The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I guess it depends on who is available as a UFA and if they will accept a one-year deal.  The players taking a one-year deal are the leftover ones who can't get a long-term contract.  How many of those are available this year?  We will see.  Chicago needs $20 million just to hit the cap floor.  Will Bedard be happy with Chicago if they just fill the roster with a bunch of plugs?  Seems to me that they will have some responsibility here to respect Bedard and not just make him suffer for the next 5 years.  I mean do they want to keep him long term or do they want to force him to pull a Tkachuk?

We can 'help' Chicago hitting the cap floor with Myers or OEL :ph34r:

On a side note...

I seem to remember cap issues coming up most seasons under Benning, and yet somehow it was never a problem, when the season started....

Maybe, just maybe there is a plan somewhere :)

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

13 minutes ago, spook007 said:

We can 'help' Chicago hitting the cap floor with Myers or OEL :ph34r:

On a side note...

I seem to remember cap issues coming up most seasons under Benning, and yet somehow it was never a problem, when the season started....

Maybe, just maybe there is a plan somewhere :)

Spook, at the end of the day the one scenario that hasn't been brought up is for the Canucks to do nothing.  They will be fully cap compliant by simply doing nothing.  It's not ideal, but maybe the plan is to sign Petey to his 8 year extension in the summer so he's locked up, and then just roll with what we got for a year.

If things don't work out then we can make some trades at the deadline to collect more assets.  Summer of 2024 we will have millions in cap space.  Myers, Beau and Pearson are off the books, the cap will go up by probably $5-6 million.  That gives us close to $20 million in cap space.  If OEL doesn't get back to his old self then we can buy him out too.  So another $5 million in cap space.

I'm almost inclined just to do nothing really.  Let the cap situation sort itself out by doing nothing but letting contracts expire.  As long as Petey signs his extension we are good really.  Just tell me, I mean him, that we need to suffer for one more year...

If Benning followed this advice in the summer of 2021 we wouldn't be in this mess right now...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Spook, at the end of the day the one scenario that hasn't been brought up is for the Canucks to do nothing.  They will be fully cap compliant by simply doing nothing.  It's not ideal, but maybe the plan is to sign Petey to his 8 year extension in the summer so he's locked up, and then just roll with what we got for a year.

If things don't work out then we can make some trades at the deadline to collect more assets.  Summer of 2024 we will have millions in cap space.  Myers, Beau and Pearson are off the books, the cap will go up by probably $5-6 million.  That gives us close to $20 million in cap space.  If OEL doesn't get back to his old self then we can buy him out too.  So another $5 million in cap space.

I'm almost inclined just to do nothing really.  Let the cap situation sort itself out by doing nothing but letting contracts expire.  As long as Petey signs his extension we are good really.  Just tell me, I mean him, that we need to suffer for one more year...

If Benning followed this advice in the summer of 2021 we wouldn't be in this mess right now...

That's just it... 

I think, that is the most likely outcome, unless an unexpected opportunity presents itself, in which case they may change direction.

If they can swap a winger for a 3C a 'heavier' winger, they may do so, but DON'T make moves that will hamper the long term directions.

The OEL move for 3 almost expiring contracts was a bad move, and it was hard to understand, baring in mind, we had our future no 1 LHD man.

(Getting a top 4 rhd would have made more sense, if they were going to go down that route), but in general doing nothing, would have given them all the flexibility in the world to pick and choose + a great pick.

I find it amusing, there are so many, that think a GM with the biggest front office in history and the backing of a POH with god knows how many years experience, doesn't have a plan for being cap compliant. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That is pretty much what have been saying. Most realistic thing with our D is waiting out the situation. keep Myers’ cap room for Pettey and Hronek. 
Don’t sign any big deals this off-season, don’t trade pics for anymore players looking at big contracts. 
I do think this team is open to big changes but just not sure they can make them without giving up already thin futures. 

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That is pretty much what have been saying. Most realistic thing with our D is waiting out the situation. keep Myers’ cap room for Pettey and Hronek. 
Don’t sign any big deals this off-season, don’t trade pics for anymore players looking at big contracts. 
I do think this team is open to big changes but just not sure they can make them without giving up already thin futures. 

All we need to remain compliant is have Poolman and Pearson start on LTIR, right?

what implications would that have on our RFAs?

Höglander, Hirose, Dermott and Bear?

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd rather go into the next season with largely the same group than hamstring ourselves by giving up assets to dump players, we need futures as well and it's not as if the Canucks are going to be contenders next season. The more frequently this organization gives up 1st and 2nd round picks the uglier it's likely to look as Hughes and Pettersson trek towards their later 20's. 

