The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

7 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Isn't the point of those vans to be camp/adventure friendly? 400km of range (presumably on flat, unlikely to get that on BC highways) is not really enough for that.

I'm surprised a manufacturer hasn't come out with an electric trades van (eg. sprinter). Those are almost always driven in city and the trades people take them home at night. It's the perfect application for an EV. Gas is more efficient on highways and for long distance trips. Hybrids that can run on all EV seem to be the best of both worlds at the moment.

Ford does have the etransit but its only at about 170-200kms depends on the model.  Its great for say a vancouver contractor, less so for someone in the Fraser Valley as we tend to travel a bit more.  If they got that to the 250-350kms with hauling the average amount of tools those things would be flying the Valley. I have seen a few of them in Langley and Abbotsford but not many (I don't really look for etransits like I do other EVs).

Yea the Buzz has something like 400kms range which isn't bad if thats after the ineffiencies with the body style. The biggest issue with the Buzz is I believe (don't quote me) its still built on the MEB platform which is only a 400v system, they aren't upgrading to the 800v system like Hyundai/Kia have (I think Ford went 800v too now with Lightning). 

Our Ioniq EV gets less than 300kms (advertised but we float around 300 in this temp, should be like 320 by later spring) but thats more than enough for day to day driving and we love it, we wouldn't change it for the world.  If work didn't pay me for my truck I would consider a second EV for us but right now makes zero financial sense. 

18 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

@Russ We almost bought an Ioniq5 AWD but the misses didn't like the contemporary interior. I think it had 400km of range.

If I was getting a vehicle in the market right now the ioniq5 would be my choice (maybe model Y). Has a nice blend of space and size compared to others. Plus I love that older boxy look with the square LEDs in it. I think that one floats between 400-440 depending on rwd or AWD model which is more than enough for 2-3 days driving for most people. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

@Russ I remember another issue actually... no rear wiper blade which was a bit of a turn off for me as we'd be driving it in winter conditions.

Some people seem to complain about that, some say its a non issue with how the water beads off.  I have never had a vehicle with a rear wiper so I probably wouldn't notice it plus the car wash stuff I got has rain-x and that beads rain off pretty darn good.

Definitely isn't a picture perfect car but it was one I was heavily considering.  I would like to go for the Ioiniq 7 since its bigger but I think it'll be out of my price range when released. Oh well wife can stick to her older EV, we drive that thing a ton.

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Some people seem to complain about that, some say its a non issue with how the water beads off.  I have never had a vehicle with a rear wiper so I probably wouldn't notice it plus the car wash stuff I got has rain-x and that beads rain off pretty darn good.

Definitely isn't a picture perfect car but it was one I was heavily considering.  I would like to go for the Ioiniq 7 since its bigger but I think it'll be out of my price range when released. Oh well wife can stick to her older EV, we drive that thing a ton.

Does that work on snow also? 

On 3/21/2023 at 11:46 AM, I.Am.Ironman said:

@Russ We almost bought an Ioniq5 AWD but the misses didn't like the contemporary interior. I think it had 400km of range.

On 3/22/2023 at 6:26 AM, Russ said:

If I was getting a vehicle in the market right now the ioniq5 would be my choice (maybe model Y). Has a nice blend of space and size compared to others. Plus I love that older boxy look with the square LEDs in it. I think that one floats between 400-440 depending on rwd or AWD model which is more than enough for 2-3 days driving for most people. 

We bought a 22 Ioniq 5 in February last year. Absolutely amazing vehicle.

• Cheers 2

23 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Elon Musk.......Super genius.   Lol

And still super rich.

16 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

All he needs to do now is buy ACME.....for twice what it's worth....

I sense jealousy from you two..:P

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, myre said:

We bought a 22 Ioniq 5 in February last year. Absolutely amazing vehicle.

Have a model Y. Amazing once you drive the electric vehicle and live with it a while how much better it is. Don’t like going back to our hydrocarbon burning second vehicle. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/23/2023 at 10:31 AM, Timråfan said:

Does that work on snow also? 

EVs are a mixed bag in the snow. The traction is amazing in EV and near instant adjustments when get some slippage. 
‘But they are really heavy so stopping can be a bit more of a challenge like driving a big heavy pickup or SUV. 

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Have a model Y. Amazing once you drive the electric vehicle and live with it a while how much better it is. Don’t like going back to our hydrocarbon burning second vehicle. 

I also have a 21 ram which I need for work but ya I really enjoy the wife's Hyundai. I have never driven a Tesla.

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

EVs are a mixed bag in the snow. The traction is amazing in EV and near instant adjustments when get some slippage. 
‘But they are really heavy so stopping can be a bit more of a challenge like driving a big heavy pickup or SUV. 

Yeah I can't say what you guys are used to because obviously I don't know but our Ioniq 5 is no different breaking than my Ram. In fact, the Hyundai has like a Jake brake like a semi where as soon as you let go of the throttle it just starts to slow down anyways, like semi's do with their Jake.

12 minutes ago, myre said:

Yeah I can't say what you guys are used to because obviously I don't know but our Ioniq 5 is no different breaking than my Ram. In fact, the Hyundai has like a Jake brake like a semi where as soon as you let go of the throttle it just starts to slow down anyways, like semi's do with their Jake.

That is very common for EVs. The regenerative brake recharges battery.  The Tesla automatically turns it down in the cold so that “engine brakes” more like a gas car to avoid unintentional slippage.