The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Canucks fire assistant GM Chris Gear and analytics director Jonathan Wall

Rate this topic

Dazzle

1 minute ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

He doesn't like the smell of this "dope city"

Lol, he doesn't like the best dope in the world.

He doesn't like the best hockey in the world.

Have fun not realizing your potential and playing second tier hockey in Russia the rest of your life Nikita. This guy is a huge (no pun intended) chump in my opinion. A poor man's Hal Gill. Really poor haha.

16 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Lol, he doesn't like the best dope in the world.

He doesn't like the best hockey in the world.

Have fun not realizing your potential and playing second tier hockey in Russia the rest of your life Nikita. This guy is a huge (no pun intended) chump in my opinion. A poor man's Hal Gill. Really poor haha.

Some guys never want to leave mother Russia.

His parents are probably the Russian equivalent to Trump supporters. 

Poor (big) kid never had a chance...

• Wat 3

11 hours ago, Drakrami said:

This comment is so ridiculous it is not funny. You dont realize that as soon as Gillis took over, we went from 5th place in the division and dominated to become 1st place in the division for 5 consecutive years? We were a powerhouse, 1 win from a Stanley Cup. As soon as Benning takes over, we drop back to 6th/7th in the division each year. You can try to call it luck or whatever, reality and results speaks for itself. Even luck is a part of being sucessful. 

I am not a Gillis fan (in fact, I dont want him back as GM), but the ungratefulness to a GM who led us during the most successful era in this franchise is just classless. 

What Gillis did for Canucks fans during the cup run and build up was amazing. The first and only time we've been the bonafide class of the league. However one should remember the core was completely built by those before him and it was the first time in history that the Canucks spent huge money and spent to the cap. In addition his drafting was the worst in history and his no trade clauses and deer in the headlights no game plan for his last years absolutely crippled this country club team for years to come.

In the end I thank him for providing the most excitement Canucks fans have had since 1994, but I wouldn't want that racoon eyed sweating pig anywhere near my team ever again. :P

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Yup. It really bugs me as an athlete. You often see lifelong players who just don't have the skill in the end, or more importantly the opportunity is lacking and they simply fade into obscurity. Here you have a marginally skilled guy who was gifted a starting job in the NHL and just threw it away. Too each there own but I find that terribly sad. This guy acts like a teenager having growing pains living away from home for the first time. Suck it up sunshine. Like living in beautiful Vancouver as a multi millionaire is some kind of hardship or something. Regardless he was barely NHL quality when he got here and that ship has long since sailed.

• Wat 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

42 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He is making way more money by not having to live in Vancouver. Which has one of the worst housing inflations in the world.

Probably. I'm sure he could have managed to squeak by though. Apparently the offer from Benning was quite generous and by this point in time or next contract he would be making far more money. It just shows hockey is low on his priority list and he is not confident in his abilities. Well neither am I. This guy is a 6/7 dman at best anyway and has aged out.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/04/23/whos-to-blame-for-nikita-tryamkin-leaving-the-canucks/

Edited by Gawdzukes

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Tryamkin is a loser. Full blame for what, drafting him. Worth a shot for a huge third rounder. The kid has zero drive. He doesn't even want to play in the NHL.

Making more money than he would in the NHL playing in his home country close to family and friends..

He doesn't have to travel to other side of world and live in a country with different culture different language and outright hostility towards his country Russia due to internal American politics.. 

I'd rather stay home close to my loved ones and make more money at the same time too.. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Never had a chance ? Like choosing where he wants to live and play ? Are Jagr , Kovalchuk and Datsyuk hicks too because they wanted to play in their home country ?

It's hilarious that so many north Americans think that under every Russian is an American begging to get out. And if not , there's something wrong with them.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Probably. I'm sure he could have managed to squeak by though. Apparently the offer from Benning was quite generous and by this point in time or next contract he would be making far more money. It just shows hockey is low on his priority list and he is not confident in his abilities. Well neither am I. This guy is a 6/7 dman at best anyway and has aged out.

Benning didn't want to pay any more than the going rate for his equivalents in the NHL. We could have signed him for 3 to 500,000 more than the going rate to get him. But Benning didn't want to do that. 

