The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Seattle Kraken | Jan. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Wow. This is what one bad 1/3 season gets you eh? 

Season is not even half done. 

You dont win MVP and golden helmet of SHL as a rookie for being crappy. Think about all the greats that came out of the SHL? And then he wins rookie of the year in the NHL. Overrated??? 

Petterson is a cerebral player with great puck skills. The first 3 seasons, it looked like he knew what he wanted to do with the puck ahead of time and did it. If you could grade it, His anticipation was like 95/100

He was always at the right place at the right time and then when he got the puck, there was zero hesitation and he made a great play whether it be a shot, pass or defensive check. I still remember him picking off a king's breakout pass going down left wing full speed and letting go a Gretzky clapper to win the game. I don't remember any canuck that would have the guts to go full speed up ice to pick off a pass when the opposition D is making a breakout pass. It's usually a play on the body of the winger to make a defensive play. 

He showed moxy in the STL playoff series as well. 

I think this is Peteys humbling experience right now. After the offseason contract negotiations, some comments he made , all the time he spent on instagram and recording studios etc. He's probably regretting a lot of it. 

But you know what, I'd rather he go through this now rather than in a playoff series when we need him to show up. 

I think it'll be amazing if he gets it together in the 2nd half and becomes the old Petey when we hit playoffs. That's like adding a star at the TDL. 

BB is showing we have a good team. With some run support from other guys, pressure should be easing which will allow Petey some space to breath and regain his touch. 

Whats funny is that he has been terrible this year and he's still 0.5 pts per game. 

Now we know what his floor is lol

If the worst he is going to be is a half a ppg player that isn't a liability on the defensive end. I'd take that still. Paid accordingly on his next contract though. He is not worth 7.5 mil/yr

Half a PPG player in the NHL this year who have played 20 plus game is 161st. 378 forwards have played 20 plus games this year.

3 hours ago, wildwood12 said:

We are seeing the real Oilers right now!  On the other hand we are seeing the real Canucks after the coaching change. We were so far back that it will still be a real challenge to get the last playoff spot.

Not that I buy into these things but we went from 1% odds to 57% odds in 3 weeks.

Looking at the pacific the knights unless they crap the bed will be one of the top 3 teams. The Oilers flames,nucks, ducks, kings are all lumped within 6 points of each other with more than half a season to go, nevermind the WC spots. Looking at the pacific the remaining schedules and quality of teams, I think we finish in the top 3 along with the flames but I have some doubt with the flames, watching them it seems every possible thing that could go right has and they still don't look that formidable. But they work hard and stick to their system so that's why I think they make it. The ducks have been a great story but like the Oilers rode an unsustainable pp but I think they fall back to earth. 

40 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Not that I buy into these things but we went from 1% odds to 57% odds in 3 weeks.

Looking at the pacific the knights unless they crap the bed will be one of the top 3 teams. The Oilers flames,nucks, ducks, kings are all lumped within 6 points of each other with more than half a season to go, nevermind the WC spots. Looking at the pacific the remaining schedules and quality of teams, I think we finish in the top 3 along with the flames but I have some doubt with the flames, watching them it seems every possible thing that could go right has and they still don't look that formidable. But they work hard and stick to their system so that's why I think they make it. The ducks have been a great story but like the Oilers rode an unsustainable pp but I think they fall back to earth. 

Where did the 57% odds come from?

1 hour ago, sxqhfeh said:

If the worst he is going to be is a half a ppg player that isn't a liability on the defensive end. I'd take that still. Paid accordingly on his next contract though. He is not worth 7.5 mil/yr

Half a PPG player in the NHL this year who have played 20 plus game is 161st. 378 forwards have played 20 plus games this year.

The point people are making is at his lowest he's a .5 player and you seem to be basing him on 30 games opposed to the rest of his career where he's been around a ppg player including 17 playoff games.

You also are using false assumptions like he's only good sheltered when in truth that's not the case and has not only been a good 200 foot player but since about 15 games into his rookie season has been the main focus of other teams.

There is no doubt he needs to be better but you seem to have done a complete 180 off of 30 games.

This reminds me of how people turned on Nylander after one bad stretch after his holdout yet now he is becoming a true legit top line ppg player. There are countless stories around the sports world when it comes to young kids struggling especially ones that parallel Petey's off season, injured, no camp, new contract etc.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Where did the 57% odds come from?

Money puck after the Kraken game. Oilers were 53 and flames were pretty far ahead, I think it was in the 80% realm.