We've already done this song and dance once before, we could have waited on Beagle, Eriksson, and Roussel and had our high pick and open cap space but we opted for OEL and Garland. I'd rather not see us try and fast track things again. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I think a lot of this type of stuff is smoke. Boeser and Garland are overpaid sure, but they are quality NHL players who are supposedly hitting their "prime" years. It's not like they're 33 and have 3 years left on their contracts and simply just can't play.

Teams will be willing to make a "hockey trade" and take a chance on these types of players. 

If I'm the Canucks I'm trading both Boeser and Garland this summer. We need to be cheap on the wings and invest our money up the middle and on our top 4 defence. 

Beauvillier-Petey-Kuzy 

Mikheyev-Miller-Hoglander

I'm trading Boeser for free.  If someone wants to send a contract back, then looking for a 2nd round pick back. 

Garland will cost 2 x 3rd round picks. He is a younger and cheaper version of Bjorkstrand from last summer. He's turned out pretty good for Seattle. Someone will be getting a great winger in Garly who is just hitting his prime. 

So yeah, I'd trade both as well, but not gonna just give them away for free. 

15 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

All we need to remain compliant is have Poolman and Pearson start on LTIR, right?

what implications would that have on our RFAs?

Höglander, Hirose, Dermott and Bear?

We can be cap complaint even if Poolman is on the roster.  The one issue is with Pearson.  However, if Pearson refuses to go on LTIR we could simply waive him and send him to Abby.  That should put us under the $83.5 million threshold...

As for the RFA's, Hirose can stay in Abby, and Hoglander can replace Studnicka in the lineup and we can waive Studnicka.  With Bear, more than likely we let him walk or try and flip him for a pick.  It's not ideal, but it gets us cap compliant and we can figure things out next summer...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd rather go into the next season with largely the same group than hamstring ourselves by giving up assets to dump players, we need futures as well and it's not as if the Canucks are going to be contenders next season. The more frequently this organization gives up 1st and 2nd round picks the uglier it's likely to look as Hughes and Pettersson trek towards their later 20's. 

We've already done this song and dance once before, we could have waited on Beagle, Eriksson, and Roussel and had our high pick and open cap space but we opted for OEL and Garland. I'd rather not see us try and fast track things again. 

Well put, we have made our addition for next year already in Filip Hronek. 

We gotta chill out and see what this team can do under Tocchet, Foote, and Gonchar with a fresh start. Early returns were good. 

We are one year away from a lot more money falling off the books. Boeser will be much more tradeable too with only one year left. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We can be cap complaint even if Poolman is on the roster.  The one issue is with Pearson.  However, if Pearson refuses to go on LTIR we could simply waive him and send him to Abby.  That should put under the $83.5 million threshold...

As for the RFA's, Hirose can stay in Abby, and Hoglander can replace Studnicka in the lineup and we can waive Studnicka.  With Bear, more than likely we let him walk or try and flip him for a pick.  It's not ideal, but it gets us cap compliant and we can figure things out next summer...

Pearson won't have a choice, he's simply not healthy yet. LTIR-bound... 

To answer @Kenny Powers question though, if we are using LTIR, then we are unable to bank any cap space next year.  

Being able to get under the cap despite the LTIR players would allow us to start the year with something small like let's say 500k of space, and that would become closer to 5 million of cap space by the end of the year

year.  

In LTIR, there is no accumulation of cap space throughout the season. 

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Well put, we have made our addition for next year already in Filip Hronek. 

We gotta chill out and see what this team can do under Tocchet, Foote, and Gonchar with a fresh start. Early returns were good. 

We are one year away from a lot more money falling off the books. Boeser will be much more tradeable too with only one year left. 

Garland would be easier to move with less term on his deal as well. Management needs to just be willing to play the waiting game, given the end results of the last couple seasons even just being in the mix as a fringe playoff team would be considered progression next season. 

If they pull out all the stops trying to cut cap by giving up assets to try and build a cup contender in the short term it'll likely just result in longer term pain. Management can blow smoke about contention out their asses all they want but I don't even want to hear about contention until this franchise can string together a few playoff appearances first. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I agree.  If this was a 2-3 year fix I would think differently, but at the end of the day if we wait jus the one year we free up almost $20 million in cap space, and we can use that money for the Petey and Hronek extensions and still have millions in cap space available to upgrade the roster.  Also, Boeser and Garland may be more tradeable next summer when the cap goes up and hopefully if they are playing better.  Who knows, maybe Poolman makes a comeback and he can play with Hughes.  If not, we can buy him out next summer.  Same with OEL.  If he is not back to his old ways, we can buy him too...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Garland would be easier to move with less term on his deal as well. Management needs to just be willing to play the waiting game, given the end results of the last couple seasons even just being in the mix as a fringe playoff team would be considered progression next season. 

