The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Jan. 18, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Little Ball of Hate...not many guys scored over 500 goals and had over 2900 pims...Just one it's him lol.   Actually only 3 had over 2500 and 400, Tochett and Roberts being the other guys.   Him and Walker would make quite the pair lol.   Don't mind this hire, been learning under Stevie Y, and having a GM that played the in the era's he did, at that level and with that amount of truculence - let's just say i'm sure he gets it.    Without Rutherford i'd be against it....but with him and 3 AGMs feel that hire would be solid.  

Yeah. He’s been learning under Stevie Y. I like him potentially because he’s been Stevie’s understudy. He’s a good guy to learn from, and to be mentored by. I mean, ideally I’d love Stevie Y himself to be the next Canucks GM, but he’ll be in Detroit for a while still. Verbeek could be the next best thing besides getting Stevie himself. 

Love what Rutherford is doing. Building a robust front office. Makes Benning and Weisbrod look like fools with the way they were running the front office. The joke of the league in terms of the franchise itself, and also particularly the front office. 

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I keep reading defense is the problem but aren't we one of the best defensive teams in the league 5v5?

Aren't most of our GA coming from a crappy PK? 

I feel like if we are a net positive on special teams, we'd be a top 5 team in the league

It's hard to win games when PP sucks and PK is atrocious like last place in the league. 

When looking at overall special teams (pp + pk percentages). We are 30th with only mtl and Arizona behind us. 

Even if this team is respectable, I don't think that's where the concern regarding our defense stems from. Well, at least not for me. It's more about who's currently playing defense and who we've got in the pipeline. 

Hughes is the only top 4D we've got who's 25 or younger. We don't have any prospects in the system who project to be top 4 guys sooner than later. Maybe Woo gets there, but over the next 2-3 years? I'd be surprised. 

OEL's likely here for the long haul, he's been a rock defensively but his production concerns me. Myers will be 32 on the 1st, how much longer can he be a top 4 guy? Hamonic's been mostly a non-factor this season given how little he's played, but what do we have in him? Is he a top 4 guy? He'll be 32 before next season begins. 

Poolman's a bottom pairing guy who might be able to play up a little at times, Schenn's a bottom pairing guy at best. Hunt, Burroughs, they're depth guys. Maybe Burroughs could stick somewhere as a bottom pairing guy. 

But do we have three top 4D? Does Hamonic make 4? What do we have in the way of a succession plan? Because as of right now there's not much in the pipeline and we don't have a ton of cap to work with over the next couple seasons unless someone's moved out. Cap likely won't go up much. 

I'm concerned about our D going forward. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Even if this team is respectable, I don't think that's where the concern regarding our defense stems from. Well, at least not for me. It's more about who's currently playing defense and who we've got in the pipeline. 

Hughes is the only top 4D we've got who's 25 or younger. We don't have any prospects in the system who project to be top 4 guys sooner than later. Maybe Woo gets there, but over the next 2-3 years? I'd be surprised. 

OEL's likely here for the long haul, he's been a rock defensively but his production concerns me. Myers will be 32 on the 1st, how much longer can he be a top 4 guy? Hamonic's been mostly a non-factor this season given how little he's played, but what do we have in him? Is he a top 4 guy? He'll be 32 before next season begins. 

Poolman's a bottom pairing guy who might be able to play up a little at times, Schenn's a bottom pairing guy at best. Hunt, Burroughs, they're depth guys. Maybe Burroughs could stick somewhere as a bottom pairing guy. 

But do we have three top 4D? Does Hamonic make 4? What do we have in the way of a succession plan? Because as of right now there's not much in the pipeline and we don't have a ton of cap to work with over the next couple seasons unless someone's moved out. Cap likely won't go up much. 

I'm concerned about our D going forward. 

As we should be.   JB best team is on the ice right now.  We aren't contenders but have one of the worst pools in the league.   We better freaking hope Woo is the next Bieksa, because we are certainly going to need that without a trade or two - and we've already endured 2.5 years of b!tching about Myers, and haven't really started on OEL yet (it will come).   Not easy to find those guys ... and they don't come cheap.

All said since Bruce we've been the best defensive team in the league so i'm willing to sit it out and enjoy the ride.   But am expecting some moves over the next 1.5 years that address this area. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Martin doesn’t have an NHL win with only 3 tries.

Thats a very tall task. Would be amazing to get your first against the best team in the league though.

He’ll likely be going up against Knight since the Panthers play the Oilers tonight.

spennyspenny.png.98ee95bf516d9e158c83dfab7821f1bd.png

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

As we should be.   JB best team is on the ice right now.  We aren't contenders but have one of the worst pools in the league.   We better freaking hope Woo is the next Bieksa, because we are certainly going to need that without a trade or two - and we've already endured 2.5 years of b!tching about Myers, and haven't really started on OEL yet (it will come).   Not easy to find those guys ... and they don't come cheap.

All said since Bruce we've been the best defensive team in the league so i'm willing to sit it out and enjoy the ride.   But am expecting some moves over the next 1.5 years that address this area. 

Yeah, it's unfortunate that after eight years of Benning this is the best we've got. And I mean, I know there's a lot to unpack there, but it's still disappointing. 

I think Woo will be a player, I'm just not sure what he'll end up being you know? A top 4D would be great, if he hits his ceiling that's likely what he is. But I could see him sticking as at least a bottom pairing guy.  But yeah, bottom pairing guys aren't tough to find. 

