The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Jacob Chychrun as a TDL acquisition

Odd.

3 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Yes  

What if we moved boeser and/or garland for those prospects and picks? Then used those assets to acquire chick. 

Then picked up Ufa domi in the offseason? 

Not sure they’d return enough to not still gut our future moving forward. Only really a Miller trade could bring the quality of assets without creating more of a whole.

We wouldn’t really have the cap for domi unless we traded two higher cap guys out I reckon. 

50 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Personally, I think Arizona's plan for the next couple of seasons is to run as close to the cap floor as humanly possible, without going under it.

Considering they have a tentative agreement to move into a 5,000 seat arena while they figure out if they can get enough support on board to build another arena, I can't see them being willing to do anything more than bare minimum.

For Chychrun, they won't want to take players back in cap unless they are on cheap contracts for the next couple of years.

Hoglander would probably interest them as well as potentially Dickinson, if the Canucks were willing to retain salary, as they will need to come out to less salary that they are spending now.

My guess would be that they would be looking for (not endorsing this, just my guess), Hoglander, Dickinson, Klimovich, 2nd round pick 2023 for Chychrun. I think that would be the type of package that they would be looking for in terms of overall value.

The ask per Marek is 1st round pick + top end prospect + young roster player.  Could be a 4th piece like a 2nd round pick based on the quality of the prospect.

Dickinson feels like a cap dump so he would increase the cost.   There's a reason why Friedman has long said that he doesn't think Vancouver can make the deal.

Edited by mll

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I thought it was reported early that they were looking for like 4 pieces. Solid young roster player, a 1st and two high end prospects. 

I guess we COULD move assets from a Miller trade to meet that demand...

Miller for Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, 1st

then...

Chychrun for Chytil, Rathbone, Hoglander, 1st (NYR)

Just now, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

This is a fringe playoff team, I think we should just keep stocking up picks and building. Honestly the smartest thing to do with a new regime. 

Don't break the bank for a star player. 

Benning f*cked himself and the team over with the free agent signings he made and now this is where we find ourselves in. Against the cap and a very average team.

We'd likely be giving up picks plus a top 6 forward and as sad as it is, we can't afford that right now.

There may be a way to do both though.

Depending on what is offered in a Miller trade we could potentially acquire Chychrun and have assets leftover to show for it.

For Example:

To New York:

Miller

To Van:

Schneider 

Chytill

Kravstov

1st round pick 22

To Arizona

Chytil

Rathbone

DiPietro

1st round pick 22 (New York)

Obviously the return on Miller might be way off but if we could get a package like that we essentially turn Miller into Chychrun, Schneider, and Kravstov. That’s a hell of a return. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

There may be a way to do both though.

Depending on what is offered in a Miller trade we could potentially acquire Chychrun and have assets leftover to show for it.

For Example:

To New York:

Miller

To Van:

Schneider 

Chytill

Kravstov

1st round pick 22

To Arizona

Chytil

Rathbone

DiPietro

1st round pick 22 (New York)

Obviously the return on Miller might be way off but if we could get a package like that we essentially turn Miller into Chychrun, Schneider, and Kravstov. That’s a hell of a return. 

NYR are apparently interested in Chychrun - they can put that package together themselves if all it takes is to add Rathbone and DiPietro.  

2 minutes ago, mll said:

The ask per Marek is 1st round pick + top end prospect + young roster player.  Could be a 4th piece like a 2nd round pick based on the quality of the prospect.

Dickinson feels like a cap dump so he would increase the cost.   There's a reason why Friedman has long said that he doesn't think Vancouver can make the deal.

That’s like. 

One of Pod/Hog

a 1st

Rathbone 

Klimovich

I feel like other teams could offer better. 

Like you said any cap dumps would raise the price. 

1 minute ago, mll said:

Personally, I don’t think we should make a deal based on what it’s reported that they are asking. Adding in Dickinson at retained salary is based on the fact that they still need to ice a lineup, and that would give them a competent player at controlled costs for a few years.

I don’t think that we are willing, or should be willing, to move the non-salary assets that Arizona really wants right now.

1 minute ago, mll said:

NYR are apparently interested in Chychrun - they can put that package together themselves if all it takes is to add Rathbone and DiPietro.  

Wouldn’t a deal with the Rags warrant K.Miller heading there? That alone is better than what we could offer. 

