The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oscars Launch Formal Review of Will Smith After Chris Rock Slap

1 hour ago, gurn said:

The amount of people that think it was ok for Will to go neanderthal on Chris is astounding.

The problem with the idea of "He said something offensive, thus deserved it" is rather obvious.

To put it really simply.

This attitude/thinking would allow me, or anyone to slap or beat up anybody that said something the aggressor feels is offensive.

"He said Have a good one, and I can't stand that, so I slapped him"

"He said, Good morning, and I wasn't having a good morning so I hit him with my tire wrench".

That small child looked at me so I slapped it! 

Actually I could get on board with this...

:bigblush:

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

They are indeed. His recent movie was amazing The French Dispatch. I could just imagine listening to the dialogue as an audiobook

For me tops will always be The Life Aquatic but having worked in hotels for 20 years I adored Grand Budapest..havent seen The Fench Dispatch but will soon! 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

For me tops will always be The Life Aquatic but having worked in hotels for 20 years I adored Grand Budapest..havent seen The Fench Dispatch but will soon! 

Grand Budapest is peak Anderson. I am actually not too far from the city they did most of the Filming including the department store of fhe interior where they shot the hotel lobby.

Unfortunately were doing renovations recently so not sure if it still looks the same 

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

cancelling has become stupid. It began legitimately with removing abusers from positions of power, but now you can't tell a joke. Or worse, people support violence because they didn't like a joke.

I don't agree with Maher on many things, but he's right about a lot of things when it comes to the far left going off the rails.

I'm a Bill Maher fan and never miss an episode of Real Time, but there are times when he annoys me, by not properly vetting his information.

When the Ottawa protest was underway, he read a quote from Justin Trudeau, condemning the actions of a particular group of protesters (the ones who had surrounded his bus, with the F*** Trudeau banners, etc.) and passed it off as a general comment directed at all people who question mask mandates, or the vaccines themselves.

He also frequently misrepresents Covid information. If fact, he did so last night. He was hammering home the point that scientists and medical professionals sometimes get things wrong, stating that "In fact, they're wrong a lot". He went on to point out that the scientists were wrong when they said that the vaccines would prevent infection. Now, I'm not sure that any scientist made that exact claim. In fact I rather doubt it, because it isn't a scientist's M.O. t speak in absolutes.

However, my main objection is the fact that he (and his so-called expert panelist) completely gloss over the fact that we're talking about multiple variants. The original vaccines were developed to address the alpha variant and with that in mind, the vaccines were effective in preventing infection. It was the later variants that saw a decrease in effacy, although they did still prevent more serious illness after infection.

The panelist (can't remember his name, but I think he's a writer for the Times) then went on to talk about how "the originally told us not to wear masks" and then changed their minds. Of course, those of us who frequented the Covid thread know that this is because it was to make sure that medical staff had enough supply, something that was a big issue in the early days of the pandemic.

I think Maher is bang on when he criticizes the far left craziness and this seemingly constant state of being offended by pretty much everything, but by no means to I take everything he, or his guests say. They're "wrong" far more often than "scientists", IMHO.

Scientists are wrong some times. In fact, the whole exercise is pretty much coming up with a hypothesis and then trying to disprove it. That being said, they're far better equipped than the rest of us to make the "right" decisions, when it comes to infectious diseases.

• Cheers 3

11 hours ago, iinatcc said:

True but it's still pretty gross that it's still considered "one of the greatest Oscar moments" heck the link is from the Academy youtube page. 

I guess it's too late to really ban Adrien Brody (it's not like he's doing much outside Wes Anderson's films anyways) but the academy should at least remove this video and also condemn this moment (if they haven't already)

Anyone else remember Jon Lovitz groping Jamie Lee Curtis' breast at one of those ceremonies? (for some reason, I can't find an image of it)

The entire audience laughed, including Jamie's dad, Tony....

