The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How did JR/PA do on TDL 2022? (10 being best, 1 being worst)

Rate this topic

HKSR

Scale of 1 - 10, how did JR/PA do on TDL 2022?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

You want guys like that, at the price they are worth.

Allvin already mentioned they couldn't agree on a contract, and he doesn't like to let assets walk free, which is the proper thing to do.

The market rate for a fourth liner was mid to late round picks, no one offered more for Motte.

It's not about getting a player with that pick at an equal or more value, the value also comes from the capital and cap space that can be allocated else where.

It's a big picture move.

Fair enough. If you would have mentioned this to begin with, I would have reacted differently. 

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

He's still a massive upgrade over a guy like Petan who is worse than useless.  There is zero excuse for allowing a bum like Petan to play a single shift, even in an emergency.  Anything that keeps him out of the lineup works for me.

And this is where we really see the lack on draft picks in last few years. With the exception of potential in Lockwood (and MAYBE as a 3rd liner down road), our top 6th depth in AHL sucks! And by top 6th, I mean players we can call up for a game or two that can be ok/effective. We have no depth. I don't mind our d depth, we just lack a top 4 ;)

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Richardson is only 4 years younger than the Sedins. And he’s 10 years older than Motte. Don’t think you are going to get much from him right now. 

If the Canucks were serious about making a final playoff push they would have kept Motte and added another forward as well so Chiasson could stay in the press box. That 4th round pick is going to turn out to be a nothing burger. 

I'm not expecting a ton, I'm expecting him to not be Petan.  As long as Petan is never gifted another second of icetime he doesn't deserve, I'll be a happy guy.

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I love what I've heard and seen from this management group.

They didn't sell just because they could...they were in the driver's seat on some moves and didn't "settle". Offers were lowballs and they didn't bite. There's time to figure it out.

They want to get young prospects over picks. I agree...picks are a waaay in the future (maybe) thing unless you get top picks.

They want to ease the cap situation but understand that could take a bit of time. Reducing from Hamonic's $3M to $1.5 gets us a little teeny bit of wiggle room.

They are slowly and methodically working toward a goal. No panic moves, no pressure deals.

Motte I hate to see go...but as they said on 650, we'd likely just lose him (as it seemed like he was after more than what they wanted to offer him...we'll see what that looks like I guess). 

Hamonic never really bought in here...will he anywhere?

I think people just like to complain here...can't please all the Canuck fans all the time and it's more likely some will never be happy.

We traded a  24 goal player for Motte, and in return for a Tyler Motte who is much better now, we got a late 4th rd pick.  That seems like a loss in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not expecting a ton, I'm expecting him to not be Petan.  As long as Petan is never gifted another second of icetime he doesn't deserve, I'll be a happy guy.

He’s not replacing Petan. He’s replacing Motte who we lost in the lineup. Petan will still be in the lineup as long as Höglander is out. 

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Richardson is only 4 years younger than the Sedins. And he’s 10 years older than Motte. Don’t think you are going to get much from him right now. 

If the Canucks were serious about making a final playoff push they would have kept Motte and added another forward as well so Chiasson could stay in the press box. That 4th round pick is going to turn out to be a nothing burger. 

That 4th is still an asset that can be traded in conjunction with other parts for something. Why is this so hard for people to comprehend. An asset was achieved for nothing. 

the playoff push will continue with or without Motte and Hammer. In fact, losing a good character guy might actually help bring the group closer together for a rally. I have my doubts but we will see.

again, there are two sides to Motte’s story. One is cashing in on the open market ASAP because his body has some real wear and tear on it, or, taking a discount because previous mgmt F’d up with the Dickinson deal and the new mgmt is unable to move him out at this point in time.

it sucks, but if I was Motte I’d be going all out as UFA to try and get top dollar. 

and again, he could walk back to us as UFA. 

Best to keep an open mind to all aspects of this transaction 

Edited by RWJC

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He’s not replacing Petan. He’s replacing Motte who we lost in the lineup. Petan will still be in the lineup as long as Höglander is out. 

Which is a problem for sure.  We really needed to get another two serviceable forwards for the stretch in order to ensure Chiasson and Petan go down to the AHL and stay there.  Not replacing Motte with someone outside the organization would have bumped both of those useless plugs up a slot though, which simply is not acceptable.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

We traded a  24 goal player for Motte, and in return for a Tyler Motte who is much better now, we got a late 4th rd pick.  That seems like a loss in my opinion.

Would you have preferred if they let him walk away for nothing?

Also, who/what are you talking about?

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Which is a problem for sure.  We really needed to get another two serviceable forwards for the stretch in order to ensure Chiasson and Petan go down to the AHL and stay there.  Not replacing Motte with someone outside the organization would have bumped both of those useless plugs up a slot though, which simply is not acceptable.

