The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Seattle Kraken | Jan. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Henrik Sedin had 42 points as a 23 year old.  He got 112 points at age 29.  Petey is having his worst year in his career and he is still on pace for 40+ points as a 23 year old.

At age 26 Petey will be a completely different player.  He may never hit 100 points, but based on his first 2 years in the league the potential is there to hit 90+ points.

Based on the Sedins first two seasons, there was a lot of doubt they'd even stay in the league that long .   Both by them, and the media/fans.    They absolutely benefitted from the lock-out and the rule changes/enforcement.    It really is too bad they didn't come into the league peaking already lol  - if that was so, we'd have a cup maybe two even WITH Cloutier in net.    Look at Brad freaking Marchand.   He's probably the best example of what a prime looks like compared to early years.   Miller is also a good example, same with the Sedins like you already mentioned, same with Naslund - same with Iginla.   McKinnon, Kucherov, Martin St. Louis are others.    Most players get better as they age.   It's frustrating as a fan to see EP doing so poorly this season - and given his minutes and the eye test - he is doing poorly, not just by the standards he's set for himself, but by the league in general.  40 points as a 18 min guy with top PP minutes is rather bad.    50 wouldn't be terrible, 60 is decent.    Funny thing is, if we have an 82 game season, would anyone want to bet against him not getting 50-60 points by the end of the season?  I wouldn't. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Deadmonton seems like they need a new coach! I'm thinking Green will get a call up.

Lol imagine he has McDrai in a passive box blocking shots all game.

Pretty sure Green learned his lesson after BB took over and saw what the team was doing differently. 

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Henrik Sedin had 42 points as a 23 year old.  He got 112 points at age 29.  Petey is having his worst year in his career and he is still on pace for 40+ points as a 23 year old.

At age 26 Petey will be a completely different player.  He may never hit 100 points, but based on his first 2 years in the league the potential is there to hit 90+ points.

And, I think Petey will still get to around 60 points by the end of the season.

I think as good as him and Garland have been, they are still in the process of understanding each other's play style.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wayne Gretzky himself compared Petey to Gretzky:

Wayne Gretzky compares Canucks' Elias Pettersson to himself, Sidney Crosby - Sportsnet.ca

Wayne Gretzky knows a thing or two about the NHL’s record book.

As the all-time leader in points, goals and assists, Gretzky has an eye for players who may some day come after his own records, and in watching Vancouver Canucks super rookie Elias Pettersson’s assault on the Canucks first-year record book he sees a lot of his own budding greatness in the Swedish phenom.

“From my point of view, he’s got a lot of my similarities,” Gretzky said on Sportsnet 650 Monday morning. “His hockey sense and his playmaking ability is as good as anybody right now, and that’s probably where the comparisons come from — much more the playmaking than anything else.”

Sorry ... I want nothing more than for Petey to live up to that and regain his form, game, and ability but  ...even with the Great One's comments ... I still don't think those comparisons are/were fair.

• Upvote 1

my kid like the flames as we live in Calgary, we were playing mini hockey, he was the flames and I was the Canucks, I was down a couple goals and I try to do one of those Hughes quick spins to get around him…. 

anyways I think I broke my foot, might get one of them walking boots that was in fashion a few years ago 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Sorry ... I want nothing more than for Petey to live up to that and regain his form, game, and ability but  ...even with the Great One's comments ... I still don't think those comparisons are/were fair.

While he is the great one, his coaching tenure in AZ was short, maybe not the best at evaluating talent lol.

Hope Petey pulls through 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely people thought that.   Three five point games (wasn't it?  maybe two but still) his rookie year...on pace for well over 30 goals ... and man he was barely 170 - a bean poke just like Gretzky was when he entered (maybe that was what Wayne was referring too lol).. joking aside this guy had the entire hockey world salivating.   For example THN had him on the cover and did a great job researching how this phenomenon came to be.   Compared him to Lafluer, as in 100% self taught - after the draft he identified over 20 things about his shot that needed improvement, and went out and practiced each one until he was satisfied.   One site that creates future seasons for any player, had him winning multiple Art Ross trophies, over 130 points at his peak and something like 1600 points once his career was over lol.   

The only players we've ever had, that made such a splash right away were Bure and Linden really.   BB maybe too, but what EP outshone that by a fair margin.    His play was unique ... and even in the bubble, his first crack at playoff hockey he managed to get over a PPG...second season in.     His injuries seemed to have affected his shot.   Posts instead of posts and in.   What's happened this year doesn't at all follow the script.   Sure players have bad seasons, it happens.   Maybe it was camp, maybe it was not enough training - or maybe it was too much training (there is such a thing, in the gym anyways).   Who knows.   40 goals and 60 assists after his first couple seasons seemed more likely then the opposite as his peak.   The Sedins took a long time before they got to one year of PPG..and peaked at 30.   Naslund was 27.   Bure too really, his best seasons were in Florida in the deepest part of the dead puck era with little support.  

