The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Jan. 18, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Rutherford made the point about moving players if the net affect was to make the team a stronger playoff group to challenge for a CUP. I agree with that. I don’t have much interest in making playoffs if it is a quick exit. That said Demko makes anything possible. The offence has enough fire power. The issue is defence and if players are moved it is likely to acquire a defenceman.

It is Rutherford’s biggest challenge this spring in making the decision to be a seller or not. 

I keep reading defense is the problem but aren't we one of the best defensive teams in the league 5v5?

Aren't most of our GA coming from a crappy PK? 

I feel like if we are a net positive on special teams, we'd be a top 5 team in the league

It's hard to win games when PP sucks and PK is atrocious like last place in the league. 

When looking at overall special teams (pp + pk percentages). We are 30th with only mtl and Arizona behind us. 

Edited by CanucksJay

10 hours ago, mll said:

The TDL is 2 months from now - 21 March.   Just too early.  Teams typically wait to see where their group is at before making a move.  There's the pandemic and injuries can derail a season.  Sellers also try and create a bidding war to increase the return.  It's closer to the TDL that teams start and make moves.  

Miller will not be traded if the Canucks are slotted in a playoff position on March 21/22

37 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Rutherford made the point about moving players if the net affect was to make the team a stronger playoff group to challenge for a CUP. I agree with that. I don’t have much interest in making playoffs if it is a quick exit. That said Demko makes anything possible. The offence has enough fire power. The issue is defence and if players are moved it is likely to acquire a defenceman.

It is Rutherford’s biggest challenge this spring in making the decision to be a seller or not. 

We're actually 8th worst in the league.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Yep, with Demko in net you never know how far we will go.

Adding a defenceman on the left side that knows how to kill penalties and Hamonic's return could help improve our penalty kill.

And if we do improve our PK, I can see us sneak into the playoffs as #3 seed in Pacific division. And if we do, we will likely face Calgary.

And if we beat the Flames, we could reach round 2 and face Vegas. I think Demko gives us a chance against them even if Eichel returns with full health.

That's the thing with the playoffs. You just can never know what can happen.

47 minutes ago, khay said:

How about since the coaching change? I don't think we are in the top 10 but hopefully we are better than 8th worst.

25th or 8th worst at 5v5 per game since Boudreau took over - 5 December till today.

22nd or 11th worst at all strength.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Devron said:

Depi

This means Halak is still in protocol. Nothing to do with Demko correct? 

Halak tested positive last Saturday and was supposed to isolate in a Raleigh, N.C. hotel for at least five days. If he tests negative after five days, he can leave the hotel but may not be able to return to Canada without quarantining.

43 minutes ago, mll said:

25th or 8th worst at 5v5 per game since Boudreau took over - 5 December till today.

22nd or 11th worst at all strength.

Thanks. So offence hasn't improved all that much. Makes sense I guess since Petey just started to get going. 

If Petey does get going, that number should go up.