The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Winnipeg Jets at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 10, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Habs are gonna be sellers this year.  Big time.  Edmundson can even play in the top 4 and is still only 28.  Mayfield just turned 29 and is on a cheap contract.  Love his game.  Mayfield and Edmundson immediately become our #1 PK pairing.  Both Montreal and the Islanders need some injection of youth.  We have our 2022 1st round pick, Rathbone, McDonough, Woo, DiPietro.  Those are our top prospects.  Don't want to touch Klimovich, so he's off the table.  Everyone else is available for the right price.

has to be player in player out because of the Canucks cap situation. There is no way to add a player like Edmundson with his 3,5 Mio. $ cap hit given the Canucks current cap situation.

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

has to be player in player out because of the Canucks cap situation. There is no way to add a player like Edmundson with his 3,5 Mio. $ cap hit given the Canucks current cap situation.

Pearson or Hamonic would have to be unloaded to make any deal like that work.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JR gonna wheel and deal. This season is not lost. Two players that come to mind are Joel Edmundson and Scott Mayfield.  Montreal and the Islanders are horrific this year. They are looking at rebuilding, retooling. 

Hughes          Mayfield 

OEL                Myers 

Edmundson   Poolman 

Burroughs      Schenn

Now that is a defence that can take us far into the playoffs. Hoping JR can pull off those deals without mortgaging the future. 

I don't believe the Islanders are looking to move off Mayfield at this time, he is proving valuable to that team and at a great cap number. The Islanders will not retool/rebuild this season, they will try and turn it around and they believe they have the personnel to do it. Time will tell. Montreal however, I can see them looking to obtain futures for roster pieces.

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Habs are gonna be sellers this year.  Big time.  Edmundson can even play in the top 4 and is still only 28.  Mayfield just turned 29 and is on a cheap contract.  Love his game.  Mayfield and Edmundson immediately become our #1 PK pairing.  Both Montreal and the Islanders need some injection of youth.  We have our 2022 1st round pick, Rathbone, McDonough, Woo, DiPietro.  Those are our top prospects.  Don't want to touch Klimovich, so he's off the table.  Everyone else is available for the right price.

Rathbone makes sense, as Hughes kind of makes him expendable. DiPietro wont get a chance to become the starter in Vancouver, so he's expendable too. 

Don't want to move McDonough or Woo - Woo plays the kind of defense-first shutdown role that we badly need, and could end up being Hughes' long term partner. McDonough is a scoring machine, hes got like 13 goals in 18 games right now. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I don't believe the Islanders are looking to move off Mayfield at this time, he is proving valuable to that team and at a great cap number. The Islanders will not retool/rebuild this season, they will try and turn it around and they believe they have the personnel to do it. Time will tell. Montreal however, I can see them looking to obtain futures for roster pieces.

Generally Id agree - doesnt really make sense to give up a cost controlled asset like that. However, NYI doesnt currently spend to the cap, and Mayfields contract will only have 1 more year of the discount.. so it may well make sense for them to move him while they can sell high. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Generally Id agree - doesnt really make sense to give up a cost controlled asset like that. However, NYI doesnt currently spend to the cap, and Mayfields contract will only have 1 more year of the discount.. so it may well make sense for them to move him while they can sell high. 

I just don't believe they are of the mindset to sell anything right now, they still figure they will be in the Playoffs.

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Hamonic has a modified NTC, maybe I am naive but I don't see him getting traded this season after everything he has gone through to this point to be a member of the team.

Only 8 team no trade list.

And what has he been through that he didn’t do to himself? If anything the team would be more willing to trade him after all that drama l.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I just don't believe they are of the mindset to sell anything right now, they still figure they will be in the Playoffs.

Yeah, I mean, they do have games in hand so if they win the next 3, they're not totally out of it. 

Their GF/GA differential though is pretty bad. They badly need some offense. 

Nashville could end up a good trade partner for us too, they've been brilliant defensively but haven't scored as many goals as theyd like. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

And what has he been through that he didn’t do to himself? If anything the team would be more willing to trade him after all that drama l.

I feel fans for the most part felt this was drama, the player had family reasons we do not know anything more than that for why he was unable to be up to speed on vaccination and eligibility to play. I wouldn't say he did this to himself because well again we don't actually know and probably are not going to. So its conjecture at this point.

He does have some control as to where he would be traded sure, i'd never say never and certainly my ears are perked up knowing Rutherford is top dog now but I just don't see him being moved, maybe Juulsen has something to say about that ? but Hamonic is serving a purpose when in the lineup being a righty, adding some physcial presence and shutdown ability while not being a horrible skater or passer.

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah, I mean, they do have games in hand so if they win the next 3, they're not totally out of it. 

Their GF/GA differential though is pretty bad. They badly need some offense. 

Nashville could end up a good trade partner for us too, they've been brilliant defensively but haven't scored as many goals as theyd like. 

I think the Islanders could make a move on defense but that would be to address their lack of dmen who have been able this season to transition and get the puck up ice to their forwards.

8 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Hamonic has a modified NTC, maybe I am naive but I don't see him getting traded this season after everything he has gone through to this point to be a member of the team.

I also think moving Hamonic is likely to just result in a lateral move, unless its for someone who's clearly a top pairing guy. He's clearly better defensively than Poolman, so its probably Poolman that would get dumped if needed. 

Just now, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think the Islanders could make a move on defense but that would be to address their lack of dmen who have been able this season to transition and get the puck up ice to their forwards.

Yup, Ekholm's offensive game has dropped off a lot. 

Myers plays a pretty good transition game tbh. We love to hate on him, but I think that there are some teams like NY and maybe Nashville that'd be interested in him. 

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He's already requested a trade away from the Islanders before.  I understand why he did so, but that's got to be a tough bridge to mend.

27 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

How about:

To NYI: Pearson, Rathbone

To Vancouver: Mayfield, Bellows

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It occurs to me that we could make up a D core that's arguably as good as our current D core with the defensemen we've jettisoned for nothing over the past year and a half.

Edler- Tanev

? - Schmidt

Juolevi- Stetcher

Vs

OEL - Myers

Hughes- Hamonic

Burr- Poolman

Just missing a 2nd pairing LD.

Ollie- traded for Juulsen and Lammikko

Schmidt- traded for a 3rd round pick

• Upvote 1