If they pull out all the stops trying to cut cap by giving up assets to try and build a cup contender in the short term it'll likely just result in longer term pain. Management can blow smoke about contention out their asses all they want but I don't even want to hear about contention until this franchise can string together a few playoff appearances first. 

Well to be fair, teams like Florida, Islanders, Calgary, and LA Kings all thought they were contenders, even though they barely made (or missed) the playoffs. 

Almost impossible to find teams that make the playoffs that don't fancy themselves a contender. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think with a fully healthy Demko and with Hronek in the lineup from day one, we should be a much better team.  Kuzmenko still has another level to get to and Petey and Hughes as well.  Podkolzin and Hoglander could make a step up as well.  Maybe Kravtsov comes to play and is a force to.  Plus a fully healthy Mikheyev with two good knees should help Petey and Kuzy on the top line.  All in all, we still have alot of progress we can make with no further lineup changes.  And if OEL suddenly looks like he's 25 again then that would be like Manna from heaven.

Alot of what if's there, but the potential to be a playoff team with the current lineup and no changes is still possible...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  If this was a 2-3 year fix I would think differently, but at the end of the day if we wait jus the one year we free up almost $20 million in cap space, and we can use that money for the Petey and Hronek extensions and still have millions in cap space available to upgrade the roster.  Also, Boeser and Garland may be more tradeable next summer when the cap goes up and hopefully if they are playing better.  Who knows, maybe Poolman makes a comeback and he can play with Hughes.  If not, we can buy him out next summer.  Same with OEL.  If he is not back to his old ways, we can buy him too...

For sure, just waiting makes so much sense.

It's not flashy and it doesn't sell tickets but hey, we're pretty used to management trying to sell hope at this point. Hopefully they're planning for the big picture as opposed to being driven by short-term ego. JR ain't a young man, turning the Canucks around was always going to take a while, it'll likely be a process that outlasts his being Canucks management. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Well to be fair, teams like Florida, Islanders, Calgary, and LA Kings all thought they were contenders, even though they barely made (or missed) the playoffs. 

Almost impossible to find teams that make the playoffs that don't fancy themselves a contender. 

Florida was last season's presidents trophy winner, they aren't your typical 8 seed. Calgary would likely be a playoff team if not for their being abysmal this season when it came to one goal games and overtime. The Isles and Kings? I could maybe see Isles management seeing themselves that way but that doesn't align with what we've heard from Kings management the last couple years. 

I don't subscribe to the "get in and anything can happen" bit though. If you look at the cup winners over the past decade and a bit it almost never works out that way. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I think with a fully healthy Demko and with Hronek in the lineup from day one, we should be a much better team.  Kuzmenko still has another level to get to and Petey and Hughes as well.  Podkolzin and Hoglander could make a step up as well.  Maybe Kravtsov comes to play and is a force to.  Plus a fully healthy Mikheyev with two good knees should help Petey and Kuzy on the top line.  All in all, we still have alot of progress we can make with no further lineup changes.  And if OEL suddenly looks like he's 25 again then that would be like Manna from heaven.

Alot of what if's there, but the potential to be a playoff team with the current lineup and no changes is still possible...

Possibly with Demko and Hronek, although I'm gonna be more conservative regarding my expectations of Hronek til we actually see what he can do on a regular basis. 

I'd be surprised if Kuzmenko has another level, more likely he hovers close to what he's already done or a bit less imo. Which isn't anything to sneeze at but I don't really expect more. Not sure what to expect from Podz, he's kind of stalled a bit. Hoglander looked good in Abbotsford but who knows. I don't expect much from Kravtsov, didn't really see a ton from him this season. We'll see.

A healthy Mikheyev helps though, certainly. This team has the pieces in place as is to score, they showed they can do that this year, the question is whether they can defend with largely the same D core. 

I was saying the Canucks are likely a fringe playoff team going into this past season, that's about where I have us pegged next season. 

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yep, we really haven’t experienced what Hronek and Mikheyev will add to this team yet. They will effectively be off-season additions.

• Cheers 2

98 pts in 158 games in his last last 2 seasons with us

So he's not a slug to trade off

Plus he's a energizer when he's on his game. 

I think he didn't have the best year last year. 

He will bounce back this year I think. 

• Like 1