The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Allvin & Rutherford Press Summary

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

25 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Bingo. I don't see a fundamental difference in what we are hearing from the Rutherford regime than what we heard from the Benning regime. Improve the defence, get younger and faster, add skill, see what's available in free agency, see what the market looks like and if a deal makes our team better, we'll make a move. Seriously, when you look at the public utterances from Benning and Rutherford, they are/were saying pretty much the same thing. Using different words, but the message is the same. As always, as Higgyfan says, their actions will define their competence, not their words. Reminds me of the saying "After all is said and done, more is usually said than done." But do I think Rutherford is better than Benning? In many ways, yes, but taking personalities and personal communication styles out of the equation, how is the message different?

JR is obviously a Hall of famer.  But Patrik Allvin has less experience than Benning and it shows.  People like to disparage the way Benning communicated but is Allvin any better?  He's a puppet at this point.  None of the 100 AGM's that JR hired have more experience than Benning and none have proven anything.  I don't think any of them are great communicators either.  JR seems to love all of them.  JR did his job and got the most diverse GM team in the history of sports.  Let's see now if it actually leads to results on the ice.

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

People like you have been saying it all season and got ripped on here.

Now the GM says it and everyone on board lol.

respectfully disagree Chris...

Think its been acknowledge by just about everyone that the RHD needs to be improved...

There differences is, how folks what to improve it...

We all know what Myers problems are, but without him, where is the strength on our back line? I don't mind seeing him go, but we will than need 2 strong, mean crease clearing D-men instead of 1...

I see folks suggesting Rathbone together with Dermot.... unless Rathbone have come leaps and bounces from where he was last year, when he was tested, they will be hammered... we got OEL and Hughes as offensive D... OEL is held back, as he has to babysit Myers, so where do we go? Personally I'd like a 3rd pairing that could defend and that's it... 

Anyway that's how I see it :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why do you dislike Dermott?  I thought he did very well for a new, young guy coming in. Plays a defensively responsible game. 

Rathbone can do what Dermott does and has much more potential.  So I don't see what place he has in next year's lineup.  A 7th Dman?  I would rather have had that 3rd round pick than Dermott.  We can pick up a 7th Dman at any time in free agency at minimum wage, not at $1.5 million.

The Hamonic trade made total sense.  The Dermott trade not so much...

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rathbone can do what Dermott does and has much more potential. 

Disagree, Rathbone isn't a physical Dman or able to take the punishment Dermott does, IMO.

Dermott  6'0 202

Rathbone 5'10 177

• Vintage 2

52 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rathbone will give us another great puck mover next year.  Schenn could be his partner on the 3rd pairing.

We definitely need to upgrade on the other 2 spots on the right side.  I'd be in favour of trading Myers just to free up the cap space to get a better RHD to partner with OEL.  Lyubushkin is a UFA and I think would be a great partner for OEL.  As for Hughes, we need to obviously trade at least one asset up front to get a young RHD for Hughes.

Main thing is they are defensively astute.... 

Biggest problem with Myers is that the likes to roam, so he really needs someone to keep it tight at the back...this stiffles OEL...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Disagree, Rathbone isn't a physical Dman or able to take the punishment Dermott does, IMO.

Dermott  6'0 202

Rathbone 5'10 177

Rathbone is 190 pounds.  Have you seen him without equipment on?  He's a gym rat.  Dermott is not very big or physical.  Rathbone's offensive potential is off the charts.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rathbone can do what Dermott does and has much more potential.  So I don't see what place he has in next year's lineup.  A 7th Dman?  I would rather have had that 3rd round pick than Dermott.  We can pick up a 7th Dman at any time in free agency at minimum wage, not at $1.5 million.

The Hamonic trade made total sense.  The Dermott trade not so much...

When you look at the big picture, it was a good trade.  By including the Hamonic trade, the Nucks

end up with a younger, cheaper (1.5m) dman + Otts 3rd round pick (which is higher than the one

sent to TO).  I liked Hamonic, but he really needed to be moved (for various reasons).

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Main thing is they are defensively astute.... 

Biggest problem with Myers is that the likes to roam, so he really needs someone to keep it tight at the back...this sniffles OEL...

Myers is all we got on that right side.  That's the biggest problem.  Schenn should be on the 3rd pairing.  If we can move Myers and his contract that would free up alot of cap space to be able to keep Miller and Boeser.  We can sign Lyubushkin as a UFA to play with OEL which would be a huge upgrade defensively on Myers and Podkolzin has another Russian to play with.  Bring in Kuzmenko and we are suddenly a much better offensive team.  The trick is to get a partner for Hughes.  Would trading Garland and Höglander be enough to get that stud RHD to pair with Hughes?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rathbone is 190 pounds.  Have you seen him without equipment on?  He's a gym rat.  Dermott is not very big or physical.  Rathbone's offensive potential is off the charts.  