One can expect on average,  EP will have his best seasons 25-27 - 30 if injuries don't screw it up.    Not many guys have their best season their rookie one.   Gomez was one i remember.   Selanne but what the heck who cares about that, guy was incredible right until the very end putting Finland on his back...but it does happen too.   And there are a lot of others who's careers looked like they were exploding but only had one or two great seasons early on as well (and some were circumstance, playing with marquee players for example - EP did it with Goldobin for part of his rookie year lol).    

THN also ranked him the 8th best player in the world after his rookie season.   Didn't make that mistake again but it does show that the hype was real, and as fans we did have recourse to think man this guy is going places. 

To me at least, i believed he was going to be very special, maybe even Bure special (playing C and some of his defensive plays...Datsyuk type).    As it turns out not yet.   But wouldn't be surprised if he sets club records either.   Glad he bet on himself.   The club needs to keep helping him through his slump.  

Quin Hughes is following the type of career arc we could and should have expected from EP.   Now nobody is complaining about his size anymore are they?   Can make it work - just like Chelios and Brian Campbell did. 

Nice reply. I guess I had some tempered expectations even after his first 2 seasons and  btw people talk about his rookie season. It was his second year that was arguably better but for sure was more rounded. I figured he would be a 75-85 point guy like I said which in today’s NHL is exceptional. Defensively responsible and guy that gets on the score board most nights.

I do not believe his abilities are effected by his injuries. I think this is a mental for Petey. Frankly there isn’t a better time for him to go through this adversity. Everyone knows how he can play and getting through this now will only make him a better player in the future. 
The brain can be our biggest asset and our worst but people can say what they want. They are wrong. Petey is a great player and will be performing like one again. 

However he may just have to keep fighting through it this year. If that’s the case I fully suspect a bounce back year. Ideally I’d like to see him have a really nice second half here.

Anyone check out Mackinnons second and third year stats? Really this is Peteys third year in the NHL when you consider he only played 20 some games last year. Imagine if Colorado traded Mac back then LOL.

Anyways Petey will be fine, it’s just taking longer then we have hoped 

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Maybe the comparison was more about playing style rather than the points.

The stylistic comparison wasn't as absurd.

No one is going to put up Gretzky's numbers, not even close.

52 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

While he is the great one, his coaching tenure in AZ was short, maybe not the best at evaluating talent lol.

Hope Petey pulls through 

That's pretty short sighted.   But yes Gretzky wasn't the "great one" at coaching.    He for sure was great at evaluating talent, thought the game three or four steps ahead of some of the greatest players the world has ever seen, the deepest talent pool the NHL has ever seen so far at least.  That's not hard to debate against given how well the stars of the 80's did in the 90's, and how well the young talent coming up in the 90's outshone the terrible talent level of the 2000's.  

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, khay said:

Maybe the comparison was more about playing style rather than the points.

The stylistic comparison wasn't as absurd.

No one is going to put up Gretzky's numbers, not even close.

This is what people were talking about. He's a slight kid who sees the ice really well and shoots the puck way harder than you'd think he could with that frame. No one thought he'd achieve anything close to Gretzky

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

but based on his first 2 years in the league the potential is there to hit 90+ points.

But what does he look like if you base his potential on this year?

A half point a game, easy to knock down, not overly defensive(anymore) guy.

A lousy face off performer.

He is getting way too much cap money to be the guy he has this season.

If he does not improve, this team is in serious trouble.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

But what does he look like if you base his potential on this year?

A half point a game, easy to knock down, not overly defensive(anymore) guy.

A lousy face off performer.

He is getting way too much cap money to be the guy he has this season.

If he does not improve, this team is in serious trouble.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

How many young players don't have a slow down and struggle for a while, especially while recovering from surgery that kept them out the majority of the year before and missing camp before going through a coaching change.  How perfect does someone have to be to be acceptable?

Or are we just this salty that as soon as a young player has a down turn we need to sell low on them?

Rookie of the year, point a game guy in first two years, over a point a game in playoffs.  I think he has earned the opportunity to try and recover his game before the fan base bails on him.

• Cheers 1

Optimism is fine, but have a back up plan.

I'm quite happy he is only signed for 3 years, I don't like the team having to pay top forward money for mid level forward performance.

I'd posted a few months back that I wonder just what E.P. is going to be.

He could be our best forward, or he could end up being a superstar.

Looks more and more like "just" our  future, best forward and less and less like a superstar.