The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers sign Evander Kane

It's hard to argue that this isn't a good signing for the Oilers. Yes Kane has some character problems and seems to eventually piss off people in the locker room. However this seems to only manifest after a few seasons with the organization. Remember his early stint with the Sharks was mostly positive from both the organization and himself. It was only after awhile that things turned bad.

So a one year deal of getting Evander Kane at league minimum is the best situation for the Oilers to get the most out of Evander Kane. Long enough to help the season but not long enough for him to wear out his welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 1:28 AM, SilentSam said:

2 points vs LA

On 2/18/2022 at 7:35 PM, SilentSam said:

2 pts vs ANH

On 2/21/2022 at 4:03 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

5g 4 asst in 11 games

Not too shabby. 

I honestly don't think its all about points. 

We are a team that is still struggling to be consistent on a nightly basis. We are trying to break bad habits from the previous regime. 

BB addressed the topic of culture yesterday and he didnt call it culture per se but more likely how a player should be living when he is a pro hockey player. 

I totally believe in second chances but how many has Kane had? 

I believe that the biggest hurdle this group needs to clear is coming ready to play every night. Adding Kane will not help that. In fact, it might derail that. 

I'm glad we passed on him. He is not worth the risk. The risk isnt that he doesn't put up points. The risk is that he makes this team implode. 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I honestly don't think its all about points. 

We are a team that is still struggling to be consistent on a nightly basis. We are trying to break bad habits from the previous regime. 

BB addressed the topic of culture yesterday and he didnt call it culture per se but more likely how a player should be living when he is a pro hockey player. 

I totally believe in second chances but how many has Kane had? 

I believe that the biggest hurdle this group needs to clear is coming ready to play every night. Adding Kane will not help that. In fact, it might derail that. 

I'm glad we passed on him. He is not worth the risk. The risk isnt that he doesn't put up points. The risk is that he makes this team implode. 

I think The “cancer in the room” theory is highly overrated .

San Jose’s Hertyl was the one who went to management saying Kane makes the room bad.   To please Hertyl,  Management made the move to separate themselves from Kane to make Hertyl happy,.  He of course is a highly valued player for them , coming into his UFA.

Things aren’t that better for SJ without Kane, who was actually their leading scorer last season, outshining Hertyl.. perhaps embarrassing him, and lowering his value.

Hertyl was recently asked about re-signing with SJ,.  his answer leaned heavily towards the open market.

… some things make you go hmmm.

and if you bring up courts and crime,  Kane has answered to all of it,  and found not guilty in all of it.

Winnipeg..?  You can’t tell me that Byfugliens leadership is a great example,.  He was a drunk apparently.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

San Jose’s Hertyl was the one who went to management saying Kane makes the room bad.   To please Hertyl,  Management made the move to separate themselves from Kane to make Hertyl happy,.  He of course is a highly valued player for them , coming into his UFA.

Things aren’t that better for SJ without Kane, who was actually their leading scorer last season, outshining Hertyl.. perhaps embarrassing him, and lowering his value.

Hertyl was recently asked about re-signing with SJ,.  his answer leaned heavily towards the open market.

and if you bring up courts and crime,  Kane has answered to all of it,  and found not guilty in all of it.

Winnipeg..?  You can’t tell me that Byfugliens leadership is a great example,.  He was a drunk apparently.

image.jpeg.fc23a11bb20ab2aeb2504e67a940a025.jpeg

Whadda you mean? Drinking and driving. I'm in a boat!

Ahhh F#^k it, I quit hockey. lol

• Haha 2

Not exactly sure why you guys are posting stats.  I don't think it ever was a question of if Kane can produce... we all knew he had a high chance of success statistically, especially with offensively talented players.

The dilemma was always if those stats can make up for his off ice liabilities, and the negative influence he could bring to the locker room.

Not saying he is already spreading cancer in the Oilers room, but posting stats isn't really proving anything since the argument was never production.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

Not exactly sure why you guys are posting stats.  I don't think it ever was a question of if Kane can produce... we all knew he had a high chance of success statistically, especially with offensively talented players.

The dilemma was always if those stats can make up for his off ice liabilities, and the negative influence he could bring to the locker room.

Not saying he is already spreading cancer in the Oilers room, but posting stats isn't really proving anything since the argument was never production.

We’re waiting for the “cancer” to appear,.  Seems to be something many others have had a mythical fixation with.

Cabin Fever Reaction GIF

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

We’re waiting for the “cancer” to appear,.  Seems to be something many others have had a mythical fixation with.