I agree. If they wanted to trade Motte to get the pick that’s fine. But they should have gotten at least one more forward who is better than Petan or Chiasson. It shouldn’t have been that hard. I’m sure Boudreau is pissed about it. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree. If they wanted to trade Motte to get the pick that’s fine. But they should have gotten at least one more forward who is better than Petan or Chiasson. It shouldn’t have been that hard. I’m sure Boudreau is pissed about it. 

they did, they picked up Richardson who's better than those two. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Hoglander will be back. 
Chiasson sucks but is filling his role.

If we bow out soon, we will likely see some auditions from Abby. 

pick up two other serviceable guys and then do what with them when the roster is back at 100%?

we came out unscathed and ok.

people just have to be patient...

and to a degree, appreciative.

This team has come a lonnnnng way this season. Change was inevitable back then, and at this deadline we capitalized on what we could 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

Would you have preferred if they let him walk away for nothing?

Yes I would have preferred to keep Motte and keep the dressing room and the lineup intact so at least the boys would have a better feeling about these last 18 games and maybe give them a spark down the stretch. 

Instead, the 5 GM’s traded a very popular player for a 4th round pick and basically told the players, here’s a 37 year old past his prime replacement to help you figure it out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, RWJC said:

Hoglander will be back. 

pick up two other serviceable guys and then do what with them when the roster is back at 100%?

This team has come a lonnnnng way this season. Change was inevitable back then, and at this deadline we capitalized on what we could 

Why in holy hell aren't we bringing up other guys from Abby instead of two guys who have proven they can't handle limited minutes at the NHL level then?  We need to be doing everything possible to get rid of Chiasson and Petan and make sure they never come back.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I love what I've heard and seen from this management group.

They didn't sell just because they could...they were in the driver's seat on some moves and didn't "settle". Offers were lowballs and they didn't bite. There's time to figure it out.

They want to get young prospects over picks. I agree...picks are a waaay in the future (maybe) thing unless you get top picks.

They want to ease the cap situation but understand that could take a bit of time. Reducing from Hamonic's $3M to $1.5 gets us a little teeny bit of wiggle room.

They are slowly and methodically working toward a goal. No panic moves, no pressure deals.

Motte I hate to see go...but as they said on 650, we'd likely just lose him (as it seemed like he was after more than what they wanted to offer him...we'll see what that looks like I guess). 

Hamonic never really bought in here...will he anywhere? To unload him was a pretty slick move.

I think people just like to complain here...can't please all the Canuck fans all the time and it's more likely some will never be happy.

Unfortunately, we have heard all those positive comments from previous management teams when they first take over, then get hammered by Aqua to produce; then we see the JB future mortgages.

I wasn't one that was calling for us to trade the whole team; Miller, Garland, and Horvat are valuable longterm assets IMO. Having said that, someone needs to take out JBs trash again, and the TDL is the easiest time of year to do that. BB doesn't fit JR's current mold (speed), and we wont be able to afford him. He has no value going forward to the canucks, but he probably did today; even just to offload a poolman or Dickinson contract. 

Prospects vs picks is great, but you have to have the assets to acquire them. In the past, we traded players for picks (ala. Miller). It works great, but leads to cap hell when you cant populate your bottom six with inhouse farm talent. Then, you end up signing Dickinson and Poolmans that lead to cap hell.

I am excited to see what Dermott can do, but we have to be realistic; we got out of a 3m contract and got a 3rd...then traded it away to get a player that couldn't crack the 6th role in TO. And, once again, we are tied to him for next year. A smart FO would have rolled with what we had for the remainder of 2022, then used the money wisely to get a top4 RHD in FA or trade in offseason. Now, we might just have another 6/7/8 Dman (burroughs, hunt, Juulsen) that is 600k over league minimums.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I would have preferred to keep Motte and keep the dressing room and the lineup intact so at least the boys would have a better feeling about these last 18 games and maybe give them a spark down the stretch. 

Instead, the 5 GM’s traded a very popular player for a 4th round pick and basically told the players, here’s a 37 year old past his prime replacement to help you figure it out. 

Right, we haven’t seen this mistake made before…

*cough* Tanev, Markstrom, Toffoli *cough*

progress is created by not continuing to make the same mistakes.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Hoglander will be back. 

Let's see Lockwood.....POs are out of reach. Let's see what he can do...

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Why in holy hell aren't we bringing up other guys from Abby instead of two guys who have proven they can't handle limited minutes at the NHL level then?  We need to be doing everything possible to get rid of Chiasson and Petan and make sure they never come back.

Because they aren’t F’n ready.

that should be pretty obvious to you.