The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

49 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Agreed, there's a concerning amount of time being spent by people on Musk/Twitter when they don't even use the platform.

Those people don’t have to run multi-billion $ organizations, with a lot of peoples livelihoods on the line from inane comments by them. 

Elon on the other hand…

38 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Sorry if I misrepresented you and that was not my intention.

I’m unsure then of who you are saying is making a mountain out of the molehill? People are reacting to Musk’s reaction to a Charlie Kirk conspiracy theory as you are reacting to me posting it. Isn’t that what social media and discussion threads revolve around? Mountain and molehill is like chicken and egg, where does it start.

I also posted Musk’s re-tweet of an unfounded allegation that the P Pelosi attack was nothing more than a drunken Pelosi having a homosexual tryst gone wrong. This is the kind of stuff he re-tweets, likes, and amplifies. Surely you don’t believe that when people call him out on this stuff, like him calling the rescuer a pedo, are making mountains out of molehills? As long as he owns the platform and makes this his schtick I’ll keep posting it.

Just read your last post and wonder why you think discussing this is concerning? Frankly I find ignoring it more concerning.

The way I see it, when reddit threads are created about Musk promoting something, yet the tweet was simply "small world", that feels like making a mountain out of a molehill.

I'm unfamiliar with your other examples so I don't have an opinion on them. I do wonder though, did he directly say what you are mentioning here, or are those the conclusions drawn in similar fashion to the small world tweet? Or perhaps some combination of the two?

Why would ignoring it be concerning? If someone doesn't use his products, it feels like a waste of time to be digging through all of his tweets (or reading threads about his tweets). I don't use instagram, so if Elon were to buy that too and make a bunch of changes, I wouldn't care. Whatever he does to it wouldn't impact my life.

Instead it seems like there's people who spend a large amount of time on something that doesn't impact them, nor is enjoyable. It's like watching the news, just making oneself more miserable then redirecting that negative energy onto others. Why do that when that time and energy could be better used on something more enjoyable?

49 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Instead it seems like there's people who spend a large amount of time on something that doesn't impact them, nor is enjoyable. It's like watching the news, just making oneself more miserable then redirecting that negative energy onto others. Why do that when that time and energy could be better used on something more enjoyable?

Does this impact you, are you having an enjoyable time? I ask because here you are...a lot.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Cheers 3

46 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

The way I see it, when reddit threads are created about Musk promoting something, yet the tweet was simply "small world", that feels like making a mountain out of a molehill.

I'm unfamiliar with your other examples so I don't have an opinion on them. I do wonder though, did he directly say what you are mentioning here, or are those the conclusions drawn in similar fashion to the small world tweet? Or perhaps some combination of the two?

Why would ignoring it be concerning? If someone doesn't use his products, it feels like a waste of time to be digging through all of his tweets (or reading threads about his tweets). I don't use instagram, so if Elon were to buy that too and make a bunch of changes, I wouldn't care. Whatever he does to it wouldn't impact my life.

I’ll attach his tweet pushing the P Pelosi crap after he was attacked in his home. His calling one of the divers who helped rescue the Thai kids soccer team trapped in a cave a “pedo” was well documented so I’m not going to search it out. Ignoring the world’s wealthiest person with both the platform and a political agenda which promotes conspiracy theories can impact all of us.

I can’t speak for others but I spend a great deal of time doing things I enjoy and discussions on these boards is among them. I agree that anybody that finds these topics makes themselves miserable ought to find other outlets.

2BA39E87-0798-4313-AC00-7D404A57EE5B.jpeg

• Cheers 1

I see this thread as a case of two sides looking at the same thing and interpreting it differently....

One side sees it as people making mountains out of molehills, in reaction to what Musk is tweeting (and saying)....

The other side sees it as a case of looking at what he's tweeting and saying and reacting with, "Wow! I used to think this guy was good guy, but now I think he's a dick.....and not nearly as smart as some people think he is"....

And to be perfectly honest, fair or not, we see your responses to that opinion as, "How dare you criticize Elon Musk! He's a genius who invented more cool stuff than Edison!" :frantic:

Not meaning to offend......it's just how I see it.....

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

56 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

Elton John is quitting Twitter, saying platform’s policy shift will let misinformation flourish

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/09/entertainment/elton-john-twitter-gbr-intl-scli/index.html?ref=upstract.com

ngzjb61fyw4a1.png.50b7eb0722f905068c58411647ef98cd.png

Another "celebrity" leaving twitter but first has to post he's leaving twitter on twitter and then stick around to look at the comments. Just deactivate your account and go. No one cares

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

20 minutes ago, Mossberg said:

Another "celebrity" leaving twitter but first has to post he's leaving twitter on twitter and then stick around to look at the comments. Just deactivate your account and go. No one cares

:lol: I love how you put "celebrity" in quotation marks......

