The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Players look at recent deals for comparables to negotiate from.  The recent Hertl and Zib comes to mind.  Both are over $8M x 8yrs.  Miller has outperformed both of those players this year.

I can’t see a reason why Miller would settle for less than $9M x 8yr.

Posters keep saying Miller is a star/superstar. So wouldn’t he want to be paid like one?

Another comparable to watch out for is Gaudreau.  He’s UFA this summer and is also having a breakout year.  Whatever he gets, will  be the negotiation starting point.  If Flames offer him $10 x 8yrs, are people here wanting Miller at the same price???

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

The twins aren't a comparable to anyone in the league

Back then they really struggled early on. They had a couple decent/good seasons and got a four year deal.   Then of course another one at 33.  Miller has done equally as well without the high draft pedigree.   Actually better (this season).   Of course they were comparable back then, to anyone at their age who had just had two close to or around PPG seasons.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

Possibly but if we made the playoffs this season would you wan to play us in the first round?

No, but that's a darkhorse, not a contender.  It takes a lot of getting in and missing to become teams like Tampa, Col etc etc.

Of they fork out the massive contract to Miller and he gets hurt in a playoff run, they won't have the depth to absorb that.  I want a deep, balanced the who will c ok ntend for a long window.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well the main window has passed for a team like the NYR, but Im fine with Lundqvist, Chytil and a first at the draft

That's a terrible trade for Miller that doesn't even address any of our holes.  Is Lundkvist going to fill a top 4 hole at RHD?  Chytil is a massive downgrade at centre from Miller.  That trade makes us exponentially weaker.  The Rangers would need to throw in Schneider to make that deal even worth considering, at least he actually would fill a hole...

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

He'll likely be as good for the next 2, maybe three years.......in the ball park at least 

It's the 6 year anchor after that, where they'll have to jettison a Petey or Hughes because of miller. 

I dont see the risk of losing a Petey or a Hughes. You risk losing the depth players like a Garland or Pearson.

Chicago signed their players to the contracts they deserved and were able to compete for a few cups along the way. Toews Kane Keith as much as I hate those guys they helped them win cups. The break up of the team and the downward slide were after the team already won a few cups.

Im pretty sure they were saying trade Kane away  hes our best player we can get draft picks and some prospects for him.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Players look at recent deals for comparables to negotiate from.  The recent Hertl and Zib comes to mind.  Both are over $8M x 8yrs.  Miller has outperformed both of those players this year.

I can’t see a reason why Miller would settle for less than $9M x 8yr.

Posters keep saying Miller is a star/superstar. So wouldn’t he want to be paid like one?

Another comparable to watch out for is Gaudreau.  He’s UFA this summer and is also having a breakout year.  Whatever he gets, will  be the negotiation starting point.  If Flames offer him $10 x 8yrs, are people here wanting Miller at the same price???

And I'll take miller over JG anyday.  What ever JG gets, add another $500k-1m, imo

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

No, but that's a darkhorse, not a contender.  It takes a lot of getting in and missing to become teams like Tampa, Col etc etc.

Of they fork out the massive contract to Miller and he gets hurt in a playoff run, they won't have the depth to absorb that.  I want a deep, balanced the who will c ok ntend for a long window.

I agree but Tampa and Colorado have 100 point players to lead their team and constantly look to supplement those players.  Tampa kept Stamkos. We need to keep Miller

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Landeskog has never been a top 10 scorer in the league and has never scored 100 points.  He has never even scored 90 points, even while playing on a superior team.  Imagine if Miller was playing right now with MacKinnon and Rantanen?  He might be the top scorer in the entire NHL.

Miller right now is a better player than Landeskog and is worth more on the open market.

Here Miller is no 1 

In Ava. he would be second or third and that means less points.

As when he was with Lightning on a third line. Kind of hard to produce then.

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You trade Miller you need to replace:

- 90+ points (Conservatively 60-75 per season)

- Someone who takes over 1000 face-offs, has 53% win percentage.

- 160+ Hits

So if you can figure out a trade that improves on all those areas, or improves your defence radically. 

I'm all ears. 

I don’t think there’s any doubt that we’d become a weaker team in the immediate term. 

First order of business for management would be to see if he even wants to stay. Losing him for nothing would be worst case scenario.

Let’s say he does. Rutherford and Allvin’s biggest task thus far in their tenure would be to gauge whether the mammoth contract Miller would command would be worth it long-term. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's a terrible trade for Miller that doesn't even address any of our holes.  Is Lundkvist going to fill a top 4 hole at RHD?  Chytil is a massive downgrade at centre from Miller.  That trade makes us exponentially weaker.  The Rangers would need to throw in Schneider to make that deal even worth considering, at least he actually would fill a hole...

Why is it terrible.  Lundqvist is a great, young dman, chytil is big, fast and has good hands and is still young and developing........he's not replacing Miller, he'd be 3C behind Bo and Petey.

Still better than getting nothing when Miller walks isn't it?

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

I agree but Tampa and Colorado have 100 point players to lead their team and constantly look to supplement those players.  Tampa kept Stamkos. We need to keep Miller

He doesn't fit the timeline.  Petey will be in his prime and will be the 100(ish) point guy

Just now, CaptKirk888 said:

Why?

Because it takes a lot of getting in and losing to get there.  They could make a Cinderella rin, no doubt, but I don't really want a one and done team.  I want to see a perennial contender

1 minute ago, stawns said:

He doesn't fit the timeline.  Petey will be in his prime and will be the 100(ish) point guy

Petey while being younger and having a good timeline doesnt bring what Miller does for this team yet.

What i dont understand from your argument is why we cant have both. Theres enough cap space if we lose Boesers contract.and even some space to add another player if we need to.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

The twins aren't a comparable to anyone in the league

Why not?  Other than one breakout season, Henrik averaged less than a point a game throughout his entire career.  Henrik didn't hit 100 points until he was 29, same as Miller.  And their was two Sedins so both had to get paid.  Also, Henrik was basically a 3rd line player until he broke out at age 25, kinda similar to Miller who broke out at age 26.  

The Sedins are legends in Vancouver, but don't act like they came into the league at 20 years old as superstars like Pavel Bure.  They couldn't even skate until they were 23.

• Cheers 2

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

Petey while being younger and having a good timeline doesnt bring what Miller does for this team yet.

What i dont understand from your argument is why we cant have both. Theres enough cap space if we lose Boesers contract.and even some space to add another player if we need to.

Do you really want this team to have a $9m (minimum) cap hit for a 35-38 year old JT Miller when Petey and Hughes are in their prime and hitting UFA years and wanting to be paid?  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

But think of the cap space!!!  We could sign 29 or 30 year old UFAs with the $9m instead!!

• Haha 2