The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | Dec. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Being cool with mediocrity is less attractive than being critical of underperforming all stars. 

I had patience for the first 15 games.   

I don't think anyone's cool with mediocrity.

But it's ok...give up on Petey.  You won't convince me to.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

It kinda reminds me of Nylander when he held out on TO...he even dresses like him...needless to say Nylander did come around. He leveled off at around 60 pts a year pace. Which isn't bad but not what anyone was expecting. Difference here is Petey is a center and doesn't play with Matthews. But we have seen it lots where young guys hold out and get paid, then perform terribly during that season, i'm guessing because the pressure is now on them to produce at the rate they are getting paid...Nylander settled in and is a good player now, and I think the same will happen with Petey. I bet next season he comes in renewed and gets back to the point production he is used to. 

Nylander is a good comparison:  hopefully it comes around like that for Pettersson.  There are a lot of variables here:  pressure, injury, training.  It's not easy watching him play like this but even MacKinnon had a regression before re-establishing himself.  It happens. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

I don't think anyone's cool with mediocrity.

But it's ok...give up on Petey.  You won't convince me to.

I haven’t given up on him.  
I hope he bounces back.  
I just haven’t seen a single thing that says he will, other than pouting and stick slamming.  
It seems haven’t read any of our conversation.  Lol

I really hope he bounces back, I just wish he would show he wants to in ways other than whining.  Like putting in a furious pace and big back checking efforts. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, you don't sell off one of your best (he has been) assets when their value is low.  People here have to give Petey time to work through this because he's a guy who will.

56 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

That's where I'm going.

Realistically what's his value at this time?

Not what the Canucks want.

I think his value is still reasonably high. Not what is was before but he's still a prolific player who is 23 years old and has an incredibly bright future. He's got a pretty decent contract in this situation. It's a little high for what he's producing now but it only has two years left so the risk is limited ... but it's a great deal if he returns to a ppg type player.

I think he definitely lands a top player in return. Noah Dobson+ or maybe an Ekbald or Parayko although those last 2 teams aren't desperately looking for a trade. Maybe something like Josh Anderson, Chairot and a first and a third, but I'm just spitballing there.

For the record I don't really want to see him traded but I think we're going to see some big moves at some point. It really depends if JR wants to retool a bit or if he thinks we're a couple moves away.

It feels like we are missing a top 6/9 forward in general even if we had a healthy Boeser. 

A lot of pressure put on Hoglander and Podkolzin to produce, but they are still finding their identity as players. I think another top 9 scoring forward and a solid bottom pairing LHD would solidify our mix here.\

As disheartening the 2nd period was, I thought overall we played not bad for a back to back game.

59 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

You have to get over the bitterness of him getting paid as he did command at that point ... don't take it personally, it's part of doing business.  Separate that from his current struggles because you can't buy your way out of them or pay to avoid them.   

It's not a lack of effort (at all).  That's your narrative....it is mental and he's frustrated and it shows.  Take the money out of it because it has nothing to do with production.  Again, you didn't address the other part (where McDavid went 10 games without scoring).   Humans will have periods where they're not at their best...in sports, especially so because when you're the best you get targeted.

There's so much bitterness toward him....don't forget what he did show us.  That matters too.  It's not like he didn't have success and give us good reason to support him...because he did.

People were ready to turf the entire team not long ago.  Miller rings a bell.....for the same "attitude" stuff.  Be careful what you wish for.

58 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So did the other teams, more or less, right ?

People would be wise to remember hockey is not linear game straight forward game. Sometimes when you lose there is no one to blame except the hockey Gods. A team can be prepared and at the top of their game and just run into a tough goalie, a team that has a better game plan, or just plain bad bounces.

Also it's not like NFL where they play once a week and everyone is juiced, fully prepared and 100% on the same page. When you play 82 games a year and you're on the road, or dealing with personal issues some players are just not as focused as they could be. It happens to every team. That's just reality in an 82 game schedule. Sometimes you show up thinking you're ready and it just doesn't go as planned. You can't win them all.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I haven’t given up on him.  
I hope he bounces back.  
I just haven’t seen a single thing that says he will, other than pouting and stick slamming.  
It seems haven’t read any of our conversation.  Lol

I really hope he bounces back, I just wish he would show he wants to in ways other than whining.  Like putting in a furious pace and big back checking efforts. 

When Miller slams his stick it's passion, when Petey does it's pouting? I haven't seen a single person on this forum be "cool with mediocrity" as everyone seems to be disappointed how his season is going. I think the majority just understand that coming back from a season ending injury is hard, especially when that's paired with a hefty new contract and a thoroughly terrible team start to the year.

The fact that you haven't seen anything that makes you believe he will return to form tells me you have already made up your mind. Since the coaching change he has been playing with a much higher tempo and back checking like old Petey. It's easy to miss things when you have already made your assessment though. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

People would be wise to remember hockey is not linear game straight forward game. Sometimes when you lose there is no one to blame except the hockey Gods. A team can be prepared and at the top of their game and just run into a tough goalie, a team that has a better game plan, or just plain bad bounces.

