The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Feb. 17, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Well......That 5th string goalie posted a 1.59 GAA and .958 save percentage and played lights out. He received almost no goal support in every game other than the win in Winnipeg. If you're going to say that having this 5th string goalie is the reason we lost, at least make sure he played poorly or was the reason they lost. The reason they lost is they couldn't score goals - not his fault. 

Never said it was, on the contrary...

nevertheless half the team (nearly was missing), and that had a massive influence in the outcome...

Again, as I said before, if the results are the same over the next 6-10 games yes than they are toast, but leat just see that be the case before we burn the house down...

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

the PP is stationary it have 0 movement everyone is just passing back and forth between stationary guys.. other team just stand there in their formation and take away all the shooting lane or block all the shots.. the guy with the puck would move a couple feet.. the guys without the puck just stands there like a pylon.. pretty easy to predict where the puck is going.. the pk is even worse.. can't win a draw can't clear the puck over commits. i have no interest in seeing what this team can do in the playoff if they make it coz we all already know how it'll end.. don't care about the anything can happen narrative.. we know exactly what will happen with a PP and PK like that in the playoff. Demko will stand on his head like the vegas series and we'll lose coz our special team blows. this team needs personel change on the ice bad. 

Maybe they need to change up PP1 and PP2, along with firing King(?).

PP1 = Pearson Miller EP Hogz OEL

PP2 = Boeser Bo Podz Garland Hughes

Keep alternating the PP starts so if one unit doesn’t eat up all the PP time.

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

Maybe they need to change up PP1 and PP2, along with firing King(?).

PP1 = Pearson Miller EP Hogz OEL

PP2 = Boeser Bo Podz Garland Hughes

Keep alternating the PP starts so if one unit doesn’t eat up all the PP time.

they need to tell the ppl on the PP to move otherwise it doesnt matter who you put on the pp.. like other than the defenseman on the last man on the PP the players on the ice shouldn't be stapled to 1 area on the ice.. they can rotate and switch spot and constantly be moving to create confusion.. our PP is super easy to defend coz the players without the puck hardly moves.. so the defense doesn't really need to do much coz they know exactly where the players are and in the perfect position to block shots or pass.. like if the players actually move.. then the defenseman thought he was there ready to block shot but really he's 6 inches to the left or right he's no longer in the right position to block the shot from the 1 timer etc.

also not a fan of having 3 centerman on pp1 and having no centerman on pp2.. it's almost like they are giving up posession of the puck before the puck drop.. faceoff in the offensive zone.. no centerman.. easy win for the other team easy clear waste another 20sec

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

We have to get those special teams working, before we can compete with the big boys................that is plain and simple. It is what is costing us the most, and what takes us down in the playoffs, if we don't.

I wonder how the decreased penalties called  in the playoffs affect us as we are pretty solid 5 on 5.

Playoff reffing might actually be advantageous? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

They are 7-6-3 in their last 16, the Bruce bump is over and was a long time ago now. We have a last place penalty kill, 21st place powerplay which has been terrible as of late. Have missed the playoff 6 of 7 years and likely 2 years in a row now, are 26th in goals for and struggle mightily with consistency. 

I'm not trying to be obtuse or disrespectful - but did you actually insinuate that Poolman coming back soon will be a boost to this team??? Poolman might not even start again because he's being outplayed by Burroughs who makes 1/3 of what he does and Schenn who also makes 1/3 of what Poolman does. Saying Sutter and Poolman coming back will boost this team is kind of insane, Sutter isn't even coming back this year and is a free agent at season's end. The Canucks will not be re--signing him. This is just rose colored glasses man....It's cool you're optimistic and positive but the reason's you stated aren't even logical. 

You kind of cherry picked the starting point of  your stat beginning with the toughest road trip of the season while we were also decimated with covid.

Even then we played well in some of those losses. 

Conversely, I can also say they are 5-2-1 in their last 8 games as they started to get healthy again.... 

If they beat Anaheim and Seattle, theyll be 7-2-1 in their last 10.

That's why i am inclined to look at the full 32 games under BB. 

To attribute it to merely a coaching bump means you havent watched this team closely enough to see a drastic difference in their play, systems etc. 

They are night and day different between TG and BB

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Hey i agree with this.   But let's just see how it goes.   We keep winning the week and Miller keeps scoring a couple things happen and both are benefiting the long run.     I'm just glad they haven't brought their own big ego's into it, and are taking their time before doing anything drastic.

Edit:  When I say big ego's, i mean not putting their stamps on the team right away.   Teams played well under Bruce, both at the beginning and during their tough part of the schedule with a lot of guys missing. So let's just see.  I doubt we make the playoffs too.   So does everyone.   But i've seen it happen before - and if we do - well who would want to play us in the first round?!    Hope it's CAL really IF it happens, but Vegas would be fine too. 

LA i believe is on a 94 pt pace. 

If Canucks go 10-4 in their next 14 heading into TDL (which i think is very doable) , they'll be at a 92 pt pace. 

Thats pretty close and we definitely have a good chance. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Never said it was, on the contrary...

nevertheless half the team (nearly was missing), and that had a massive influence in the outcome...

Again, as I said before, if the results are the same over the next 6-10 games yes than they are toast, but leat just see that be the case before we burn the house down...

Well, you mentioned one of the reasons for the struggles was a 5th string goalie....so that's kind of insinuating he was part of the problem, no?

Edited by Harold Drunken

36 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

You kind of cherry picked the starting point of  your stat beginning with the toughest road trip of the season while we were also decimated with covid.

Even then we played well in some of those losses. 

Conversely, I can also say they are 5-2-1 in their last 8 games as they started to get healthy again.... 

If they beat Anaheim and Seattle, theyll be 7-2-1 in their last 10.

That's why i am inclined to look at the full 32 games under BB. 

To attribute it to merely a coaching bump means you havent watched this team closely enough to see a drastic difference in their play, systems etc. 

They are night and day different between TG and BB

You're kinda just deflecting now and changing subjects. 

Maybe explain to me how Getting Poolman back in the lineup will help. And explain how getting Sutter back will help, a player who hasn't played all season and will be a free agent this summer and will not be back with the team. 

There is zero evidence so far this season to say "this is for sure a playoff team".. what's this based on. And don't say "If Bruce was the coach from the beginning it would be different" because nobody knows that. You are looking at the record only, know how or why they won the games they've won. I've mentioned many times this team has indeed played better under BB, but that doesn't mean they are a playoff team and the bar was so low to begin with. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Vintage 1