The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Not really comparable.

1.  The general perception of Jeff Petry is that he's better than Tyler Myers
2.  Montreal took salary back in a deal - something Vancouver can't really, or won't, do.  Makes a trade hard to facilitate.
3.  Pittsburgh also moved out John Marino for a cheaper player in Ty Smith.  In other words, precursory moves had to happen to make this Petry deal happen.

Again, Myers *could* be moved, but it's going to be a lot more difficult than many here might think.  I'm not wrong in saying that.

Yeah Petry brings a different game than Myers but that doesn’t discount Myers has value in an associated need to another club. I think we just have to wait and see if he’s dealt and for what before claiming that no one would see benefit in him on their roster 

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

I'm not even going to read what you wrote past "not the same thing"

Whatever fits your agenda you choose to look at. Your opinion so whatever but good luck out there! Lol

Don't have to mask your inability to read and actually comprehend what's being said behind your little jabs there, lil guy.

Hope that helps.

7 minutes ago, AV. said:

Not really comparable.

1.  The general perception of Jeff Petry is that he's better than Tyler Myers
2.  Montreal took salary back in a deal - something Vancouver can't really, or won't, do.  Makes a trade hard to facilitate.
3.  Pittsburgh also moved out John Marino for a cheaper player in Ty Smith.  In other words, precursory moves had to happen to make this Petry deal happen.

Again, Myers *could* be moved, but it's going to be a lot more difficult than many here might think.  I'm not wrong in saying that.

If Petry can be moved so can Myers and Petry is a significantly worse contract. Period. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Yeah Petry brings a different game than Myers but that doesn’t discount Myers has value in an associated need to another club. I think we just have to wait and see if he’s dealt and for what before claiming that no one would see benefit in him on their roster 

See, there lies the issue.  Everybody claims there *could* be a team with interest (and I agree, it's a possibility) but nobody seems to be able to provide a name of an actual club that might have this interest in Myers.

Kind of a proves my point, no?

1 minute ago, AV. said:

Only in Canucks Homer Land.

What about Ben Chiarot?

Duncan Keith?!?

what about a slew of other veteran Dmen who have been traded in recent years?

There’s already numerous precedent that you’re trying to argue against. That’s an uphill battle but good luck with it

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, AV. said:

Don't have to mask your inability to read and actually comprehend what's being said behind your little jabs there, lil guy.

Hope that helps.

You are a funny guy. I'll let you have this moment as clearly this is your high :lol: 

good luck out there, buddy

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If Petry can be moved so can Myers and Petry is a significantly worse contract. Period. 

The Habs have a crappy team and are tanking.  To move Petry they took back a worse player on a worse contract.  The Habs are literally trying to get worse, and doing a good job at it.  

Myers is a far better player to Petry.  But to trade him we would still have to take back a contract.  And tjat contract could be worse - longer term.  Myers in a year, when he’s a coming UFA, will have very good value at the TDL.

5 minutes ago, AV. said:

See, there lies the issue.  Everybody claims there *could* be a team with interest (and I agree, it's a possibility) but nobody seems to be able to provide a name of an actual club that might have this interest in Myers.

Kind of a proves my point, no?

No it doesn’t, because none of us are GMs and have the inside scoop on what any team is planning, not to mention a crystal ball that fortells what will transpire this coming offseason and beyond. 

Ottawa has previously expressed interest in Myers. If TOR could create space I would consider them a candidate as well.

DAL just let  Klingberg walk and they currently have 11mi to work with.

Anaheim lost Manson and may want to replace his type of profile. 

There are a number of options.

If you applied objectivity in your thinking and look around the league as the landscape changes, you’ll see there are a number of potential destinations. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And what exactly is wrong with being a Canuck fan on our home Canuck board?  We all know the Habs are a joke.  Made themselves worse on purpose.  

It's actually reverse Homer glasses. Such a hatred towards your own team you view everything and everyone else as wrong.

Literally anyone else on any team other than Toronto in their 30s, with massive term and dollar gets moved every year. BUT magically the same guy who plays 82 games, 23mins, + player... negative value because canucks. All you can do is laugh Alf.. and drink :P

• Cheers 3

35 minutes ago, RWJC said:

No it doesn’t, because none of us are GMs and have the inside scoop on what any team is planning, not to mention a crystal ball that fortells what will transpire this coming offseason and beyond. 

Ottawa has previously expressed interest in Myers. If TOR could create space I would consider them a candidate as well.

DAL just let  Klingberg walk and they currently have 11mi to work with.

Anaheim lost Manson and may want to replace his type of profile. 

There are a number of options.

If you applied objectivity in your thinking and look around the league as the landscape changes, you’ll see there are a number of potential destinations. 

Congrats on being the first person to actually provide a potential list of teams.  Not so hard, was it?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And what exactly is wrong with being a Canuck fan on our home Canuck board?  We all know the Habs are a joke.  Made themselves worse on purpose.  

Nothing wrong with being fan.  Everything wrong with letting bias get in the way of the truth, however.

Personally, Myers is fine.  Overpaid, yes, but his game is alright, all things considered.  With that said, I'm not willing to die on the same hill as my fellow fans when comparing him to Jeff Petry.  Petry has been a top pairing defenceman for years, Myers has been more of a middle pairing/top 4 guy.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Nothing wrong with being fan.  Everything wrong with letting bias get in the way of the truth, however.

Personally, Myers is fine.  Overpaid, yes, but his game is alright, all things considered.  With that said, I'm not willing to die on the same hill as my fellow fans when comparing him to Jeff Petry.  Petry has been a top pairing defenceman for years, Myers has been more of a middle pairing/top 4 guy.  

You missed the part about the Habs being a joke and trying to get worse.  

Just now, Alflives said:

You missed the part about the Habs being a joke and trying to get worse.  

Petry wanted out to return home.  Even if the Habs took a "bad" deal, it doesn't change the fact they were trying to accommodate his trade request, first and foremost.

4 minutes ago, AV. said:

Petry wanted out to return home.  Even if the Habs took a "bad" deal, it doesn't change the fact they were trying to accommodate his trade request, first and foremost.

Habs didn’t accommodate anyone.  They found a deal (one of many made this off-season) that made them worse. Some they made on purpose, like the Petry Trade, and some they did because they are stupid, like moving Romanov for Dach and choosing Slafkovsky over Wright.  Very stupid team. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Habs didn’t accommodate anyone.  They found a deal (one of many made this off-season) that made them worse. Some they made on purpose, like the Petry Trade, and some they did because they are stupid, like moving Romanov for Dach and choosing Slafkovsky over Wright.  Very stupid team. 

Moving Jeff Petry and former first-round pick Ryan Poehling to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Montreal native Mike Matheson and a 2023 fourth-round pick didn’t achieve Hughes’ main objective, which he said on multiple occasions was to gain long-term cap flexibility for the Canadiens in honouring the trade request Petry made earlier this year.  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/under-unfavourable-circumstances-hughes-lands-acceptable-petry-trade-for-canadiens/

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

So everyone agrees that rd is the position most in need of additions, but one of the moves in that direction is to trade the #1rd?

I'm a myers fan too, but we both know that fixing the right d isn't about making additions, it's about making improvements and prioritizing more sensible cap allocation.  

• Cheers 1