The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Gonna be an interesting weekend.

WPG down by 4 goals, and the Bolts to play tomorrow, so that should put them out of it.

If the Soilers can beat Vegas and the Jackets beat LA suddenly it becomes a lot tighter.

Fingers crossed

Yah LA is reeling but they have a cakewalk schedule the rest of the way.  Dallas plays the Coyotes and all of the Pacific except LA.  Vegas and Nashville with daunting schedules and we’re somewhere in between.  Hopefully we get those going our way and we’re very close to controlling our own destiny although we’ll have to maintain the streak

46 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

This is one of the few seasons of late where we've even had a stretch run.

I have faith that the boys are gonna rally around Bo's injury and/or Miller drags the team into the playoffs. 

Also a fully healthy D core (pretty much).

Something that is unheard of with this team at this time of year.

Demko and the D can shut things down, and we seem to now be getting consistent secondary scoring. 

Next man up mentality! Still hope!

Edited by DeNiro

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We have all these players, and Miller No are having career years.  Demko is fabulous.  And we still are a capped out non playoff team.  Why go further down the rabbit hole?  

A non playoff team with a P% of 0.66 under Boudreau (and that’s 50 games now, so not a small sample size).

Make no mistake. This IS a playoff team, just got derailed for the first 25 games under Green.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We have all these players, and Miller No are having career years.  Demko is fabulous.  And we still are a capped out non playoff team.  Why go further down the rabbit hole?  

I’d say Miller, Hughes and Demko are having great years… but if you look at the rest of the roster everyone is doing average or flat out disappointing on their overall season stats. 

There’s lots of room for internal improvement - I wouldn’t be surprised if any of Hoglander, Garland, Boeser, OEL, Pettersson and/or Podkolzin have better overall stats at the end of next season.  

That’s why I’m pretty sure new management isn’t going to rebuild whether we make the playoffs or not - it’s a good team with lots of room to grow.

1 hour ago, buddhahoodlum said:

This is one of the few seasons of late where we've even had a stretch run.

I have faith that the boys are gonna rally around Bo's injury and/or Miller drags the team into the playoffs. 

Well, it has happened before...  Like I said elsewhere, this is right around the point in the season where captain Kevin McCarthy went out for the rest of the year in 1982 and...that was how captain Stan Smyl was born en route to the Cup final that year.  I guess if Bubble Demko comes back...anything is possible.

37 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’d say Miller, Hughes and Demko are having great years… but if you look at the rest of the roster everyone is doing average or flat out disappointing on their overall season stats. 

There’s lots of room for internal improvement - I wouldn’t be surprised if any of Hoglander, Garland, Boeser, OEL, Pettersson and/or Podkolzin have better overall stats at the end of next season.  

That’s why I’m pretty sure new management isn’t going to rebuild whether we make the playoffs or not - it’s a good team with lots of room to grow.

Don't leave Pettersson out. He is on pace to score 30 goals, a new career high.

He has been on a PPG pace since Bruce took over.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Losing a great center man and a key points contributor at this point of the year with the situation as it sits is nothing less then horrific. 

Nothing to say other than this just plain stinks.  Fat lady hasn't sang yet but she's climbing up onto the stage. Damn.

Never cede till it's mathematically confirmed.

This just in…

An enormously overweight woman has been rushed to VGH and is in ICU with an undisclosed lower body injury.

It is being reported that she fell approximately 6 feet while trying to ascend the stairs to the stage to sing to a depressed crowd of over 53,000 people. 

Hospital spokesperson Mr. L. Tamer suggested she will be unable to perform for at least 3 months. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, khay said:

Don't leave Pettersson out. He is on pace to score 30 goals, a new career high.

He has been on a PPG pace since Bruce took over.

He's been good under Boudreau but he's underperformed the first half of this year.  We expected him to be a PPG player this year which is why the comment above was made.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well, it has happened before...  Like I said elsewhere, this is right around the point in the season where captain Kevin McCarthy went out for the rest of the year in 1982 and...that was how captain Stan Smyl was born en route to the Cup final that year.  I guess if Bubble Demko comes back...anything is possible.

So do they add another A or give someone a temporary C? i know, just an A, if anything, but who would it be? 

Edited by frank einstein

4 minutes ago, frank einstein said:

So do they add another A or give someone a temporary C?

They gave Smyl the temporary captaincy for the playoffs and they did so well (went to the final) that they just left it on Smyl's jersey.

Same thing happened with the coach.  Harry Neale was the head coach and got suspended late in the year.  The team went on a run under (assistant) Roger Nielson up to and through the playoffs and Harry just left him there as head coach afterward.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, frank einstein said:

Yes i was remembering that, but i think it would be too controversial now to give, say, Miller the C wouldn't it?

I dunno.  If they actually get to the playoffs and Horvat is still hurt for the foreseeable future, it might be kind of weird to play with no captain.  At that point, I think it would be good to name someone temporary C, probably with the understanding that Horvat gets it back.

In the meanwhile, I might just add an A until the end of the season.

I misread "did" instead of "do" in your last message so thought you were asking about history.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Losing a great center man and a key points contributor at this point of the year with the situation as it sits is nothing less then horrific. 

Nothing to say other than this just plain stinks.  Fat lady hasn't sang yet but she's climbing up onto the stage. Damn.

Never cede till it's mathematically confirmed.

I'd say at least 5 of the last 7 games are legitimately winnable.  How exciting will it be if it comes down to the wire? This group seems to be peaking at exactly the right time. I think if they squeak into the playoffs we could see a repeat of 94' as they ride the momentum of having achieved the nearly impossible. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

He's been good under Boudreau but he's underperformed the first half of this year.  We expected him to be a PPG player this year which is why the comment above was made.

He has been PPG under Boudreau.

The fact of the matter is that everyone struggled under Green. It was the system and less than 100% wrist that held him back.

Now Petey is light on his skates and deceptively quick.

I'd say he will hit 35 goals next season and 80+ points.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, khay said:

The fact of the matter is that everyone struggled under Green. It was the system

Im so happy that people finally realize, and will admit, that Green was a garbage coach. I was one of the early few screaming for his head during Pettersons rookie season. Hell, I literally got banned for passionate comments I made in a "Fire Green" thread in 2020. Now I can gloat and say, see? I was right all along. The problem was never the players, it was always the coaching staff. 

Oh man... I had read Horvat was ok... now to hear he is out... bad news.

Hoping it is just a deep bone bruise or hairline fracture.

Whatever it is, the hill to climb just got steeper... gonna be tough.'

The only good news this is all a good learning experience.

This stretch is like the playoffs... it will help next year whatever happens.