The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Apr. 21, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Great post. 

Miller and Demko were the sole reason we even had a chance of talking about the playoffs in April. 

Last night DesLauriers fired up the crowd along with his team by fighting Schenn. I think JB was trying to do the same when he got Ferland. Maybe we should take a run at someone like him this summer. He is a good skater with size and toughness and decent hands. If rather DesLauriers than a guy like Reeves. 

Yeah Deslauriers is surprisingly quick.  Excellent bottom 6 guy.  Probably won't be cheap though.  Other teams will covet him as well which will drive his price up.  I think he will get $2.5m+.  Worth it in my opinion.  He brings a lot to a bottom 6.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Great post. 

Miller and Demko were the sole reason we even had a chance of talking about the playoffs in April. 

Last night DesLauriers fired up the crowd along with his team by fighting Schenn. I think JB was trying to do the same when he got Ferland. Maybe we should take a run at someone like him this summer. He is a good skater with size and toughness and decent hands. If rather DesLauriers than a guy like Reeves. 

Actually, Petey has been the #1 guy since mid Jan.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

A coach's job is to coach the team that's given to him. 

I am confident that BB's future here isn't decided or is hinging on whether a player returns or gets traded. 

Every player has seen a boost in play since he's arrived. 

That's if he wants the job if the team is stepping back that much.  If he's here under term, then yeah I agree, the coaches job is to coach the team given to him.  But if he's free to sign anywhere, there better be a good reason for him to want to stay here to coach.

42 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Not advocating moving Miller, but my worry is we will be in a play off position next years TDL and we will hold on to players only to see them leaving for free. 
Allvin talks the talk, and I hope he walks the walk as well. 
Regardless if this means he is staying or dealt, I don't want him to leave for nothing. We need to improve and letting players go will be counter productive. We are not strong enough to let that happen yet. 

Absolutely agree.   We won't get Miller type performance at his cap hit in the free agent market that's for sure.    If we had even one more player in the pipe - high end enough to be comfortable, i'd be ok with playoffs next year, for the guys experience, and then Miller going to wherever he wants.    We don't have that.    Kind of a pickle isn't it?    Unless EP blows the doors off which, well he has been doing since Bruce took over ... and getting better as the season goes on.   That might make one run worth it.   Think he's scoring at over 90 points and 45 goals...that's something, and if Miller keeps it up next season ... Brock has a career year.   We'd be a tough team to beat even with our flaws.    Have to weigh one year over the next five. 

Edited by IBatch

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why?  Because they're the three best friends that anyone could have and they've made a blood pact to never play without the other two?

the hangover singing GIF

or they just don't want to stick around for 2-4 years of another rebuild. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

A coach's job is to coach the team that's given to him. 

I am confident that BB's future here isn't decided or is hinging on whether a player returns or gets traded. 

Every player has seen a boost in play since he's arrived. 

But somewhere down the line the GM has to address the weaknesses in the lineup. You can't play a season with tweeners on forward and defence. And it's clear we have no centre depth at the moment. We need more depth on the farm as well. 

44 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yeah I will be ok either way... only thing I don't want to happen is Miller leaving for free. 

And absolutely need an upgrade on the D + more size with speed. 

Yeah, we simply don't have the organizational depth in the system or at the NHL level to have guys walk for nothing 

It'd set us back

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Trading Miller will be taking a couple steps back. Rutherford and Allvin have said as much.  

From Boudreau’s comments post game about the effort from Miller being outstanding, I’m thinking BB might not want to be here if Miller is traded.  

I'm okay with steps back to take several steps forward, doesn't bother me

I'm not convinced he'll be back either way, I could see Al wanting to bring in his own guy, or Bruce getting an offer he likes more somewhere else

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yeah I will be ok either way... only thing I don't want to happen is Miller leaving for free. 

And absolutely need an upgrade on the D + more size with speed. 

I doubt the team has the funds for all three of Brock, Miller and Horvat mid-long term.   Flat cap ... what bad timing. What they do have is a chance to see what they can do next season in the playoffs, and think they will take that chance.    

Just now, IBatch said:

I doubt the team has the funds for all three of Brock, Miller and Horvat mid-long term.   Flat cap ... what bad timing. What they do have is a chance to see what they can do next season in the playoffs, and think they will take that chance.    

depends on what they do with Garland, I think that will be one of the big decision points, who's the right one to retain, Brock or Garland... you can make a case for each one to be moved or retained. 

Some of it of course is in Brock and his agents court, if they won't agree on something reasonable (low 6's?) long term then I think its likely Brock moved out. 

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why?  Because they're the three best friends that anyone could have and they've made a blood pact to never play without the other two?

the hangover singing GIF

No, it's obvious what the reasons are, but of course you reply with a rhetorical question and a meme gif.  

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

or they just don't want to stick around for 2-4 years of another rebuild. 

These guys are professionals, they've all dealt with trades many, many times and I doubt they think they'd sink without Miller.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

depends on what they do with Garland, I think that will be one of the big decision points, who's the right one to retain, Brock or Garland... you can make a case for each one to be moved or retained. 

Some of it of course is in Brock and his agents court, if they won't agree on something reasonable (low 6's?) long term then I think its likely Brock moved out. 

Yes for sure.   Garland with Brocks PP time could be the smarter player to keep.   In the end i doubt it will be much more then a million a year to keep Brock on a similar deal that Garland has.     Too late too little.    I think he gets his 7.5 QO for one year OR mediation.     Also think the team is going to wait awhile longer before making any big decisions.     One at most during the draft or off season. 

• Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It'll be a ripple effect.  If Miller is moved, I think Bo will want out.  Petey will once his contract is done, etc.  

Bull$&!#, Petey and Horvat knows they still are the future.

Miller is just a mercenarie still that wants his payday.

Benning really screwed the ”team”…

Edited by Timråfan

1 minute ago, stawns said:

These guys are professionals, they've all dealt with trades many, many times and I doubt they think they'd sink without Miller.

OK, but where is the 90pts and C talent going to come from next season if we move on from Miller? 

And please give me more than the 'step back to move fwd' thing, thats a vision, not a plan. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2