The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Message from the top?

Rate this topic

LTC123

Good listen on Jets radio today (yes, I live in Winnipeg)

Comparing VAN to WIN:  Both are "just about" to make the playoffs.  Stand pat or make a change.

JT Miller is a guy you trade for in order to make the playoffs and to succeed there.  We have JT Miller.   Andrew Copp is a UFA and probably won't resign in WIN...could be had for picks.

If management DOES make a move for (Miller, Myers, Boeser), what message does that send to the team?  They're almost there and they sell for picks and the future?  How demoralizing does that become? 

Now, if management has an open and honest meeting with players and says, "you know, we're trading XXX for picks.  But we have faith that the remaining team can step up, fill up those minutes, and still make the playoffs".   Does the team respond differently? 

How does this affect a player's/teams psyche? If at all?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LTC123 said:

Comparing VAN to WIN:  Both are "just about" to make the playoffs.  Stand pat or make a change.

JT Miller is a guy you trade for in order to make the playoffs and to succeed there.  We have JT Miller.   Andrew Copp is a UFA and probably won't resign in WIN...could be had for picks.

If management DOES make a move for (Miller, Myers, Boeser), what message does that send to the team?  They're almost there and they sell for picks and the future?  How demoralizing does that become? 

Now, if management has an open and honest meeting with players and says, "you know, we're trading XXX for picks.  But we have faith that the remaining team can step up, fill up those minutes, and still make the playoffs".   Does the team respond differently? 

I feel like the affect on the teams psyche depends on what they trade for. Obviously if they trade just for futures, then yeah, the teams going to feel like its a rebuilding phase and that management has given up on the season.

However, if they make a hockey trade, sending a good forward for a good defenseman, I don't see why that would reflect a lack of belief. I'm sure it would only be done in consultation with Bruce and what he feels the team needs anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

They need to clear cap space, but I think this management will do little at the TDL and see what this roster can do. I wouldn't be shocked if Halak was the only one traded by Monday.

They've played really well under Boudreau, so they'll give them a chance. Then, the big moves will happen in the off season, after VAN gets ousted by COL in Round 1. 

I can see JR/PA getting VAN another 1st at the Draft, by way of trade in the off season

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, LTC123 said:

To scale?

image.jpeg.55e3fd5360e66f09bede6f7e071cfcae.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They need to clear cap space, but I think this management will do little at the TDL and see what this roster can do. I wouldn't be shocked if Halak was the only one traded by Monday.

They've played really well under Boudreau, so they'll give them a chance. Then, the big moves will happen in the off season, after VAN gets ousted by COL in Round 1. 

I can see JR/PA getting VAN another 1st at the Draft, by way of trade in the off season

With Demko we can beat anyone in the playoffs. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Agreed, I think they'll wait til the offseason for the big moves.

Ive got a feeling theyre not going to be accumulating 1sts, but rather trading for nearly-NHL ready prospects. It looks like the window is within the next 3 years, with Petey, Hughes, and Demko hitting their primes and playing on relatively inexpensive contracts.

My speculation:
They move Pearson, Myers and Boeser, use the cap space to revamp the defence, use Boeser as a trade chip to land a quality d-man. 

I think they'll fish around europe to find a pearson replacement that they can bring in for league minimum, and get a (albeit inferior) scorer but hopefully with more speed to replace Boeser from the UFA pool. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, LTC123 said:

None of the reports suggest that they are trying to trade those guys just for picks and futures.  They are apparently looking for high end young NHL players... those are guys just coming into their primes at the same time as Petey and Hughes.  Not draft picks who could be 2-4 years away.

Also, if picks do come as part of the packages those picks can be used as currency to trade for other players.  We can also sign other players for the cap money suddenly freed up by moving on from those guys so we have a bunch of assets from trades and also money to sign and fill holes.

Who says the team is "almost there"?  We have had a really solid run of games, after a long run of dismal play.  Our wins are almost all on the backs of two players in Miller and Demko.  Our record when Miller doesn't score a point is horrifying.  That isn't a recipe for success in the long term as you need depth and a team that can contribute from all lines and D pairings.

• Vintage 2

No way they make any big deals at the TDL, this team has played well enough to earn the right to take a shot at the playoffs and beyond.  We are 22-9 under BB.  Honestly, the only team that scares me in the playoffs is Colorado.  If we get in, we could do some real damage.  Other than Motte and Halak, there is no rush to deal anyone.  Losing Motte would be huge, and we are not going to get much more than a late 2nd for him.  Keeping him is the deadline deal we need to make.

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

No way they make any big deals at the TDL, this team has played well enough to earn the right to take a shot at the playoffs and beyond.  We are 22-9 under BB.  Honestly, the only team that scares me in the playoffs is Colorado.  If we get in, we could do some real damage.  Other than Motte and Halak, there is no rush to deal anyone.  Losing Motte would be huge, and we are not going to get much more than a late 2nd for him.  Keeping him is the deadline deal we need to make.

Three games before the TDL.  After the TDL we have a series of games against the big boys.  Our current standing shouldn't stop JR and PA from making the needed deals to get us to be a more consistent winner.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, LTC123 said:

players are more than used to seeing teammates come and go. Most of them have been dealing with it since they were 16/17.  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Three games before the TDL.  After the TDL we have a series of games against the big boys.  Our current standing shouldn't stop JR and PA from making the needed deals to get us to be a more consistent winner.  

Isn't that the same thing that was said after the Dec win streak? We're 22-9-5 since Boudreau took over. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Isn't that the same thing that was said after the Dec win streak? We're 22-9-5 since Boudreau took over. 

Come in scortchin' hot Baggins.

Nobody wants to meet the Canucks in the playoffs!

Forget old puff face and his Woe be the Wild Card team that blah blah blah Sutter.

We're gonna be in; and nobody wants us.

• Cheers 1