The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Canucks fire assistant GM Chris Gear and analytics director Jonathan Wall

Rate this topic

Dazzle

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/report-canucks-fire-assistant-gm-chris-gear-and-analytics-director-jonathan-wall-4852677

The two employees had been with the Canucks for 11+ and 20+ years, respectively.
Daniel Wagner
Daniel Wagner
Dec 10, 2021 11:56 AM
  •  
Chris-Gear-scaled Chris Gear in happier times as legal counsel for the Canucks.Jeff Vinnick / Canucks

The Vancouver Canucks are not done making changes to their front office.

Less than a week after letting GM Jim Benning and assistant GM John Weisbrod go — and just one day after hiring new president of hockey operations Jim Rutherford — the Canucks have made further changes. 

As first reported by The Athletic’s Thomas Drance, the Canucks have “dismissed” assistant GM Chris Gear and executive director of hockey operations Jonathan Wall.

Gear had only just recently been promoted to assistant GM in 2020 after nine years of working as legal counsel for Canucks Sports and Entertainment. He was well-regarded for both his work on the legal side of things but also in hockey operations, as he structured contracts and managed the salary cap. 

Wall had been with the team for over 20 years, starting with tasks like watching video — literal video on VHS tapes — and manually tracking scoring chances. Over the course of two decades, his role grew until he was managing the Canucks’ analytics team as the director of hockey operations.

Beyond just analytics, Wall was heavily involved in many other areas of hockey operations, including working with Gear to keep the Canucks under the salary cap given the contracts signed by Benning. 

Both Gear and Wall had done yeoman’s work in recent years with a skeleton crew in hockey operations, filling in gaps beyond their stated responsibilities.

The two dismissals are surprising, particularly the timing. Gear and Wall had both worked under multiple management groups and could have been expected to continue under Rutherford. The team's analytics team, for instance, likely needs to be expanded to match other top teams in the NHL rather than contracted.

More intriguingly, Rutherford isn’t even in Vancouver yet. He isn’t expected to arrive until Sunday, so it’s surprising to see two significant changes made before he arrives and speaks to the existing management team and staff.

Of course, a new president of hockey operations could be expected to bring in his own people for two significant roles — capologist and director of analytics. Still, the Canucks just lost two of their most respected employees in hockey operations.

Why? I don't get why these two are fired. Rutherford is pretty ruthless lol. But I guess these people weren't that good to begin with in the eyes of a VERY well established man.

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While it's always hard to lose a job, this tends to happen when new management takes over. 

Were Gear and Wall vital to the Canucks future?

I'm sure they were given a pretty sweet severance package, so honestly, it's done. 

I liked Wall and Gear, but mostly because I liked that we had someone in their positions, to create some level of balance in hockey ops, under Benning.

JB’s strengths certainly weren’t in analytics/data, negotiating contracts (not saying he was awful, just wasn’t great), and understanding the CBA (most definitely a weak area for Jim).

But were Gear and Wall at the top of their games, respectively, compared to other prominent people around the league?

I’m not too sure. Certainly nothing really stands out where either of them ended up looking like masters of their crafts.

So, hopefully, these dismissals mean that better people are on the way to fill those vacant positions.

Certainly this team would benefit, if those areas become true strengths of the organization, once the replacements are hired.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

23 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sounds like they've been in the business for a long time, but we've sucked for a long time.

It seems harsh but I'm all for a change of our analytics team considering we've never been a strong team analytically. I'm sure these guys will find jobs elsewhere but we really did need to clean out and it's not just the front guys, it's top to bottom.

Agreed with this 100%

Best wishes to both men.

• Cheers 1

Ya, I'm all for this. It just wasn't working and also speaks to a leaning of observation towards the players, rather than making quick moves before there's even a proper brass in place.  

Seems to be that the players are safe for now. I'd love to re-up BB6, just north of 6.

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Iain Hackintyre providing his unsolicited opinion on the matter: More firings by Canucks undermine an unexpectedly upbeat week (sportsnet.ca)

I don't get the "undermining" part. Was imac part of the internal management review team?

Our pro scouting and development hasn't been all that $&!# hot if we're being honest, so maybe thats the reason for Wall?

We also don't know what the restructuring plan is or who JR may have in mind for GM and new AGMs, or why Gear was given the pink slip.

Maybe it was just to clean house of Benning loyalists, we've seen what happens when an organization is split - it wasn't helpful to have Linden and Benning camps among the last group.

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't get the "undermining" part. Was imac part of the internal management review team?

His feewings were hurt.

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Our pro scouting and development hasn't been all that $&!# hot if we're being honest, so maybe thats the reason for Wall?

Exactly. I didn't think many folks would survive the change, seeing as how incoming executives hire their own staff.

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

We also don't know what the restructuring plan is or who JR may have in mind for GM and new AGMs, or why Gear was given the pink slip.

Agreed. Gear may have worn out his welcome, but according to IHack, it undermines the good feelings....

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Maybe it was just to clean house of Benning loyalists, we've seen what happens when an organization is split - it wasn't helpful to have Linden and Benning camps among the last group.

It is what it is. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1