Cabin Fever Reaction GIF

Once again, that is something none of us knows for sure at the moment.  Kane definitely has a history and people doubting about his presence in our locker room had reasonable rights. 

People are bringing stats to say "See I'm right you're wrong" when once again, the argument against Kane was never production.

Just to add, I actually didn't mind us taking a chance on Kane as it was pretty low risk.  However my point stands that his current point production is irrelevant to the argument people on this topic were making against Kane being brought over.

Edited by T.Demko
Spelling
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Cabin Fever Reaction GIF

Same goes for your fixation Kane is a fix all. No one said he wouldn’t help a team. We were skeptical he was a fit or need for THIS team. 

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

LOL

We might as well get Jake and Leipsic back too

There's a reason his old teamates threw his clothes in the shower.

I dont know Hertl from a hole in the wall... I wouldnt even recognize him if I saw him at a restuarant. But if he says Kane is bad, I believe him. Players dont go to management unless there is a real issue.

Kane seems like the Anotnio Brown of the NHL.  It wouldnt surprise me if we find out later that he needs psychological help

I get bankruptcy.  Some guys have spending issues.  

He took out a billboard in Times Square to tell his GF how much he loves her

Weve seen the pic in Vegas hotel with stacks of bills

We've seen him accused of gambling problems. 

Who pays his gifrlfriend to get an abortion...TWICE?  And then rescinds the offer?

Who fakes COVID passports?

The fact that there's been an issue every team he's been on tells me the problem is very simple.  There's only one common denominator.  That is Kane himself.

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Same goes for your fixation Kane is a fix all. No one said he wouldn’t help a team. We were skeptical he was a fit or need for THIS team. 

No .

People were more sure than “skeptical” about his fit on this team.

The “hate” was overwhelming,  and highly overrated.

I never said he was a “fix all” .. feel free to go through my posts.

My fixation, perhaps a bit of fantasy for you.

I said he would be the perfect grab to finish the season with,.  “Low risk, low money, high reward”.

Help.    Not a fix.  Filled a hole as a physical ppg Power Forward.

We could have reached the trade deadline and moved him or some one else if we were comfortable with him.

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL

We might as well get Jake and Leipsic back too

There's a reason his old teamates threw his clothes in the shower.

I dont know Hertl from a hole in the wall... I wouldnt even recognize him if I saw him at a restuarant. But if he says Kane is bad, I believe him. Players dont go to management unless there is a real issue.

Kane seems like the Anotnio Brown of the NHL.  It wouldnt surprise me if we find out later that he needs psychological help

I get bankruptcy.  Some guys have spending issues.  

He took out a billboard in Times Square to tell his GF how much he loves her

Weve seen the pic in Vegas hotel with stacks of bills

We've seen him accused of gambling problems. 

Who pays his gifrlfriend to get an abortion...TWICE?  And then rescinds the offer?

Who fakes COVID passports?

The fact that there's been an issue every team he's been on tells me the problem is very simple.  There's only one common denominator.  That is Kane himself.

Ferris Wheel GIF

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

No .

People were more sure than “skeptical” about his fit on this team.

The “hate” was overwhelming,  and highly overrated.

I never said he was a “fix all” .. feel free to go through my posts.

My fixation, perhaps a bit of fantasy for you.

I said he would be the perfect grab to finish the season with,.  “Low risk, low money, high reward”.

Help.    Not a fix.  Filled a hole as a physical ppg Power Forward.

We could have reached the trade deadline and moved him or some one else if we were comfortable with him.

If he was having issues with a second team in a year it is laughable to think he’s moveable at the deadline. Your brushing off his many refld flags as non issues is completely disingenuous and not based on reality. Wadr. 

24 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If he was having issues with a second team in a year it is laughable to think he’s moveable at the deadline. Your brushing off his many refld flags as non issues is completely disingenuous and not based on reality. Wadr. 

..  and Holland ?  That’s who your actually addressing after the fact right?

There have been convicted criminals who have been able to play in this league..

no problem.

“red flag” issues about “team cancer” don’t wave because he is, and always has contributed on the ice in a positive way.

Thats what counts,. Not gold stars or Cub Scout badges.

All sports have players that have directly or indirectly brought attention to themselves, whether it’s warranted or not.

Some a lot worse than Kane.

Kane is, and was when in limbo, a low risk , high reward signing for any team.

Less than half a regular season remaining when he went to the Oilers.

Hollands move is paying back..  it was an easy move..  A no brainer.

Some get stuck on ethics.

I see what takes place on ice.

I would have liked to have seen him here.. 

I wish him well..

UFA this season ending. . hmmm

Weve had this conversation.  Right?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1