The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | April/May (24-01) 2022

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Lmao

They also smashed the man games lost record by more than 100 games.   They were forced to dress 46 different players this season due to injury/COVID.  So essentially they iced enough players for two completely different rosters.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Vegas wasn't gifted anything, to be honest it was a masterful performance by their GM at the time to accumulate side deals for picks. Also they constructed an incredibly deep team and did so on a string budget. Now they are one of the richest teams in the league, they earned their stripes.

It is shocking and really sad to see big teams miss because jobs are lost, players are moved, families torn apart, fans rage etc. As sad as it sounds losing is fine in smaller markets like Vancouver, Buffalo, Ottawa, etc teams that are used to not making the playoffs it doesn't affect  a lot but when a big team misses it there is a ripple effect.

I honestly feel really bad for fans of bigger teams because when they lose its 10X worse for them as a fan than it is for us in Vancouver with limited expectations you see my point? Where is the commodatry as fans?

What the hell are you talking about?  There is fallout for every team that doesn’t make the playoffs.  And did you really just call Vancouver a smaller market team? Lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Vegas wasn't gifted anything, to be honest it was a masterful performance by their GM at the time to accumulate side deals for picks. Also they constructed an incredibly deep team and did so on a string budget. Now they are one of the richest teams in the league, they earned their stripes.

It is shocking and really sad to see big teams miss because jobs are lost, players are moved, families torn apart, fans rage etc. As sad as it sounds losing is fine in smaller markets like Vancouver, Buffalo, Ottawa, etc teams that are used to not making the playoffs it doesn't affect  a lot but when a big team misses it there is a ripple effect.

I honestly feel really bad for fans of bigger teams because when they lose its 10X worse for them as a fan than it is for us in Vancouver with limited expectations you see my point? Where is the commodatry as fans?

Vancouver is a bigger market than Vegas.  Slightly bigger population, and a much longer history for the game. 

The players made available were far better (due to restrictive protection rules) and more numerous than previous expansion drafts.  So, some gifting going on there.

I for one am glad they missed out. Especially with that clown Eichel aboard.

Bigger teams likely also have other major sports teams to cheer for, so they can make it through the leaner years more easily.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Vancouver is a bigger market than Vegas.  Slightly bigger population, and a much longer history for the game. 

The players made available were far better (due to restrictive protection rules) and more numerous than previous expansion drafts.  So, some gifting going on there.

I for one am glad they missed out. Especially with that clown Eichel aboard.

Bigger teams likely also have other major sports teams to cheer for, so they can make it through the leaner years more easily.

My point is that it is way harder on bigger teams, more elite teams that miss the playoffs than it is for bubble teams like Vancouver for a number of reasons. Think about it, fans are far more unforgiving to a team expected to be a contender than not.

When fans are more unforgiving that means players take a lot more flack, need to find excuses on a wider scale and deal with highly annoyed public etc the bigger the expectations the bigger the fall. Which is sad to see if you really care about human beings and players and fans in other markets its heartbreaking (at least to me) to see big giants fall, I don't laugh or feel good about it i see beyond the petty rivalries. Again I am a huge Canucks fan but the expectation of this team is far lower than what Vegas, Toronto, Edmonton etc teams that have superior star power and massive revenue to spend on any player with huge top #1 picks these guys are a shoe in to the playoffs every year so its devastating, almost sureal to their fans of they flop early and trust me it sucks, sucks a lot to be a fan in a market of a winner that turns to be a stinker. We are lucky here in Vancouver because our team has minimal expectations, we are rebuilding and fans are far more lenient and tolerable of non playoffs but man other makers its crushing to see what happened with Vegas esp this year. 

12 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

My point is that it is way harder on bigger teams, more elite teams that miss the playoffs than it is for bubble teams like Vancouver for a number of reasons. Think about it, fans are far more unforgiving to a team expected to be a contender than not.

When fans are more unforgiving that means players take a lot more flack, need to find excuses on a wider scale and deal with highly annoyed public etc the bigger the expectations the bigger the fall. Which is sad to see if you really care about human beings and players and fans in other markets its heartbreaking (at least to me) to see big giants fall, I don't laugh or feel good about it i see beyond the petty rivalries. Again I am a huge Canucks fan but the expectation of this team is far lower than what Vegas, Toronto, Edmonton etc teams that have superior star power and massive revenue to spend on any player with huge top #1 picks these guys are a shoe in to the playoffs every year so its devastating, almost sureal to their fans of they flop early and trust me it sucks, sucks a lot to be a fan in a market of a winner that turns to be a stinker. We are lucky here in Vancouver because our team has minimal expectations, we are rebuilding and fans are far more lenient and tolerable of non playoffs but man other makers its crushing to see what happened with Vegas esp this year. 

I dunno.  I get that we had lower expectations, but the sucking can still hurt some players.  Players move on all teams.