FWIW I think it's largely hokum and I don't think a lot of science is involved just found it funny to go from 1% to 57% in 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Two things he needs to get back to.

Moving his feet and not thinking so much. You can tell he’s not playing on instinct right now. That extra second he’s taking is causing him to lose the puck too much.

Definitely. He's overthinking plays because things aren't going well and now things aren't going well because he's overthinking plays. It's a vicious loop.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Money puck after the Kraken game. Oilers were 53 and flames were pretty far ahead, I think it was in the 80% realm.

FWIW I think it's largely hokum and I don't think a lot of science is involved just found it funny to go from 1% to 57% in 3 weeks.

Those odds were glitched due to the postponed games.  Our odds are actually still only 23% but with our momentum I'm starting to think a matter of when rather than if we get into the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

MoneyPuck confirmed an issue with the odds.   Before the Kraken game they had Vancouver at 12%.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, mll said:

MoneyPuck confirmed an issue with the odds.   Before the Kraken game they had Vancouver at 12%.

Fair enough. Still think those types of predictions are silly since they are based on record and games left when many other things effect the final outcome. But thanks for the correction, cheers.

14 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Those odds were glitched due to the postponed games.  Our odds are actually still only 23% but with our momentum I'm starting to think a matter of when rather than if we get into the playoffs.

Ya me too. I have said since summer I think we're a playoff team and even at the lowest point I still thought it.

I look at our 5on5 numbers and see only the Canes have allowed less goals 45 to 50 but in 3 less games and that's been ongoing even during our lowest point. It sounds so simple but special teams especially the pk were killing us and for me good 5on5  teams will turn things around easier then a team that depends entirely on special teams (oilers, Ducks)

Since Bruce we ate 6th on the pk and 9th I think on the pp while still continuing to not allow much 5on5.

As someone who defended TG and regardless if it was more on his assistant baumer, I still feel quite silly for my defending of him.

Will always like Benning but like TG not making changes to underlings is just as damaging as a bad trade or contract.

Seeing guys like Pearson, Myers, etc look like completely different players and to see a team that attacks, attacks and is winning all types of games and most importantly doing it with completely sustainable (if not room for even more) has made things fun again as seen on here and the usually toxic HF.

The fact we are back in the hunt reminds me of game 7 against the Hawks, say we lost that game after such a dominating season and 3-1 lead, does that team get blown up

This season if we continued to suck to we see a bunch of the young core moved and we are stuck with another rebuild instead of what sounds like a pieces being added to help this core?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Two things he needs to get back to.

Moving his feet and not thinking so much. You can tell he’s not playing on instinct right now. That extra second he’s taking is causing him to lose the puck too much.

I wonder how patient Rutherford will  be with Petey. Does Petey (light frame, finesse style) fit with what Rutherford wants or is petey a valuable chip towards bringing in some other needed talent?

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I think about 99,8% of the hockey world would be just that, patient. He's a 23 year old highly talented center who up until this point of his hockey career has never really gone through a slump. He's ultra competitive, plays a 200 foot game, and has insane offensive tools.

You would be down right loony if you could find any reason to move on from a piece like that at this point of his career.

He is the needed talent. If he were to be traded it would be for an upgrade. I think one of the few names that would make me say yes would be Leon Draisaitl. 

I think what happens a lot is that people view things in the now and don't consider the asset in 2-3, 5-6, or even 10 years down the road. 

A 26 year old Elias Pettersson will be absolutely deadly. 

Let's be real at the same time.   He's got 7 even strength points on the team, while averaging over 18 TOI.   That's less then Garland(the leader),  Miller, Horvat, Pearson, BB, Hoglander, Podz and two defenseman in QHs and Myers. It's reasonable to be worried about him. 

There is nobody on the team that would even move the needle on a Draisatl trade,  even if he wasn't in our division.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

imagine if we turned PT into 2-3 pieces that are moderate contributors in key positions that are tough to play against???

Petey + Homonic for Adam Larsson, Geekie and Yannie Gourde

gives sea a franchise C yes they are a rival but it gives us a top pair RHD who will be really good for at least 3 yrs and he is on a great contract. him and Hughes = dynamite. geekie could be a great prospect long term he is huge and two way and can start as a 3C/4C for us now and develop into a 2C, Yanni gourde has a cup as a 3C but can play higher in the lineup and is a top 6 player on most teams. This gives us what we badly need:

1. a top pair RHD who is defence first

2.good two way bottom 6 scoring depth with Geekie being quite young

3. Gourde - a cup

4. Geekie - size

• RoughGame 1