The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion- garland and Miller trades.

I think we could see several players moved. If they do it right they could bring in young NHL player in each deal plus futures. They could gain cap flexibility and add as much as three pieces for each player. 

Yes this could set us back for a couple of years but the organization could come out of it stronger than ever.

If you could get close to 3 pieces per for Meyers, Miller , Garland and Boeser you will set them up.

Here’s what I was looking at just now seeing what each player being on the block and could be moved could get:

Miller: 1st, NHL ready player, good prospect

Garland: 2-3 prospects and a pick (depending on who the prospects are)

Motte: Pick and/or prospect

Pearson: Pick and/or prospect

Dickenson: Pick

Halak: Pick

Freed up cap space along with the Luongo penalty going away, adds up to just over $21.8 million. Guys like Miller and Garland especially have to get hauls if we’re going to move either, or both. 

1 hour ago, hero11 said:

If Canucks can trade away Garland, Pearson, Poolman and Dickenson  that would free up $14-$15 million in cap space.

Valuable cap space!

Any pieces coming back would be a bonus.

Agree. How about Demko, Hughes, and Pettersson? That's another 20 million in cap space = WIN.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Since when did just over 13 become 14-15? More to the point you'd have 4 holes you'd need to fill so that's at least 4 million back on the cap. All in you're probably left with less than 9 million and the team would be worse. Cap space is useful, but I'd want an actual return for Garland at least.

These people are competing for Stanley Cap. Team with the lowest cap winzz.

50 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

@mods @-DLC- @-SN- Why does this thread exist? Is this not redundant and silly? There are threads already created right on the top of the page.

image.thumb.png.c70d05f1b2bb8fa8771d604a53cdacc5.png

Until Miller gets traded and we've lost our nervosa over keeping or losing what we have this will persist.    Plus i'm sure JB is still looking at what he should have done so let's keep him happy. 

Sounds like they are doing their due diligence to ascertain the value  of their payers. How do you find the value of something without actually selling it ? You survey the market of potential buyers. Even if you don't make a trade(s) you at least come away with some information.

If JR wants a mini rebuild how about this:

Miller for Lafrenniere and a 1st.

Brock to Minny for Carson Lambos and a 1st (or 2nd).

Both are going to be late 1sts anyway.

Lafrenniere replaces Brock on the wing, Lambos is a great future left 2 way defender to replace OEL and support Hughes and a couple of late 1st round picks to stack our shelves. 

On 1/30/2022 at 5:08 PM, Paul-walker said:

With deadline just around corner teams are swirling. Teams are wanting miller and we traded a first round pick, 3rd and a goalie for a project player when we picked him up he was a 3rd line guy. Now that he is leading scorer canucks should be asking for a lot more, like another top scorer from another team or top d man. If teams can’t offer that then we shouldn’t trade him. As for garland he’s been another great addition and we paid a kings ransom for him and oel and oel is paid way too much so if we trade garland then again we need a kings random coming back. A couple picks is nothing. If we are looking for cap relief I said trade Myers or Pearson. What do u think?

Any deal involving Miller has to be under the assumption that he would be going to a contender.

JR has made it clear he wants to concentrate on prospects and picks and rumor has it, he wants, at least, three blue-chip pieces.

If he stays true to this philosophy, there are very few teams with the assets to trade.

I'm sure JR would also prefer a trade to the east rather then having to face him multiple times a season if he were to stay in the west.

So who has the pieces?

1. New York Rangers

Braden Schneider, Brennan Othmann, 2 first round picks- A deal that fills all of JR's priorities. 

Braden Schneider, imo, makes a great partner for QH. Brennan Othmann looks to be trending as a top six LW that could fit well with Petey and Boeser.

For a bad team, one unprotected first would be satisfactory but, New York, with the addition of Miller becomes a cup favorite, making their draft picks low, so yes, I want two.

2. Minnesota Wild

Mathew Boldy, Ryan O'Rourke, 2 firsts, and Jordan Greenway

Minnesota is one of the teams we will be chasing to win. Therefore, they have to pay a steeper price. 

Boldy is another LWer that would fit well with Petey and Boeser. O'Rourke is a physical defender who's not afraid to throw down. Greenway is an experienced, sizey winger and, again we get two bottom half first rounders.

Either one of these deals, I would have a pretty tough time saying no to.

On 1/31/2022 at 4:54 PM, Crabcakes said:

There are a couple of things that Rutherford has been talking about

1. cap space
  2. filling holes in the line up

I think that long term, they're heavy on forwards and light on D.  I don't think that this is unusual.  

I can't tell which he would address first but he has said that cap space give a team the flexibility to make deals.  So maybe that's what they'll try to do first.  Cap flexibility.  Ironic that Benning was stuck on maxing out his use of the cap.

Does that make Pearson, Hamonic & Myers 1st cab off the rank?

Even if the return ain't great.  These guys have the lowest productivity (and future value) in comparison to cap. 

Would give us felxibility to take on or retain cap to make a bigger deal for Miller or Garland, or (???) work!

• Cheers 1