Yeaaah, it'll happen. Maybe OEL ages well, I hope he does, but it'll happen. Walking away from Myers would free up 6M to try and find a replacement, but who's to say who'll be available? My concern is fishing via UFA would cost more than the 6M he'd free up, it's a very real possibility. 

Dunno how we'll address it going forward, but I have a hard time seeing it happen without at least one trade. 

58 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Martin doesn’t have an NHL win with only 3 tries.

Thats a very tall task. Would be amazing to get your first against the best team in the league though.

He’ll likely be going up against Knight since the Panthers play the Oilers tonight.

Knight is going to be a tough task. That young man is going to be a great goaltender in the league for a long time. 

54 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We’re gonna have to play like we did against Nashville and keep the puck in their end. 

Thinking we can sit back and trap will 100% equal a loss.

Gotta keep getting pucks deep and forechecking like animals. Only way to beat that team.

trapping doesn’t seem to be Bruce’s style or system. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

trapping doesn’t seem to be Bruce’s style or system. 

A pure defensive game ain't his thing. He did well with a less offensively focused group in Minnesota but those weren't terrible rosters either. But if you look at Washington and Anaheim, yeah, their offense was quite pronounced. This isn't to say those teams were necessarily awful defensively, but they def leaned offense. 

Could he coach that kind of game? Probably, but it's not his inclination. 

Edited by Coconuts

28 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, it's unfortunate that after eight years of Benning this is the best we've got. And I mean, I know there's a lot to unpack there, but it's still disappointing. 

I think Woo will be a player, I'm just not sure what he'll end up being you know? A top 4D would be great, if he hits his ceiling that's likely what he is. But I could see him sticking as at least a bottom pairing guy.  But yeah, bottom pairing guys aren't tough to find. 

Yeaaah, it'll happen. Maybe OEL ages well, I hope he does, but it'll happen. Walking away from Myers would free up 6M to try and find a replacement, but who's to say who'll be available? My concern is fishing via UFA would cost more than the 6M he'd free up, it's a very real possibility. 

Dunno how we'll address it going forward, but I have a hard time seeing it happen without at least one trade. 

I dunno, it could be because after Juolevi, we've been drafting forwards with our top pick until Hughes. 

I feel like we are set on defense for at least 2-3 years? How far are we looking /planning ahead? 

I really liked what i saw in Rathbone. Burroughs have been a great surprise and Hughes is already a top tier d man. 

OEL is here for the long haul. I've always been a fan of Myers

If a first round d man takes D+2 years to play, don't we have time? 

42 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I dunno, it could be because after Juolevi, we've been drafting forwards with our top pick until Hughes. 

I feel like we are set on defense for at least 2-3 years? How far are we looking /planning ahead? 

I really liked what i saw in Rathbone. Burroughs have been a great surprise and Hughes is already a top tier d man. 

OEL is here for the long haul. I've always been a fan of Myers

If a first round d man takes D+2 years to play, don't we have time? 

We've got prospects in the system, we've even drafted some D recently, but I wouldn't say any of them are close to being more than maybe bottom pairing guys sooner than later. Woo could potentially develop into a top 4D, but who knows. Maybe Rathbone. But sooner than later? I doubt it. I'll be surprised if Juulsen ends up being more than a bottom pairing guy, it's unfortunate how getting hurt has impacted his career. 

Next couple years, sure, but that'll come and go quick. After that it's anyone's guess because of what we've got in the system and what our projected cap space is as of today. If we move salary or players out that could change, but as of right now I'm concerned. 

OEL will be around, Hughes too, but after that I don't know. I like Myers, but will he be a top 4 guy at 34? Even if he is, for how long? Gotta start considering how we replace him. Same with Hamonic, because you won't be replacing him with a top 4D for the 3M he's currently making via UFA. 

Burroughs has been respectable for a depth guy, showing that maybe he'd be reliable as a bottom pairing guy. But more than that? Unlikely. 

Hard to say, you never really know with draft picks. And if you're drafting BPA there's no guarantee it's gonna be a D in the first round. We could certainly use more high end D prospects, no question. Even if we draft one when/if they get in the lineup and what they'd be capable of is anyone's guess. 

Edited by Coconuts

5 hours ago, khay said:

How about since the coaching change? I don't think we are in the top 10 but hopefully we are better than 8th worst.

Ah, I imagine we're a little better. I'm not sure how to get that calculation. Had two 5 goal games but still a lot of 1 and 2 goal games. Definitely better though. Basically our stick has been if we can score 3 Demmer will bring home the win.

2.59 for for the year

2.22 for :sick: Era

2.93 for Bruce Era

Well we're a little better but not much as @mll pointed out. Thanks for that!

Edited by Gawdzukes
Math mistake

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

A pure defensive game ain't his thing. He did well with a less offensively focused group in Minnesota but those weren't terrible rosters either. But if you look at Washington and Anaheim, yeah, their offense was quite pronounced. This isn't to say those teams were necessarily awful defensively, but they def leaned offense. 

Could he coach that kind of game? Probably, but it's not his inclination. 

I wonder if it was a case of Bruce playing the hand he was dealt.  IE., those teams weren’t strong defensively, so he went with an offensive style.  To be honest, I haven’t followed his career that deeply so we’ll find out the answer soon enough.