41 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Anyone else remember Jon Lovitz groping Jamie Lee Curtis' breast at one of those ceremonies? (for some reason, I can't find an image of it)

If the Academy is going to ban Will Smith for 10 years, they need to do some purge in the behaviors they tolerated in the past. It's a good look for the Academy since this will be seen as a double standard. 

36 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Remember in ‘73 John Wayne had to be retrained backstage from dragging Sasheen Littlefeather of the stage while she very quietly and politely explained why Marlon Brando was declining his Oscar. What a disaster that would have been.

Here’s Jon…

49 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm a Bill Maher fan and never miss an episode of Real Time, but there are times when he annoys me, by not properly vetting his information.

When the Ottawa protest was underway, he read a quote from Justin Trudeau, condemning the actions of a particular group of protesters (the ones who had surrounded his bus, with the F*** Trudeau banners, etc.) and passed it off as a general comment directed at all people who question mask mandates, or the vaccines themselves.

He also frequently misrepresents Covid information. If fact, he did so last night. He was hammering home the point that scientists and medical professionals sometimes get things wrong, stating that "In fact, they're wrong a lot". He went on to point out that the scientists were wrong when they said that the vaccines would prevent infection. Now, I'm not sure that any scientist made that exact claim. In fact I rather doubt it, because it isn't a scientist's M.O. t speak in absolutes.

However, my main objection is the fact that he (and his so-called expert panelist) completely gloss over the fact that we're talking about multiple variants. The original vaccines were developed to address the alpha variant and with that in mind, the vaccines were effective in preventing infection. It was the later variants that saw a decrease in effacy, although they did still prevent more serious illness after infection.

The panelist (can't remember his name, but I think he's a writer for the Times) then went on to talk about how "the originally told us not to wear masks" and then changed their minds. Of course, those of us who frequented the Covid thread know that this is because it was to make sure that medical staff had enough supply, something that was a big issue in the early days of the pandemic.

I think Maher is bang on when he criticizes the far left craziness and this seemingly constant state of being offended by pretty much everything, but by no means to I take everything he, or his guests say. They're "wrong" far more often than "scientists", IMHO.

Scientists are wrong some times. In fact, the whole exercise is pretty much coming up with a hypothesis and then trying to disprove it. That being said, they're far better equipped than the rest of us to make the "right" decisions, when it comes to infectious diseases.

that sums him up well, I wouldn't be looking to Maher for covid advice. He is one of the few voices critical of the far left in the US, that isn't a right wing personality though so i give him credit for that. 

22 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, I hear Will Smith has been banned from the Oscars for 10 years.  I guess he'll return just in time to receive his Lifetime Achievement Award.   Hollywood :picard:

10 years is nothing.  Given Will Smith is a relatively young man, he will be back before you know it.

19 hours ago, JM_ said:

that sums him up well, I wouldn't be looking to Maher for covid advice. He is one of the few voices critical of the far left in the US, that isn't a right wing personality though so i give him credit for that. 

He is a critic of the far right too.  A rarity in the entertainment business that skewers both right and left.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/9/2022 at 2:16 PM, 4petesake said:

Remember in ‘73 John Wayne had to be retrained backstage from dragging Sasheen Littlefeather of the stage while she very quietly and politely explained why Marlon Brando was declining his Oscar. What a disaster that would have been.

John Wayne was brought up in a different time where his racist views were common:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-wayne-white-supremacy/

Real tough guy (avoided serving in WWII because of I think a knee injury; even Nixon could've avoided serviing in WWII [legitimate religious reasons] but he enlisted & served with some distinction.  Marion *PRETENDED* to fight).

HOWEVER, there are different kinds of Conservatives.  Here is a person who was born less than twenty years later (I'll excuse SOME of his NRA stuff at twilight of his life as he did suffer from alzheimer's disease I believe around that point):

(this was LONG before it became 'fashionable' to protest about civil rights)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1