The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Sunday February 27 Vancouver Canucks (25-22-6) @ New York Rangers (33-14-5) at 4:30 (our time) on SNPTV and SNPAM650.

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

59 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

Thanks for the reminder. Yes that clip showed a pretty egregious penalty. What I don't recall is whether the pocketed whistles were one sided in favour of NYR, or if we got away with similar shenanigans. That was a weird time for me so I wasn't as tuned into Nucks hockey.

I don’t think any video was ever shown of said clip of Linden getting hacked down by Messier while already crawling to bench. Just radio announced. Hard to believe, considering it was game 6 of the finals, with cameras filming all areas of the ice. I don’t think CBC wanted that aired.

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Man should be a great goaltending battle. Shesterkin vs Demko, probably two of the best in their positional at this very moment.

I think this is a low scoring affair. Going to be a chess match, hope the boys are dialed in from the start.

Shesterkin played last night, so it’s likely Georgiev gets the start tonight.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Pocketed whistles is an excuse for kids in grade 3.

Changing the schedule on the other hand......

I don’t recall the schedule being changed for that seventh game. I think the extra day was always there since the set the dates for the series. It just so happened though that the extra day really helped the Rangers, as it lessened the momentum of the Canucks.

2 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I don’t think any video was ever shown of said clip of Linden getting hacked down by Messier while already crawling to bench. Just radio announced. Hard to believe, considering it was game 6 of the finals, with cameras filming all areas of the ice. I don’t think CBC wanted that aired.

As I recall, the crime happened against the near boards so there was nothing to see on the broadcast.  In 94 I think they had fewer camera's at games.

16 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

So not much has changed with this corrupt league,  makes being a fan that much harder. JR has a tough job. Let's add more muscle and win despite the league.

I assume you don't watch or suppport the league or the Canucks in any way then?

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

The League wanted the Rangers to win in 1994 and break their cup drought the same as they wanted the Bruins in 2011. 

Big US market, sponsorships, blah blah blah. Same corrupt BS then as now. 

Let the Rags take liberties with Linden to get him out of the series and even changed the schedule to give the Rangers more rest.

Some things never change. 

Messier stands over Linden and crosschecks him as he lays on the ice. No, not a crosscheck to the shoulders or even his head, he went for his chest where he knew Linden already had broken ribs. Can't even remember if he was penalized. The series Linden played that year is why he is a legend and the best to ever pull on a Canuck jersey. It is criminal that he is not involved with the team anymore. Come back Trevor!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

29 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

So not much has changed with this corrupt league,  makes being a fan that much harder. JR has a tough job. Let's add more muscle and win despite the league.

Not sure if you've noticed, but it's a double standard and we're not able to use muscle.

Just look at how Myers was penalized in our recent past...mostly just for his size and not even really using it to his full advantage. 

There have been many examples of how the book's been thrown at the Canucks for fairly innocuous plays. It's been pretty clearly handcuffing at times.

Even if we acquire those kind of players, we simply can't use them without it being a trade off.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

For those wondering why Messier is a steaming bag of poop....everyone in the building saw what he did, there's no question that "he did".

Also...this was the first part of the play...so why no penalty here? He takes Linden out when the puck is on the other side of the rink, on the boards.

THEN he crosschecks him as he's on his hands and knees. Leader? Cheater.

image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

Perhaps my memory is failing but I don't recall anything to unfair about that series--especially compared to 2011. What's the lingering beef with 94?

If I recall correctly, after Canucks took game 6 , they were on a major roll. Younger team , hungry, Trevor f’n Linden !!  Game 7 was delayed by a day because of a circus ( yes , a real circus ) at MSG. Canucks had momentum and youth over an older team ( rangers) but that extra day off gave the rangers a much needed rest.  Any other points I have missed or remembered incorrectly , please lmk.

• Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I don’t recall the schedule being changed for that seventh game. I think the extra day was always there since the set the dates for the series. It just so happened though that the extra day really helped the Rangers, as it lessened the momentum of the Canucks.

Yep my memory is most likely wrong and jaded.