The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Jan. 18, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I wonder if it was a case of Bruce playing the hand he was dealt.  IE., those teams weren’t strong defensively, so he went with an offensive style.  To be honest, I haven’t followed his career that deeply so we’ll find out the answer soon enough.

Hard to say, but he's undeniably capable of coaching offense which is part of why I was pushing for him to be Green's replacement. If we're going to lose hockey games I'd rather watch entertaining hockey than whatever we got from Green most night during his tenure. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Hard to say, but he's undeniably capable of coaching offense which is part of why I was pushing for him to be Green's replacement. If we're going to lose hockey games I'd rather watch entertaining hockey than whatever we got from Green most night during he tenure. 

I'm happy the change was made. Also pretty unimpressed with Green skipping out of town not doing the close out media presser, says a lot imo.

I was listening to yesterdays interview with Baumgartner, and was also happy he's gone, he doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed, and he kind of blamed the players for the PK. Good riddance to both. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I'm happy the change was made. Also pretty unimpressed with Green skipping out of town not doing the close out media presser, says a lot imo.

I was listening to yesterdays interview with Baumgartner, and was also happy he's gone, he doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed, and he kind of blamed the players for the PK. Good riddance to both. 

I mean, given how things were at the end I don't blame him or Benning for just up and leaving. Lining up to take bullets from the media wouldn't have accomplished anything besides giving some hockey fans a rather depressing form of satisfaction. Getting answers for this or that wouldn't have changed anything, and it'd just create more tension as JR's coming in. 

I'd like to hear from them both at some point, I probably would have liked to have heard from them then, but in retrospect it was probably for the best. Regardless of how Green, Benning, and whoever else who is gone performed they're still people at the end of the day and having to deal with everything surrounding the team leading up to the end was probably rough enough. Sometimes it's best for both sides to just not poke the wound and move on. 

As for Baumgartner, he never should have been extended in the first place imo. Benning had an open window to bring in a brand new coaching staff and just re-hitched his wagon to what he had plus Shaw. I'm glad he's gone. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, given how things were at the end I don't blame him or Benning for just up and leaving. Lining up to take bullets from the media wouldn't have accomplished anything besides giving some hockey fans a rather depressing form of satisfaction. Getting answers for this or that wouldn't have changed anything, and it'd just create more tension as JR's coming in. 

I'd like to hear from them both at some point, I probably would have liked to have heard from them then, but in retrospect it was probably for the best. Regardless of how Green, Benning, and whoever else who is gone performed they're still people at the end of the day and having to deal with everything surrounding the team leading up to the end was probably rough enough. Sometimes it's best for both sides to just not poke the wound and move on. 

As for Baumgartner, he never should have been extended in the first place imo. Benning had an open window to bring in a brand new coaching staff and just re-hitched his wagon to what he had plus Shaw. I'm glad he's gone. 

respectfully disagree, not doing it was unprofessional imo. Its why you get the big paycheque and it disrespects the team and fans. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

respectfully disagree, not doing it was unprofessional imo. Its why you get the big paycheque and it disrespects the team and fans. 

Perhaps, but do we even know the story behind it not happening? Because I haven't seen anything.

For all we know it could have been a decision made by more than just Green or Benning. Could have been an Aqua request, could have been a collaborative thing with remaining management. Could have been done to ease Rutherford's transition, as far as I know we don't know. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, but do we even know the story behind it not happening? Because I haven't seen anything.

For all we know it could have been a decision made by more than just Green or Benning. Could have been an Aqua request, could have been a collaborative thing with remaining management. Could have been done to ease Rutherford's transition, as far as I know we don't know. 

well, we can't know what we don't know. I do know nothing is keeping them from doing something in the media since then. 

For me, its part of getting the big chair, you take it like a man and move on. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

well, we can't know what we don't know. I do know nothing is keeping them from doing something in the media since then. 

For me, its part of getting the big chair, you take it like a man and move on. 

And that's totally fair

I imagine something will come out sooner or later, I don't know about Green but I fully expect Benning to be back in the NHL sooner than later 

Maybe not as a GM, but he'll be back 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

I want to give Hamonic the benefit of the doubt.  I had a bad injury recently and suffered a set back so if the rumours are true (Hamonic suffered a set back) Id understand.  But fan frustration seems to be reaching a boiling point

It's pretty tough to get excited by this guy. Hopefully he gets replaced next year. Too hard to count on. He has not played a lot of hockey for us this year.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And that's totally fair

I imagine something will come out sooner or later, I don't know about Green but I fully expect Benning to be back in the NHL sooner than later 

Maybe not as a GM, but he'll be back 

its also just me being cranky and old 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Ah, I imagine we're a little better. I'm not sure how to get that calculation. Had two 5 goal games but still a lot of 1 and 2 goal games. Definitely better though. Basically our stick has been if we can score 3 Demmer will bring home the win.

2.59 for for the year

2.22 for :sick: Era

2.93 for Bruce Era

Well we're a little better but not much as @mll pointed out. Thanks for that!

2.93 is almost 3. And when we score 3 or more, we only lost 1 game I think (to Vegas). Given Demmer 3 and we win.

• Cheers 1

It will be interesting -- telling -- to see which two goalies they bring up and which one starts. I'm out of touch though, I don't know who's healthy and available, but if Halak isn't then we'll see what they're thinking for the future. I'm betting on Silovs ultimately but only because I don't know Martin well enough yet. Silovs looks and plays like a pro to my eyes.