Also it's not like NFL where they play once a week and everyone is juiced, fully prepared and 100% on the same page. When you play 82 games a year and you're on the road, or dealing with personal issues some players are just not as focused as they could be. It happens to every team. That's just reality in an 82 game schedule. Sometimes you show up thinking you're ready and it just doesn't go as planned. You can't win them all.

Yep.

It's why they do 7 game playoff series'.

Can't find out which the better team is with just one game. 

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

It feels like we are missing a top 6/9 forward in general even if we had a healthy Boeser. 

A lot of pressure put on Hoglander and Podkolzin to produce, but they are still finding their identity as players. I think another top 9 scoring forward and a solid bottom pairing LHD would solidify our mix here.\

As disheartening the 2nd period was, I thought overall we played not bad for a back to back game.

Would help if EP40 stopped pretending to be Eriksson.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

When Miller slams his stick it's passion, when Petey does it's pouting? I haven't seen a single person on this forum be "cool with mediocrity" as everyone seems to be disappointed how his season is going. I think the majority just understand that coming back from a season ending injury is hard, especially when that's paired with a hefty new contract and a thoroughly terrible team start to the year.

The fact that you haven't seen anything that makes you believe he will return to form tells me you have already made up your mind. Since the coaching change he has been playing with a much higher tempo and back checking like old Petey. It's easy to miss things when you have already made your assessment though. 

Fair enough.   
I don’t believe we will see peak Pettersson this season.  
I really hope I get to eat a big old plate of crow, but I just don’t see it this season. 

I don’t see the ‘old Petey’ back check.  
Maybe a bit more tempo, but nothing like he should be or has shown before. 
I was actually really surprised the coaching change didn’t do more for him.  
It obviously helped everyone else.  

31 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

After a loss I like to stay away from the PGT's because it can turn too negative for me. It's refreshing to see not everyone is wanting for fire or burn or bury people in the back 40 after this game, nice to see lol. Yes we did not play well at all. But lets talk about the positives for a second.

Highmore, he injected a bunch of energy into our team. And it's funny to think that before he was injured our team under TG had started the year off very well and had a winning record. I'm not saying he is some catalyst for winning, but he creates a lot of energy and hustle out there. Him and Motte work very well together and I like what I see. Wish he could have burried some of his chances, but can't ask for much more than what he gave last night. Hope he keeps it up.

Halak, Halak, Halak, now that was a performance. The game was worth watching just seeing him stand on his head. How anyone thinks that this guy is an issue or isn't that great of a goalie should really give their head a shake. He's been one of the best if not the best back up goalie in the league for years now, and can even play in a starting role if you need him to. He is damn good pro, knows his role, and is little to no maintenance out there...you can't ask for a better back up goalie to be quite frank.

The rest of the team was gassed, too much rest then boom 2 games back to back...especially in California...we don't win many back to backs in that state...the sun gets to our brains lol.

Going forward i'm going to keep an open mind on this team. As the road just gets harder from here with the Covid changes and the schedule compressing on us. I hope everyone maintains some calm and patience as we figure out what this team is and looks like under new management and coaching.

Yeah Highmore played really well and got a couple real good looks on net too, which doesn't really happen much. He does add a lot of hustle with purpose although with his complete lack of production it makes him suited for fourth line duties.

Maybe he's the guy that finally relegates Chiasson. That would appease a number of folks here. ^_^ We'll see. I expect some moves will be made by the end of the month. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah Highmore played really well and got a couple real good looks on net too, which doesn't really happen much. He does add a lot of hustle with purpose although with his complete lack of production it makes him suited for fourth line duties.

Maybe he's the guy that finally relegates Chiasson. That would appease a number of folks here. ^_^ We'll see. I expect some moves will be made by the end of the month. 

For sure, Highmore is the left handed version of Motte lol. Both have great motors and can agitate very well...but hands of stone. And i'm ok with that. We get them a good 4th line center to play with and we have a very good 4th line. Lammiko, as much as he is trying, he just is a place holder at 4C. I know we can do better than him at that position. Just need to find one. I'm not trying to knock Lammy he tries hard, just not great at faceoffs, and i'm not a fan of his PK abilities. Sutter was supposed to be our 4C and that would have been one heck of a 4th line, highmore/sutter/motte...I sure hope Sutter can one day get back into it, but his career may be over. Our team misses him no doubt about it.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Those are the kinds of “little things” Pavel Datsyuk contributed to the Wings.  I think people tend to forget just how good Petey is defensively.  

I think people look at defensive awareness like they need to back check like hell and skate like hell and be an overall pest out there to be some defensive stalwart. But you don't, what you need is awareness and know where to be at the right times to take away plays, or make small plays to get the puck up the ice. This is where Datsyuk and Petey both excel. They have amazing awareness and are in the right spots a lot of the time. So they never need to skate like the wind to back check and cancel a play out as they are already "with" the play because they seen and anticipated earlier than most players on the ice.

edit: I will add, Petey is a work in progress. Obviously he is not Datsyuk. But I do see the comparisons.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1