. The CCP has a massive chip on its shoulder and they would hate the world spoiling their party, no way to save face at all.

Both of you fail to realize that this idea of losing face really does not apply to modern China. Yes they will lose face but instead of changing their ways as you guys like to think, modern china will use it as fuel for nationalism and double down on their current practice, doing exactly the opposite of what you guys desire. 

Also based on history, boycotting games does nothing of substance other than robbing athletes of their moment. 

4 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Considering athletes reach their peaks in their teens and early 20s, it is their whole life. Hiw many Olympians do you see in their 40s other than non physical sports like shooting or archery. 

That's what I was saying

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Also good freaking luck boycotting goods from China. Hope you have a deep wallet. This is beyond individual consumers and more up to government and corporations to change their behaviors. 

Team effort.

The world needs Coach Boudreau.

It can start with our support or non support of things like big sporting exhibitions. Perhaps making a real effort to not buy items from China. Then maybe the corporations take notice. Maybe then our governments do something,  in a real way. 

13 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Both of you fail to realize that this idea of losing face really does not apply to modern China. Yes they will lose face but instead of changing their ways as you guys like to think, modern china will use it as fuel for nationalism and double down on their current practice, doing exactly the opposite of what you guys desire. 

Also based on history, boycotting games does nothing of substance other than robbing athletes of their moment. 

its not about controlling the CCP. Its about taking a stand against their behaviour. I don't want us to passively say what the CCP does is OK.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its not about controlling the CCP. Its about taking a stand against their behaviour. I don't want us to passively say what the CCP does is OK.

Exactly. If we just look the other way and act as if they weren't committing genocide, (to say nothing of kidnapping two of our citizens) and go to the Olympics as if all is well, it sends the message that we're okay with those actions....

It would suck for those athletes who's life revolves around four years of training, just to compete in the games, but as has already been stated, doing the right thing is often hard...

I also disagree with the opinion that it wouldn't cause the CCP to lose face, just as I disagree that they wouldn't care. Just look at the angry reactions we already see for any slight, real or perceived.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Exactly. If we just look the other way and act as if they weren't committing genocide, (to say nothing of kidnapping two of our citizens) and go to the Olympics as if all is well, it sends the message that we're okay with those actions....

It would suck for those athletes who's life revolves around four years of training, just to compete in the games, but as has already been stated, doing the right thing is often hard...

I also disagree with the opinion that it wouldn't cause the CCP to lose face, just as I disagree that they wouldn't care. Just look at the angry reactions we already see for any slight, real or perceived.

it may also generate some discussion among Chinese citizens as to what they really want. Sure many wont care and go uber-national, but they are heading that way anyway. Some do care about whats going on but don't really have the power to do anything about it.