Like what has Elton John ever done? He's not a real celebrity, like Kid Rock, or Ye....:rolleyes:

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

And yet the amount of time you spend here defending, downplaying or excusing everything Musk says or does while criticizing anyone critical of one of the world’s richest people with a big platform isn’t wasting time or making a mountain out of a molehill? Someone criticized someone else, big deal, shouldn’t you take your own advice then? Just ignore it? After all it doesn’t impact you right?

I think you need to understand what the word implication means. It’s what most of these rich types of people do. They never outright say something like “Fauci’s daughter while working at Twitter influenced the company into suppressing or labelling anti-vaxx tweets as disinformation”. Why? Because then they’d receive bigger backlash. And making a false statement is something they can get sued over. They aren’t that stupid and they need a buffer in case they ever go to court. They use modals and codewords to conceal what they’re actually trying to say to protect themselves.

They skirt the line so they can have public plausible deniability and get people such as yourself to defend them or criticize those who are critical of them. However, supporters know exactly what they’re saying even if they’re not saying it. So do critics. The only people who don’t, need someone to blankly state something controversial (this almost never happens) before criticizing someone. A mob boss doesn’t say “go kill so and so at this time with this weapon at this place”, they say something like “there’s some business with so and so I’d like you to take care of”.

For example on the post he made about Paul Pelosi. He says “there is a tiny possibility there might be more to this story then meets the eye”. While replying to a tweet, he’s linking to a website full of random Twitter accounts. There’s no actual proof. He uses the words tiny, possibility and might to deflect any backlash from what he’s posted. Take those words out. “There is more to this story then meets the eye”. That’s what his true intention is to say.

Choosing not to comment is a choice too, but yet even if this scenario in his mind is such a tiny minute chance of being true why is he still sharing a website with no actual proof and commenting publicly about it? It’s clear to most exactly what he’s doing. He could have taken your advice and just ignored it, but he chose to comment. That means he has a reason to do so. What possible reason would he have other then to spread this “theory” to a wider audience in which there’s no concrete proof of?

This is how misinformation and disinformation spreads like wildfire.

Your first sentence misrepresents what I've been doing. Why is this so common in this thread?

I call out nonsense when I see it, and I see a lot of nonsensical arguments of how Musk owning twitter is suddenly a problem, as if there wasn't any misinformation before.

The Elton John tweet above is a perfect example. He's leaving because now it's a problem? Where's he been all these years? It's laughable.

I'm well aware how rich/famous people handle themselves online. However, responding with "small world" is not sufficient enough to draw the conclusion he is promoting the idea and get worked up about it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Your first sentence misrepresents what I've been doing. Why is this so common in this thread?

I call out nonsense when I see it, and I see a lot of nonsensical arguments of how Musk owning twitter is suddenly a problem, as if there wasn't any misinformation before.

The Elton John tweet above is a perfect example. He's leaving because now it's a problem? Where's he been all these years? It's laughable.

I'm well aware how rich/famous people handle themselves online. However, responding with "small world" is not sufficient enough to draw the conclusion he is promoting the idea and get worked up about it.

Misinformation posted by users is not the same as misinformation posted by the CEO and owner of the platform.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mossberg said:

How do you know he stuck around to look at the comments? And so what if he did? Since its in the news and even you are commenting, obviously people care. Oh, and you know who else cared enough to comment...Elon Musk.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

So you're just here looking for nonsense to call out? That's what you've been doing? As you posted earlier...

it seems like there's people who spend a large amount of time on something that doesn't impact them, nor is enjoyable. It's like watching the news, just making oneself more miserable then redirecting that negative energy onto others. Why do that when that time and energy could be better used on something more enjoyable?

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

So you're just here looking for nonsense to call out? That's what you've been doing? As you posted earlier...

It’s quite ironic actually that a few posters think that anyone commenting negatively on Musk and/or his tweets is miserable and making a big deal out of nothing and yet take the time to comment on it and make a big deal out the posts. 

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

You’re  really taking this misrepresenting story and running with it aren’t you? Don’t overplay it.

Yes there was some misinformation on Twitter before Musk took over but they had thousands of employees responsible for tracking and taking down hate speech, harmful content, and misinformation asap. All fired by Musk almost immediately. Now it’s rampant and anyone who doesn’t want to be associated with it or speaks out against it is laughable? Don’t just skip over this fact.

I already gave you his Pelosi tweet and if you want to pass that off as not promoting the idea that the victim was  a drunken man having a homosexual hookup gone sideways I would say it is you that are misrepresenting. You can pass it off as a nothingburger if you like but thousands of people took it as fact after he/Fox/OAN et al put their shoulders into the story. “Small world” by itself means little but putting it in context with his other comments and tweets paints a pretty clear picture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1