2 minutes ago, mll said:

They also need scoring to compete with Florida and Tampa.

It depends which they value more.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Wouldn’t a deal with the Rags warrant K.Miller heading there? That alone is better than what we could offer. 

It all depends on what NYR wants more... Miller or Chychrun.  They have the assets to acquire anybody on the trade board for the trade deadline, so it's really upto them.

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I guess we COULD move assets from a Miller trade to meet that demand...

Miller for Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, 1st

then...

Chychrun for Chytil, Rathbone, Hoglander, 1st (NYR)

I mean sure but I would rather go after Crouse if he’s made available to help fill some of the aspects we need and that we will miss physicality speaking when Millers gone. 

He’s probably come cheaper than Chychrun if made available but I haven’t seen or heard anything in regards to that. 

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Personally, I don’t think we should make a deal based on what it’s reported that they are asking. Adding in Dickinson at retained salary is based on the fact that they still need to ice a lineup, and that would give them a competent player at controlled costs for a few years.

I don’t think that we are willing, or should be willing, to move the non-salary assets that Arizona really wants right now.

Arizona is in a tear down rebuild.  Sounds like their strategy is to tank for a few years.  

Could see Tampa trying to off-load the Seabrook contract on them and probably even willing to give up a pick.  BriseBois explained how detrimental it is to have an LTIR contract on the books when he traded Callahan's 5.8M LTIR contract - he can't be happy to have been forced to take Seabrook back but was the cost to move Johnson.  

34 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I hope they don't trade Hoglander. He's been snake bit for a while now, but eventually the flood gates will open and his confidence will grow. I think he could end up scoring 30+ goals a year. 

Love Hoglander. He is in a sophomore slump. The kid was like our 4th best player last year at forward. Things aint going his way but with work ethic is always there. I'd be trading guys like Pearson and Dickinson out before Hoglander. Plus he is cost controlled. 

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I mean sure but I would rather go after Crouse if he’s made available to help fill some of the aspects we need and that we will miss physicality speaking when Millers gone. 

He’s probably come cheaper than Chychrun if made available but I haven’t seen or heard anything in regards to that. 

Friedman says their preference is to retain Crouse.  

1 hour ago, HC20.0 said:

As someone who has gone to many Abbotsford games and has watched a lot of Klimovich, I can safely tell you Klimovich is nowhere near NHL ready right now. He needs at least another season in the AHL before getting a shot at the NHL.

This. idk why so many people put him in their projected lineups, let alone top 6. We still have no clue if he'll ever even make the NHL. 

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

This. idk why so many people put him in their projected lineups, let alone top 6. We still have no clue if he'll ever even make the NHL. 

whaaAAAA???!  TRADE HIM THEN!  TRADE HIM NOW!!  TRADE EM ALL!!!!111!1!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, mll said:

Friedman says their preference is to retain Crouse.  

I reckon then it would probably take something considerable to consider moving him. 

What are Crouse’s thoughts of the team moving forward? He’s fine sticking around? We haven’t heard otherwise so I figure he is. 

1 minute ago, mll said:

Arizona is in a tear down rebuild.  Sounds like their strategy is to tank for a few years.  

Could see Tampa trying to off-load the Seabrook contract on them and probably even willing to give up a pick.  BriseBois explained how detrimental it is to have an LTIR contract on the books when he traded Callahan's 5.8M LTIR contract - he can't be happy to have been forced to take Seabrook back but was the cost to move Johnson.  

I don't think they are even in rebuild mode yet, I think they are doing everything to effectively "Park" their team until they can find a permanent home.

They ONLY reason that makes sense for them to look at trading Chychrun right now (young, skilled player on a very reasonable contract), is that by they time they are really ready for a player like him, he might be 30 years old. I think they look at it as, if they can just keep flipping guys into high end prospects / picks for a few years, they can look at being in a position to START building, roughly 25/26 season. I think unless they get sold and moved outside of Arizona, that's their realistic timeline.

Think of it this way. They are moving into a 5,000 seat arena when they don't even have an agreement to even start construction on a new building. They have a target of where they would LIKE to build, but I don't believe that they currently have the support needed to get the project approved. If their targeted project falls through, I think they will be sold and moved somewhere else for the start of the 23/24 season, and THEN, they will start to build. Until then, I think management is under instructions to maintain the bare minimum level to be even considered an NHL franchise.

• Vintage 1