What is obvious is not so much about their heights but their ability to process the game

52 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Ok, let's make sure we get some clarity here.  Rutherford is a 3-time Stanley Cup champion, but I'll put an asterisk on 2 of them. 

Here are my thoughts.

Pittsburgh Penguins

- He joined Pittsburgh in June 2014. 

- He inherited a team that had consistently finished 1st or 2nd in the division, and made the playoffs every year the preceding 7 years before he got there.

- In those 7 years before he got there, that core had already won a Cup.

- That core of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury were already there and just about to hit their prime years (ages 26 to 29).

- I don't think there's any surprise that those 4 core players won 2 more Cups in the peak of their prime while Rutherford was there.

Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes

- He joined Hartford in June 1994.

- Won the Cup with Carolina in 2006.

I'd argue that his performance with Hartford/Carolina is more impressive.  I mean, it did take him 12 years to get the Cup there, but he did it.  Including drafting key guys like Staal, Ward, Cole, etc.  Bringing in Justin Williams and others.

I just think JR might be a little overrated because of his Penguins tenure.  Is he a good GM?  Of course, but the caveat is that I'm pretty sure most of the GMs in the league could have won a Cup with arguably 4 of the best players in their positions of this entire generation. 

But he made like 14 moves to bring Pittsburgh back to back cups. Think of the last 14 moves Benning made...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

When you look at the big picture, it was a good trade.  By including the Hamonic trade, the Nucks

end up with a younger, cheaper (1.5m) dman + Otts 3rd round pick (which is higher than the one

sent to TO).  I liked Hamonic, but he really needed to be moved (for various reasons).

Dermott was a decent fill in for this year.  However, for next year Rathbone will come in and blow everyone away and Dermott will be the 7th Dman...

• Vintage 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Myers is all we got on that right side.  That's the biggest problem.  Schenn should be on the 3rd pairing.  If we can move Myers and his contract that would free up alot of cap space to be able to keep Miller and Boeser.  We can sign Lyubushkin as a UFA to play with OEL which would be a huge upgrade defensively on Myers and Podkolzin has another Russian to play with.  Bring in Kuzmenko and we are suddenly a much better offensive team.  The trick is to get a partner for Hughes.  Would trading Garland and Höglander be enough to get that stud RHD to pair with Hughes?

Yes that is the big issue... how much will it take, to cover both OEL and Hughes... If this it all it takes (Garland and Hogs) I'd do this without blinking an eyelid... 

Like both players, but they are not core players.... 

Anything goes except for 3-4 players to make us defensive astute... elite level defensively...

If they can trade Myers that will free up some cap space.  Should target just Defensive Defenceman on the right side.  Have puck moving D on the left side.

Hughes               ?

OEL               Dermott

Rathbone      Schenn 

Burroughs     Poolman

Not sure where Poolman places.  Maybe he gets traded.  He looked fine in some games (shot blocking).

Dunno…

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dermott was a decent fill in for this year.  However, for next year Rathbone will come in and blow everyone away and Dermott will be the 7th Dman...

I so hope you're right EP.... it could to turn this team around from being a maybe play offs player to a contender.... honestly believe that, as long as they find some proper defenders....

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

But he made like 14 moves to bring Pittsburgh back to back cups. Think of the last 14 moves Benning made...

He brought in some great supporting players, but you gotta wonder how much of it has to do with the fact they had Crosby and Malkin up front, and Letang eating up huge minutes on the back end. 

I just think half the league's GMs could have won cups with that core.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He brought in some great supporting players, but you gotta wonder how much of it has to do with the fact they had Crosby and Malkin up front, and Letang eating up huge minutes on the back end. 

Yeah it’s easy!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Yeah it’s easy!

It is when you have that kind of core to work with...

Add Cale Makar and Thatcher Demko to the Oilers and tell me they wouldn't win a cup or 2.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

JR definitely benefitted from having Crosby, Malkin and Letang.  JR even pointed out when he was hired that VAN has never had a 1st overall and they need that. Makes me wonder if he has plans for a blockbuster at the Draft, or maybe he'll sign Letang in the off season.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hard to predict the future.  Rath might be traded by then, or maybe he struggles with an 82g season,

(as he's only played 55gs in the past 2 seasons).  Regardless, Dermott is a physical bottom

pairing dman who is solid in his own zone.  He could easily be traded, or they keep him as a very

good option during the usual injuries. 

• Upvote 1