The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Brock just another version of Pearson?

Rate this topic

Fen1010

Just now, Fen1010 said:

Just curious as to how other fans see him.  For me Brock has been a no show for alot of the season so I looked up his stats and compared it to Tanner, For me both are slow footed for the modern game and both can shoot and be streaky when it comes to scoring.

Basic season stats are not all that good for Brock

Brock 

49 games played 15G 15A -6  with 20 points on the Powerplay, so only 10 even strength points all year

Tanner

51 games player 11G 14A +6 with only 4 points from the powerplay, 21 5v5 points on the season.

Not into the advance stats to much, but is Brock that much better than Pearson when it comes to driving play? I don't think so.

Can Pearson shoot the puck and put up points like Boeser can, and has proven to?  

Good try, but I don’t think you’ll get many bites.  :picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

For my 11th time saying it.

I more consider Brock a goal scoring version of Jordan Eberle.

Point totals are incredibly similar at this stage of both their careers.  Both have the same foibles about their game.  Boeser just scores more overall goals.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, Fen1010 said:

No looking for bites, just curious. I don't see anything that special about Brock especially with his next contract due. 

Your boat just sank.  Boeser would be the best player on the Loser Leafs.  Or is it the Loser Flames that’s your team?  

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

Perhaps numbers wise they may be comparable, but stylistically, I think they are very different players.

I associate Pearson with a heavier game, good along the walls, stands up for teammates if he really needs to, far superior defensively. I also do think he has a very underrated shot, especially when he does a half slapper coming off the wing.

I do think Boeser's overall hockey IQ is better. I do think he has become better in aspects of skating and defensive work, but I do wonder about his work ethic time to time.

Perception would probably be that Boeser is a purely offensive player where he has ability to provide more two way ability, and lots of people may peg Pearson as a grinder with some hands, but he does provide decent depth offensively. I don't think I would say they are similar players though. They provide unique traits.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

He's a shooter through and through. He's much better overall than Pearson.

That being said, I get why you might think he's not as good given he does somewhat lack in other departments. I wouldn't be opposed to him being traded but I also wouldn't be opposed to him staying over Pearson as he is a good complementary piece compared with Pearson. Where Pearson's likely at his peak, Boeser also may have more in him.

Also keep in mind Boeser and Pearson have different roles really.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Your boat just sank.  Boeser would be the best player on the Loser Leafs.  Or is it the Loser Flames that’s your team?  

Seriously Alfie? Best player on those teams? Get real, he isn't even the best on the Nucks. Put the bottle down 

Edited by Fen1010
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Fen1010 said:

Just curious as to how other fans see him.  For me Brock has been a no show for alot of the season so I looked up his stats and compared it to Tanner, For me both are slow footed for the modern game and both can shoot and be streaky when it comes to scoring.

Basic season stats are not all that good for Brock

Brock 

49 games played 15G 15A -6  with 20 points on the Powerplay, so only 10 even strength points all year

Tanner

51 games player 11G 14A +6 with only 4 points from the powerplay, 21 5v5 points on the season.

Not into the advance stats to much, but is Brock that much better than Pearson when it comes to driving play? I don't think so.

No brock is another version of your non. Except with better hair

5 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Boeser is on pace for 50 points in a down year.

He has the talent to be a consistent point producing top-6er, Pearson does not.

I don't see how they are comparable other than them both being wingers.

That is why I asked the question. I just don't see much out of Brock, If he didn't get all that powerplay time to pad his stats, would he be that much better? I am not convinced

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 2

19 minutes ago, Fen1010 said:

That is why I asked the question. I just don't see much out of Brock, If he didn't get all that powerplay time to pad his stats, would he be that much better? I am not convinced

Why would he not get powerplay time? If you are paying someone to produce offense, you put them on the powerplay.

Yes, Boeser does not do much outside of producing points. So when he's not producing, he appears to be completely useless.

He's a flawed player, but will also be paid like one. 6.5~ mil for 60 points these days is about right.

If your question is: should we be willing to move on from him? The answer is absolutely yes given the right circumstances. There are only 3 untouchables on this team and he definitely ain't one of them.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I thought you didn't like soft slow players Alf. 

Brock is one of the tops in the league in board battles.  He’s not soft.  Soft is any and all Loser Leafs and their Loser fans, who all reside in a Loser city.  :towel:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Brock is one of the tops in the league in board battles.  He’s not soft.  Soft is any and all Loser Leafs and their Loser fans, who all reside in a Loser city.  :towel:

No he is not. He just isn't thats a brutally flawed stat. He's 52% and he's a spot picker. You make it sound like hes out there avidly getting involved in board battles left and right. I would argue he's near the bottom of the league in actual board battles actually participated in. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

No he is not. He just isn't thats a brutally flawed stat. He's 52% and he's a spot picker. You make it sound like hes out there avidly getting involved in board battles left and right. I would argue he's near the bottom of the league in actual board battles actually participated in. 

Brock is tops of the league in battles and winning pucks.  That’s a fact.  Another fact is Leafs are Losers, so are their fans, and so is their city.   Bess is better in battles than any loser Leaf.  Fact.  

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Brock is tops of the league in battles and winning pucks.  That’s a fact.  Another fact is Leafs are Losers, so are their fans, and so is their city.   Bess is better in battles than any loser Leaf.  Fact.  

Show me the stats to back up your claim.

Whats his battle count. its easy to claim being tops in the league if you only enter 3 board battles all season and win 2. Does that make you better than the guy with 300 won board battles of 500 participated in because youre win %age is better. 

Bess does not battle. Pearson battles Miller battles. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2