Vegas player movement was going to happen anyway, given their cap BS this year.

I have even less empathy for Leafs and Oiler fans, given how the media pumps their teams up incessantly, despite horrid management. The fans eat it up, up until they miss the playoffs or piss it away in the first round.

I don't care about shoe-ins.  You gotta play the games and get in, and half the teams in the league don't make it.  There's always surprises each year.  Vegas traded away (or let go) a lot of heart from last year, and I would have kept Fleury over Lehner in a heartbeat. Canucks are in one of their worst season-level slumps ever, and we deserve better.  Expectations were high enough before the season started, and we were let down again.

Vegas better get used to the letdowns, as next year won't get any easier for them, IMO.

Also, to quote Brian Shelby (Vanilla Sky): Just remember, the sweet is never as sweet without the sour, and I know the sour. Vegas needs to learn some disappointment, so they can be like the rest of the teams.

Edited by Kragar
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Now you're really losing me! Hockey has more tradition in Vancouver than Vegas ever will have, and we have a much larger hockey market than Vega too.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

You could say that Vegas doesn’t care the same way you do about their own players at all. Which is a big reason why people on this forum and across the league are happy to see them out and fail. 

Exhibit (A) Nate Schmidt:

One of the original members of the Knights and was awarded a fresh new 6 year 35,700,000 contract in 2019-2020. Bought a house and thought he would be Knight for life but was expendable right after the Knights signed AP7 in free agency and MS88 was the not the new shiny toy like AP was. Schmit was choked about the move. Not a good way to treat a loyal troop of the team and human being. 

Exhibit (B) Marc Andre Fleury:

What can you say about the constant professional and amazing human Flower has been on and off the ice. He was the teams first superstar and won the Vezina last year. He was also traded…for nothing to Chicago. He has a family and also had a house he called home in Vegas. But the team thought trading their “goalie of the year” for Lehner was the right move. Didn’t turn out that way but happy to see Flower thrive in Minny and has a shot to win the cup this year for the wild. Is that a way to treat an original member of your club that did his best and help grow the game in Nevada in his first 4 years there, what else could the man have done other than win them the cup in 2018? Again not a good treatment for a stand out human being.

Exhibit (C) Gerard Gallant:

After having instant success for 2 1/2 seasons with the Knights he was canned before he could even get a third kick at the can (Stanley cup playoffs) quite a irrational move to make seeing how successful he was with the team but they went with Pete and I’m sure he will get his walking papers this off season as well. At least Vegas didn’t fire him in the middle of a road trip where he had to wave down a cab. (Florida Panthers)

Exhibit (D) Evgeni Dadonov: 

Not even a year into his new club they wanted to trade him (without looking at the details of his contract wither that’s Ottawa’s or VGK’s fault somebody didn’t read the devil in the details of his NTC) to Anaheim for Kesler who we all know will never play again. So that they could fit Eichel and Stone under the cap for a push into the playoffs. Dadonov has been a absolute professional before and after this mess and teams dead obvious intention to circumvent the cap. 

I am sure there are a few more names that I am missing (Tuch,Reaves) but these are who come to mind when I think of this teams roster shuffling/cut throat way of dealing/treating their players.

There are many hockey fans like myself that look at the way Vegas treats its players in a cutthroat style and it’s easy to dislike them. While sure it’s a business and these are paid professionals. They are human beings as you said and they have family’s that do have to be divided because of these moves. I think Vegas is one of the biggest culprits of mistreating these players/human beings in the last half decade. 

Also of note. Vancouver is not a small market team and the expectations of every market big or small is to win the Stanley Cup every year. All teams that fall short of at least making the playoffs have turnover such as benchmarks and expectations in the workplace. No matter what market/team it is in. Every team has to endure some pain before they have championship success and Vegas is no exception.

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Matchups and home-ice advantage are still undecided this last game-day of the regular season - only LAK @EDM is set.

TBL (108) - BOS (107) for 3rd in the Atlantic @TOR or wildcard-1 @CAR.  BOS has the tie-breaker.  TBL @NYI and BOS @TOR

PIT (101) - WSH (100) for 3rd in the Metro @NYR or wildcard-2 @FLA.  PIT has the tie-breaker.  CBJ @PIT and WSH @NYR

MIN (111) - STL (109) for home ice advantage.  STL has the tie-breaker.   COL @MIN and VGK @STL

NSH (97) - DAL (96) for wildcard order to play COL or CGY.    NSH has the tie-breaker.   NSH @ARI and ANA @DAL

On 4/27/2022 at 7:38 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

High ankle sprain per Alex Daugherty of AtoZSports.  Friedman quoted him in his 32 Thoughts' podcast and believes that's indeed the injury.  Friedman not willing to give a timeline but says it doesn't look good.