A lot of Russians would rather play in the KHL than the NHL if they are going to be on the 4th line or bottom pairing. What's so great about being on a 4th line , playing with AHL scrubs in the NHL ? 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

13 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Making more money than he would in the NHL playing in his home country close to family and friends..

He doesn't have to travel to other side of world and live in a country with different culture different language and outright hostility towards his country Russia due to internal American politics.. 

I'd rather stay home close to my loved ones and make more money at the same time too.. 

Let's hope Podkolzin doesn't read this :ph34r:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Being the best you can be and achieving the highest level at something you've dedicated your whole life to isn't something you would pursue because you're homesick? I call it growing up but okay that's fine you have every right to your opinion. As a lifelong athlete I personally find it extremely weak and pathetic, especially since he turned down millions. It's not like he would have been living on the streets here. But to each there own. I'm just glad he's no longer a Canuck. I want players with more drive, and determination than that.

• Wat 2

11 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Benning didn't want to pay any more than the going rate for his equivalents in the NHL. We could have signed him for 3 to 500,000 more than the going rate to get him. But Benning didn't want to do that. 

A lot of Russians would rather play in the KHL than the NHL if they are going to be on the 4th line or bottom pairing. What's so great about being on a 4th line , playing with AHL scrubs in the NHL ? 

I agree, if you have a piss poor attitude (no compete) like that then stay home ... please and thanks lol. I also wouldn't overpay a giant baby to play on the team either. I'm glad guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin have more character than that.

Edited by Gawdzukes

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Being the best you can be and achieving the highest level at something you've dedicated your whole life to isn't something you would pursue because you're homesick? I call it growing up but okay that's fine you have every right to your opinion. As a lifelong athlete I personally find it extremely weak and pathetic, especially since he turned down millions. It's not like he would have been living on the streets here. But to each there own. I'm just glad he's no longer a Canuck. I want players with more drive, and determination than that.

Salty. 

You will never be able to imagine the situation yourself. Imagine the KHL was the highest paying league in the world. And you had the choice of playing a large role on your home team , the Vancouver Canucks. Or you could play a reduced role for Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod. Whoever they are.. 

• Cheers 1

Fully expected this to happen. If I was the new guy in charge I'd probably fire everyone. What they were doing wasn't working, change was asked for by the fan base so change we are getting. Will it be for the best or worst?  Who knows but it is refreshing. Looking forward to seeing who Rutherford throws into these positions.

2 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

Fully expected this to happen. If I was the new guy in charge I'd probably fire everyone. What they were doing wasn't working, change was asked for by the fan base so change we are getting. Will it be for the best or worst?  Who knows but it is refreshing. Looking forward to seeing who Rutherford throws into these positions.

I'm not surprised at the firings as well of Chris Gear and Jonathan Wall. There's never a good time to fire someone, never. And yet there is a chance that JR doesn't actually replace the guys he's just fired. If they are looking to replace both those guys, JR's got a ton of work once he lands here. Can't imagine we'd be bored and have nothing to talk about once he gets to Vancouver. 

Kind of reads to me like these guys pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps and their positions were grandfathered in due to experience: whereas the industry has moved onto folks who specialized on this stuff in university.

If that is the case, then this makes total sense to clean it out and restaff it with learned folks. Shrug. Change is good, the last decade has been a downhill one: those tied to it outa be shown the door. 

3 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Salty. 

You will never be able to imagine the situation yourself. Imagine the KHL was the highest paying league in the world. And you had the choice of playing a large role on your home team , the Vancouver Canucks. Or you could play a reduced role for Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod. Whoever they are.. 

Lol, yes salty to a degree.

I would 100% follow my dream as far as it would take me, collect my millions, become independently rich, and then go back home and continue making money, become even more rich, and finish my career. What normal top notch hockey players do.

What about the excellent Russian, and European players that do come here. Are they all lacking moral character, do they hate their homeland, their families, are they applying for social assistance to pay the rent?

Vesalainen, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Shesterkin, Zibanejad, Georgiev, Klimovich, Teravainen. How come these guys (there are many more) aren't playing at home then?